Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes in my TDI I hit the start button then shift to D before the engine starts, causing to not start. I can't restart right away after putting it back in P. Eventually I can start up normally after a noise in the dash, but it takes a while. I haven't been able to start it quickly. Any ideas on how to "reset" quickly?

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Explain your reason for wanting to start your car this way. I don't get it. I would think wait for it to start then put it into drive. You should have no issues that way.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not doing this on purpose. I'm used to the V8 that you could hit the start button shift and go. With the TDI there is a slight lag between when you hit the start button and the engine starts. If you mistakenly shift too early to D then the car won't start for a while. I'm trying to figure out how to undo what I did.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
On my TDI, I press the start button, let the glow plugs warm up while I fasten my seatbelt then press it again for instant start.

To solve your problem try getting out, locking your door then unlock, get in and do the above /\

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
You need to buy a better getaway car :)

On a serious note, there is a safety lockout that prevents the vehicle from being started if in gear and if the brake pedal isn't pressed.

Also the TDI has glowplugs that need a bit of time to warm up the combustion chamber - if this doesn't happen the vehicle won't start no matter how long the engine turns over.

·
Registered
850 Posts
2015 TDI must be different from 2013 TDI ? I don't have a key-less start system, but I turn the key FOB in the dash while pushing the brake and it starts in less than 2 seconds. There is no glow plug warm up that I can discern, even in the Winter, it just starts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I am not sure, but I think when you unlock the door, the glow plugs start warming up or at least the computers all get started up. If you leave the vehicle unlocked and just hop in and the vehicle is cold, I think it takes a little longer to start.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I work with someone who is a fast start-and-go driver. Typically uses remote start such that drive or reverse can be engaged as he is getting in. I have never seen him back up or drive away with both feet in yet. Perhaps you could go remote start and join the crowd that needs to be on their way before being in all the way?
I am type A myself, but having driven a old gasser manual for years I know how much slower any automatic nowadays is to start and drive...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
2015 TDI must be different from 2013 TDI ? I don't have a key-less start system, but I turn the key FOB in the dash while pushing the brake and it starts in less than 2 seconds. There is no glow plug warm up that I can discern, even in the Winter, it just starts.
My TDI takes between 2 and 3 seconds to start once the button is pressed where as my V8 FSI starts instantly once the button is pressed.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My TDI takes between 2 and 3 seconds to start once the button is pressed where as my V8 FSI starts instantly once the button is pressed.
Same here, normal for the glow plugs to warm the cylinder first on my MY15 as well as most diesels produced in the world today.
The exception would be in very warm temperatures or hot starts the plugs would not be needed and cycle very quickly.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
NTHC (new high temperature ceramic) glow plugs will heat to 1000 degrees C in approximately 2seconds, and are extremely durable. A far cry from the old standard, or even the quick start glow plugs used in small diesels of a few years ago.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
NTHC (new high temperature ceramic) glow plugs will heat to 1000 degrees C in approximately 2seconds, and are extremely durable. A far cry from the old standard, or even the quick start glow plugs used in small diesels of a few years ago.
No kidding, I still remember the days of waiting 30 seconds for glow plugs to heat things up.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I am not sure, but I think when you unlock the door, the glow plugs start warming up or at least the computers all get started up. If you leave the vehicle unlocked and just hop in and the vehicle is cold, I think it takes a little longer to start.
When you open the door the fuel pump turns on (you can hear the buzz) and some systems get ready. But the glow plugs don't do anything until the start sequence begins.

·
Registered
465 Posts
When you open the door the fuel pump turns on (you can hear the buzz) and some systems get ready. But the glow plugs don't do anything until the start sequence begins.
This answers a question I have had for years. Thanks. Also, I'll start wait for the RPMS to drop from 1100 to normal ~700 in about 20 seconds and then put it in drive. Like some oil pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts