Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm getting a strange loss of power when downshifting manually. It happens about 40% of the time.

When i drop a gear it engages, but then there is nothing from the throttle for a good few seconds. It's completely unresponsive.

In full auto (S or D) it's perfect. Gear changes are quick.

I've tried switching off the ESP but it makes no difference. It also seems to be worse with the paddles than the stick.

is it a torque converter characteristic?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
reset the gearbox and try again

·
Registered
692 Posts
are you taking the foot off the throttle when shifting and then reapplying it or holding it flat out and shifting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
are you taking the foot off the throttle when shifting and then reapplying it
Yes. Mostly.

It's a good question and something i've been closely monitoring.

Mostly i downshift when coming out/going into a corner, so usually after or during braking. Seems to be less of an issue if i'm accelerating straight. It still happens, but less so.

In full auto it goes up and down the cogs without problem, regardless of whether i've been braking or not.

I've tried turning of ESP and it seemed to make a difference at first, but not now.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
So let's get this straight . . . so to speak!

You are approaching a corner and tap the box down a couple or three gears to set the old tool up for it on the racing line, then you plant your foot on the loud pedal and nothing happens so presumably you are now barrelling into the corner with no drive?

Is there any change in the revs on the counter upwards as there should be if you have selected a lower gear or are they static, or are they dying back towards tickover?

Then the the drive engages in the gear you manually selected [?], the revs rise [?] and off up the road you go?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So let's get this straight . . . so to speak!

You are approaching a corner and tap the box down a couple or three gears to set the old tool up for it on the racing line, then you plant your foot on the loud pedal and nothing happens so presumably you are now barrelling into the corner with no drive?
Exactly right

Is there any change in the revs on the counter upwards as there should be if you have selected a lower gear or are they static, or are they dying back towards tickover?
The revs initially jump up as the lower gear is engaged, but as power is non existent for a few seconds they quickly drop - as it would if you took your foot off the gas.

Then the the drive engages in the gear you manually selected [?], the revs rise [?] and off up the road you go?
Usually like a bat out of hell!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Ooo-er, Missus, that does not sound right at all! Off to the dealer I think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts