Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2015 TDI is on year 3. I finally got around to flushing the brake fluid from all four calipers. I got lucky in that all 4 of the wheel spokes had given me a clear shot to all the bleeders.

Thankfully VW has hinged the access to the Master Cylinder. One still needs a funnel to get the fluid into the M/C as there is a metal panel above the M/C but I have lots of funnels so it was not a big deal.

I put my plastic tubing over the end of the bleeder with a loose overhand knot in it with the other end into the drilled-cap of an empty windshield washer container, the 11mm open end wrench to loosen the bleeder and I step on the brake pedal to get the fluid moving out of the caliper/lines, keep adding fluid to the M/C to make sure it does not go dry, and repeat on the other 3 wheels.

Now we're good for another 3 years.

·
Registered
746 Posts
QUESTION: Did you need to have the key turned to the accessory position? Or did you bleed/pump the brakes without the system on?

I ask because I haven't bled the brakes myself yet, but plan to next month.

My previous Toyota 4Runner required that my key position was in accessory to do the rear brakes, or the rear system caliper wouldn't pressurize!! The fronts were done without the key needed. It was odd.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The truck was off. The brakes bled/fluid moved by just simply stepping on the brake pedal, but I did make sure not to take the pedal to the floor, just 1/2 or 3/4 of the way as more than enough fluid moves with that much pedal movement and the loose overhand knot in the tubing ensures that the fluid does not return back into the caliper.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck was off. The brakes bled/fluid moved by just simply stepping on the brake pedal, but I did make sure not to take the pedal to the floor, just 1/2 or 3/4 of the way as more than enough fluid moves with that much pedal movement and the loose overhand knot in the tubing ensures that the fluid does not return back into the caliper.
Front bleed screws, for some reason, are 8mm. Rear bleed screws are 11mm.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I need to do this as I am getting close to 80k, I assume you need VagCom to cycle the ABS system? I will probably use my pressurized bleeder - a locally purchased (like Prestone) DOT4 OK?

·
Premium Member
1,469 Posts
I need to do this as I am getting close to 80k, I assume you need VagCom to cycle the ABS system? I will probably use my pressurized bleeder - a locally purchased (like Prestone) DOT4 OK?
Yes, at least you used to be able to use vagcom to cycle it.

I haven't done this with the T3 yet, but the T1 it worked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts