Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All, Been in a 2015 TDI now for 3 weeks and have a question about the fuel tank size/reserve.

As I always do with a new vehicle I run the tank almost empty before refueling to see what its got for reserve. Basically I just run it until Range = 0 on trip computer or Fuel Gauge stops moving lower which ever comes last LOL.

So 1st time I did this the the Treg took 101.7 liters of diesel. Hmmm, ok, isn't the tank only 100 liters? Chalked that up to poor calibration or temperature variations.

Just did my 2nd fill up on a Pump with a calibration from only a few months ago. Same thing, 101.3 Liters this time.

Is this normal? There is no reserve in this truck?

Has anyone ever run out and then filled up? How much did it take?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Ditto. I try to fill up at 1/4 but never go below 1/8 (red area). I prefer to keep the fuel pump submerged at all times.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea yea I know its not good to run out of Fuel I know that. I am glad I didn't run out but I will still do the above procedure again for every vehicle that I buy. I like to know what I have for Fuel.

This is my 7th VAG car. Smallest reserve to this point was my 2008 passat at about 8 liters, so I did not believe I was ever in any danger of running out when apparently I was!

My Toyota Tundra is on the other end of the spectrum. Bloody thing has 25L fuel left when range = 0. Ridiculous

Interesting tho that this vehicle has 0 reserve. Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hey All, Been in a 2015 TDI now for 3 weeks and have a question about the fuel tank size/reserve.

As I always do with a new vehicle I run the tank almost empty before refueling to see what its got for reserve. Basically I just run it until Range = 0 on trip computer or Fuel Gauge stops moving lower which ever comes last LOL.

So 1st time I did this the the Treg took 101.7 liters of diesel. Hmmm, ok, isn't the tank only 100 liters? Chalked that up to poor calibration or temperature variations.

Just did my 2nd fill up on a Pump with a calibration from only a few months ago. Same thing, 101.3 Liters this time.

Is this normal? There is no reserve in this truck?

Has anyone ever run out and then filled up? How much did it take?
DO NOT RUN THE TDI TANK CLOSE TO EMPTY - EVER.

If you want to know why, read up on HPFP failures. Cost? Up to $16,000.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
100L is the tank capacity, theres additional capacity in the fuel filter chamber, pumps, lines and nozzles.

fwiw if you run your TDI dry you very likely would have damaged the very costly fuel pump system...which would not be a manufacturers defect and would come out of your pocket. A 16k experiment is no fun at all..

generally VAG vehicles are calibrated such that when range shows 0km left you have about 15km left over.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
100L is the tank capacity, theres additional capacity in the fuel filter chamber, pumps, lines and nozzles.

fwiw if you run your TDI dry you very likely would have damaged the very costly fuel pump system.
All the more reason I would have thought there would be a reserve.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
All the more reason I would have thought there would be a reserve.
so you want the car to tell you its empty when it isnt?not understanding what you're trying to find.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so you want the car to tell you its empty when it isnt?not understanding what you're trying to find.

The Touareg will be my wife's primary vehicle. I just went out and took a look at my wifes current primary vehicle. :anger:
Make sense now?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Tell your wife what I said and the very real potential cost of being stubborn about riding her luck by not filling up at the 1/4 tank mark.

If her bank balance can stand a big hit, fine, but I think she'd probably rather be spending that kind of money on the family [or clothes for herself]!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tell your wife what I said and the very real potential cost of being stubborn about riding her luck by not filling up at the 1/4 tank mark.

If her bank balance can stand a big hit, fine, but I think she'd probably rather be spending that kind of money on the family [or clothes for herself]!
I just made her read this thread. She said "got it, 1/4 tank is the new empty" LOL. We shall see.

You think VW would make you pay for all this expense if you ran out of fuel and did damage while under warranty??

·
Registered
969 Posts
I doubt it, but then again they are the same company that advertises 700 miles on a single tank.

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
The Touareg will be my wife's primary vehicle. I just went out and took a look at my wifes current primary vehicle. :anger:
Make sense now?

I'm familiar with this phenomena :)

·
Premium Member
10,219 Posts
I just made her read this thread. She said "got it, 1/4 tank is the new empty" LOL. We shall see.

You think VW would make you pay for all this expense if you ran out of fuel and did damage while under warranty??
I'd guess very unlikely as damage is caused by owner and not by a defect in materials...similar concept to warranty not paying for accident damage.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts