Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

My ACC/Park Assist system developed a fault a few days ago that is intermittently displaying the "unavailable" error with a high frequency, i.e. system activates for a few seconds then shuts down for seconds/minutes, and re-activates again. Then rinse and repeat. This would be annoying in itself, but the annoyance is highly compounded by the fact that the back-up camera is also inop, as it's apparently tied to the same components, and every time the system goes down, and/or car stops, several alert tones start chiming. And no way to shut them off. Diagnostic codes show an undervoltage and a short. Dealer ran the test plan and discovered that the parking aid control module (7P0907801-G) is not communicating with any of the sensors. Recommendation is to replace the module, which is apparently an almost $2k job. The part itself is about $700. Car has almost 70k miles and no extended warranty, with the exception of the VW TDI emission-related coverage, which doesn't seem to include this repair. Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you run a full scan with a VAG/VCDS cable? I've been having a somewhat similar issue that I've not been able to resolve with the "ACC not available" and when scanning, I get an image processor error stating no signal from camera on startup, check video cable or something.

The price you mentioned is VW retail but check ebay, I see one for $68 and it might be worth looking into whether it's as easy as swapping it out. If VW is quoting 2k, it's possible this requires the alignment/calibration as well or they're just ripping you off cuz $1300 in labor is pretty high.

I'm tormented by the chimes as well but have kinda given up for the time being, VW has been completely useless when reaching out to a dealer or customer care but I still have some additional coverage through my insurance that I may leverage cuz this is also an expensive repair if I can't do it myself.

Sorry I don't have an answer for you but if you can do a full scan, you should post it here and more importantly post it on the ross-tech forums.

Hello All.

My ACC/Park Assist system developed a fault a few days ago that is intermittently displaying the "unavailable" error with a high frequency, i.e. system activates for a few seconds then shuts down for seconds/minutes, and re-activates again. Then rinse and repeat. This would be annoying in itself, but the annoyance is highly compounded by the fact that the back-up camera is also inop, as it's apparently tied to the same components, and every time the system goes down, and/or car stops, several alert tones start chiming. And no way to shut them off. Diagnostic codes show an undervoltage and a short. Dealer ran the test plan and discovered that the parking aid control module (7P0907801-G) is not communicating with any of the sensors. Recommendation is to replace the module, which is apparently an almost $2k job. The part itself is about $700. Car has almost 70k miles and no extended warranty, with the exception of the VW TDI emission-related coverage, which doesn't seem to include this repair. Has anyone had this issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a cable yet but saw the print-out from my mechanic who was getting 2 errors - low voltage, and a short. Min voltage for the system to function is apparently 5 and diagnostics were returning 2.6. There was also an intermittent short recorded. I happened to be at the dealer for another (warranty) issue and decided to pay them $160 to trace the problem. They said that the control module is not communicating with any sensors and recommended replacement. Part is almost $700 pre-tax but available on the web for about $450. However, dealer says access is difficult and takes over 5 hrs of work, including programming/calibration, hence the nearly $2k bill. I saw the cheap modules on eBay as well, mostly from European chop shops, but have been told by my mechanic that those are unusable. Apparently VAG designs them to be code-locked to the initially programmed VIN and that cannot be changed to function in another car - hence the reason they're so cheap second-hand.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It looks like the parking aid control module sits in the driver's footwell under the instrument cluster. According to the service manual, there's a fuse panel that needs to be removed but aside from that, it looks like a simple process to remove and replace the module so I'm thinking there must be some other labor/calibration involved. The service manual references "Adapting the parking aid control module" but that also seems less involved than calibrating the ACC stuff I was running into, it seems like they need to run a sequence of diagnostic commands with the "vehicle diagnostic tester". So I'm not really sure if they're possibly overcharging for this is or if it's actually more labor intensive than it sounds. I've been to 5 different VW dealerships mostly for my covered service intervals and all but one really sucked so I especially don't trust them.

Also, many of these modules do in fact need to be re-coded or unlocked (i forget the exact term) BUT I have seen the info on how to do some modules in the ross-tech forums, the only modules that I noticed looked more difficult/impossible to re-code seemed to be for the immobilizer and maybe airbags? I can take a look over there if you don't have access, there was a sub-forum or sticky on the access codes to unlock most of these modules.

Anyway, wish I had the solution for you but I would try to get some more info from your dealer as to what needs to be done. If you don't have the service manual, it was posted on here by someone else not too long ago but you might want to check it out just to fill in some of the blanks.

Don't have a cable yet but saw the print-out from my mechanic who was getting 2 errors - low voltage, and a short. Min voltage for the system to function is apparently 5 and diagnostics were returning 2.6. There was also an intermittent short recorded. I happened to be at the dealer for another (warranty) issue and decided to pay them $160 to trace the problem. They said that the control module is not communicating with any sensors and recommended replacement. Part is almost $700 pre-tax but available on the web for about $450. However, dealer says access is difficult and takes over 5 hrs of work, including programming/calibration, hence the nearly $2k bill. I saw the cheap modules on eBay as well, mostly from European chop shops, but have been told by my mechanic that those are unusable. Apparently VAG designs them to be code-locked to the initially programmed VIN and that cannot be changed to function in another car - hence the reason they're so cheap second-hand.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Very helpful. Does the service manual list the part number for that module in the footwell as the one I mentioned? Maybe there‘s another more difficult to access?

I don’t have the service manual but will see if I can find one. Sounds like you have a copy? If it’s a PDF and you’d be willing to share, I’d greatly appreciate it...

Should have VCDS shortly and will post diagnostics here, but I just rented it for a week so can’t verify as a Ross-Tech user to post there. I do have access reader access to the forum though; will see if I can find re-coding instructions. The used modules are cheap enough that it might be worth a try even if it doesn’t work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
No, I don't see anywhere in the service manual where it states the part number that corresponds to the terminology they use. In your case, if it's truly the "parking aid control module" that seems to be specific enough and the manual refers to it by name as well as J446. The the entire parking aid system has additional components that it describes in the manual. Here's the link that another member posted (chewblekka):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pmQFIsjQ2rbGifiZi0F1M0805gQWEDLc/view?usp=sharing
If for some reason that doesn't work, let me know and I'll post it somewhere.

The cable will definitely help narrow it down and you might be able to get it all sorted out in a week. But yeah, I would see if I can get those unlock codes or whatever they call them so you can confirm whether the dealer is just steering you down the VW official route or if it really isn't possible to install a used one, wouldn't a new module still need to be assigned to your VIN?

Like I said, I'm still in the middle of figuring out my ACC issue so I share the frustration with troubleshooting some of these things.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spent some time with dealer again. They've now retracted previous statement and are saying that 7P6-919-475-D is the needed module. This is a considerably less expensive part, so at least that's progress. They're also claiming, however, that sensor re-calibration is required when replacing a control module, which doesn't make sense to me, and doesn't seem to be listed in the service manual, unless work is done directly on the sensors, particularly the radar units, which would require re-alignment. This supposed calibration is almost $800. The work to replace the module takes about 2-3 hrs, plus coding, so it should be under a grand if the "new" module is in fact the one that's faulty. That's now almost 50% cheaper than it was Friday; will see what tomorrow brings. Any thoughts on whether sensor re-calibration would be required? Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Interesting. Did they do further diagnostics when they came up with the new module? I agree that calibration doesn't make sense unless they're referring to the adapting procedure? I don't know if there's any addition calbration on these. If you end confirming you can re-code the module, it might be worth getting VCDS and trying to install a used module.

This stuff is frustrating, I wish I had some answers for you. 1k isn't terrible if they're confident thats it but it still stings...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No further testing. Just said that they initially gave me the wrong part number. I haven’t been able to confirm yet whether modules can be reassigned. My mechanic says no, and when one tries, there’s an error that pops up which cannot be cleared. In any event, that shop won’t install customer-supplied parts so I’d have to do it myself or try to find another shop I trust that will, which may be difficult. I don’t have a service manual, so DIY would require considerable digging. Much appreciate the feedback, even if no answers ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are the VCDS faults:

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist (J446) Labels:| 7P6-919-475.clb
Part No SW: 7P6 919 475 D HW: 7N0 919 475
Component: PARKHILFE 8K H06 0030
Revision: -------- Serial number: 28291506500159
Coding: 510D04
Shop #: WSC 31414 790 00001
ASAM Dataset: EV_VW526ParkiAssis2 001013
ROD: EV_VW526ParkiAssis2.rod
VCID: 44877CF6CFD63F6FC3-8011

2 Faults Found:
1079828 - Supply Voltage for Parking Aid Sensor(s)
B107A 14 [009] - Open or Short to Ground
Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00000001
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 182
Mileage: 110033 km
Date: 2019.12.06
Time: 14:19:35

1079830 - Supply Voltage for Parking Aid Sensor(s)
B107A 16 [008] - Voltage Too Low
Intermittent - Confirmed - Tested Since Memory Clear
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 3
Reset counter: 221
Time: 15:09:51

Address 13: Auto Dist. Reg (J428) Labels:| 4H0-907-561.clb
Part No SW: 7P6 907 561 C HW: 7P6 907 561
Component: ACC3 H21 0400
Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 3701010101
ASAM Dataset: EV_AdaptCruisContrVW526 002012
ROD: EV_AdaptCruisContrVW526_002.rod
VCID: 3C770416B72647AFBB-8069

2 Faults Found:
144896 - Function Restriction due to Faults in Other Modules
U1113 00 [009] - -
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Freeze Frame:
Fault Priority: 6
Time: 14:19:37

Control Module temperature: 27 °C
Voltage terminal 15: 14.029 V
Velocity_vehicle_reference: -0.01 m/s
Longitudinal_acceleration_vehicle_reference: 0.00 m/s²

83456 - Function Restriction due to Implausible Message(s)
U1112 00 [008] - -
[New feature! Extended UDS fault detail is only supported by current gen. interfaces]
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 55
Reset counter: 220
Mileage: 110142 km
Date: 2019.12.07
Time: 08:19:17

Control Module temperature: 21 °C
Voltage terminal 15: 14.484 V

Address 8B: Adaptive Cruise 2 (J428) Labels:| 4H0-907-561.clb
Part No SW: 7P6 907 541 C HW: 7P6 907 541
Component: ACC3 H21 0400
Serial number: 00000000000000
Coding: 3701010101
ASAM Dataset: EV_AdaptCruisContr2VW526 002011
ROD: EV_AdaptCruisContr2VW526_002.rod
VCID: 3A7B020EBD12799FA9-806F

2 Faults Found:
144896 - Function Restriction due to Faults in Other Modules
U1113 00 [009] - -
Freeze Frame:
Time: 14:19:37

Control Module temperature: 27 °C
Voltage terminal 15: 14.057 V

83456 - Function Restriction due to Implausible Message(s)
U1112 00 [008] - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Frequency: 59
Reset counter: 220
Mileage: 110142 km
Date: 2019.12.07
Time: 08:19:17

Control Module temperature: 20 °C
Voltage terminal 15: 14.514 V
Velocity_vehicle_reference: -0.00 m/s