Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new to this Fan Club, with my 2015 VW Touareg Sport (w/ no trailer hitch).
Just yesterday, I installed a OEM Trailer Hitch from 2012 VW Touareg TDI LUX that had the OEM wiring hardness.
?: is does my 2015 T-Reg come with the Towing Control Module Pre-Installed?
I have the Trailer Hitch and Trailer Connector trailer plug receptacle (7L0 055 305N) at the hitch.
I thinking I am missing the OEM Volkswagen Touareg Vehicle Towing Module Controller # 4H0-907-383-M-Z01. What is the correct part # for this Towing Module Controller???

Can this Towing Module Controller be by-passed? Not trying to go cheap, just trying to understand better. I also get that the other models are similar, the Audi Q7 and the Porsche Cayenne.

?: Does this Towing Module Controller also handle the Electric Brake of the Trailers?

Thank you very much in advance, for any help and assistance.

Rick

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can only answer one of your questions:
: Does this Towing Module Controller also handle the Electric Brake of the Trailers?
No, you will still require an aftermarket brake controller to handle the electric brakes on the trailer.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You have two choices.
1. Install all of the VW wiring and the trailer module and adapt the electronics for it and then add an electric brake controller for the trailer. The wiring may or may not be present, but if it is then the blue wire for the brake would be run from the front to the back. Either way the brake controller will have to be added,
2. Buy a trailer light adapter from a company like eTrailer and forgo the module and it's program changes to the way the car's systems adapt to towing.
This means that the gear box will not make changes to its operation for towing nor will the engine and cooling systems either, but that may not make a lot of difference.
You would still have to install the electric brakes if needed again either way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can only answer one of your questions:
: Does this Towing Module Controller also handle the Electric Brake of the Trailers?
No, you will still require an aftermarket brake controller to handle the electric brakes on the trailer.
Thanks, I was afraid of that answer. But thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the advise. on the question of "Towing Control Module".

?: is does 2015-2017 T-Reg come with the "Towing Control Module" Pre-Installed? (inside the rear quarter passenger panel ).

If the SUV did not come with the OEM hitch from factory? the TC Module would not be there at all correct? Just sitting behind the rear quarter passenger panel ? I would have a get one right?

I have the Trailer Hitch and Trailer Connector trailer plug receptacle (7L0 055 305N) at the hitch.

I thinking I am missing the OEM Volkswagen Touareg Vehicle Towing Module Controller # 4H0-907-383-M-Z01. What is the correct part # for this Towing Module Controller???

Pls Confirm number part?

Many many thanks

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
A brake controller plugs directly into the factory trailer wiring

The factory module enables a LOT of tow mode optimizations that are critical to towing

·
Registered
6 Posts
If it didn't come from the factory with a hitch, it will not have the module installed unless someone added everything. A quick scan with VagCom will let you know if it has the tow module, but a brake control module will have to be added anyway you go.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If it has the tow prep it has the module.
No tow prep, np module.
The hitch is a different question.
I assume most with the tow prep also have the hitch, but not necessarily

·
Registered
20 Posts
Rick - Check out some of the posts I have made. I was in exactly your situation. The factory tow module IS available (if not from dealer then second hand readily), but the wiring harness is NOT. You might be able to get a porsche harness to use, but it will likely cost you dearly. It appears to be approx $700. Or you get the aftermarket harness from etrailer (tekonsha) for like $60 and install in less than an hour.

For trailer brake, you can run wires from the front down to the back, or try and tap into the T6d plug (possibly, have not tried), or you can use the Curt Echo bluetooth plugin controller. This works well, the only downside being is that it is on your phone and the plug projects towards the ground because of the angle of the plug.

·
Registered
19 Posts
On our 2016 Touareg and Sonic 168VRB travel trailer we have a Tekonsha 90250 Prodigy RF Electronic Brake Controller. It's not cheap but works well. We've used it for 4 years on 3 trailers (tent trailer, 15' TT trailer and 21' TT trailer) with no problems. It plugs into the 12V dash/armrest outlet with the main unit on the tongue of the trailer. No wiring to have to deal with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I installed the curt hitch and tekonsha wiring from etrailer. On an 09 vr6. The hardest part was running the power wire from the engine bay to the rear. Which wasn’t really difficult at all. I don’t need a brake controller right now so I can’t help you there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts