Club Touareg Forum banner
81 - 100 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My new 2015 build Malaysia Spec arrives "Brand New" to me in Singapore on Friday and I am concerned about the firmware and future updates - would be awesome to have Google Maps and Apple CarPlay through he RNS 850 - need to look into some more forums to understand the art of the possible.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The new Audi Q7 2017 uses google maps. it also supports apple carplay. On the Audi website you can watch a video with the functions.
I did a test drive on the new Q7 before buying my Treg due to price. That google maps functionality is pretty damn awesome! You can even see the goole map in the dashboard screen in between the gauges. With all of that being said. Paying another $15k+ to get into that car over the Treg was not something that worked for my wallet. :wink2:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have installed it on my Touareg 2011.
Installation is quite tricky especially if you are, like me, without a SIM adapter.

If you are interested use google and remeber that our RNS850 is 99% identical to the Audi MMI3G system...

Reactions: PRGVR6

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have installed it on my Touareg 2011.
Installation is quite tricky especially if you are, like me, without a SIM adapter.

If you are interested use google and remeber that our RNS850 is 99% identical to the Audi MMI3G system...
What version have you installed? Where did you get the FW,SW for the RNS850 and are you able to use Google maps now?

·
Registered
176 Posts
What version have you installed? Where did you get the FW,SW for the RNS850 and are you able to use Google maps now?
I have installed the FW Version K0821 linked from congo and Audi Map 6.22.4 adapted for the RNS850 system.
By the way, congo, nice to see you also here.

Google maps still not working but there is a "good guy" :wink2: that is working on it.

Remeber that the FW and the Map are for Europe CAR configuration.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

After installing the K0821 does maps will have to be reloaded after the update? If so where can I get the AU MAPS?
And since I've got the Australian model will this update will work just fine on my unit?

Could you guys help with installation process or it's just simple?
@congo - yes my RNS850 has SIM slot.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies.

After installing the K0821 does maps will have to be reloaded after the update? If so where can I get the AU MAPS?
And since I've got the Australian model will this update will work just fine on my unit?

Could you guys help with installation process or it's just simple?
@congo - yes my RNS850 has SIM slot.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-AL10 using Tapatalk

If you are AU, K0821 cannot be installed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think you need a RNS-850 main unit with a SIM slot for connecting with 3G and get internet access.

Touareg in US has not this slot so far. I do not know the if the 2015 model will have it.
Okay, I've been reading over a French audi forum that has been able to get this done. While I understand why they are doing it the way they are doing it, because the Audi MMI3G has the SIM slot in the dash, I believe you can swap out the glove box unit on the Touareg with a model that takes a SIM card. Wouldn't this preclude the issue of having to set up a router and tether it to a phone?

Maybe I'm missing something. Seems like if you can swap out the glove box units, it should be a firmware/coding issue. I've also seen a few sites (Australian, I believe) that sell whole RNS850 units with Google Maps enabled. This means that someone has figured it out.

I also know that much of the research is being done in Europe, so NA Touaregs may have a different issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay, I've been reading over a French audi forum that has been able to get this done. While I understand why they are doing it the way they are doing it, because the Audi MMI3G has the SIM slot in the dash, I believe you can swap out the glove box unit on the Touareg with a model that takes a SIM card. Wouldn't this preclude the issue of having to set up a router and tether it to a phone?

Maybe I'm missing something. Seems like if you can swap out the glove box units, it should be a firmware/coding issue. I've also seen a few sites (Australian, I believe) that sell whole RNS850 units with Google Maps enabled. This means that someone has figured it out.

I also know that much of the research is being done in Europe, so NA Touaregs may have a different issue.
If we enable hotspot our phones, wouldn't the RNS850 able to connect to the phone using wi-fi ? So does it necessarily need the SIM slot ?

TIY

·
Registered
77 Posts
NOPE. Try and see.
It seems RNS has a firewall that does not allow this to happen ...
I have attached a PDF document which is from Defcon. There is a screen which states "And yes.. The car can do wifi, so let’s pre-configure some SSID"

So there is hope. The file is attached. Any gurus familiar with the following :

ANALYSING THE FIRMWARE
• Firmware seems to be a mix of EFS & IFS filesystem
• We used the tool dumpefs to dump the filesystem
dumpefs
• We had to create a small Python tool to recreate a filesystem using dumpefs output
• had to deflate some files
deflate
• … and Dumpifs (but we had to edit the headers of the files so that dumpifs could extract
the files)
dumpifs
• RNS850 is based on QNX !
• Elf header show a SuperH architecture

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
All the documents you have linked are well known ...
You do not need VCDS for this; you just need to activate run specific scripts.

So for the moment believe me if I tell you the following:

FOR Systems without SIM
Follow the AUDI MMI3G+ tutorial on this discussion:
[Tuto] Online Services (Audi Connect, Google Earth & Trafic Online) en WIFI - MMI 2G - 3G - 3G Plus / GPS advanced - Forums Audi-Passion - 4Legend.com
But for RNS 850 the above is not sufficent and you will remain with Google Earth option graied and not selectable.
No public solution is available yet.

FOR Systems with SIM
The tutorial is quite the same as above (except the part of the router of course).
The Fairmode shall not be uninstalled.
It remains the point that with Google Earth option remains graied and not selectable (as above).

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you are AU, K0821 cannot be installed.
After a long research i have found a link with a HN+_EU_VW_K0821 and i risked the update on my Australian unit.
I have finally updated my unit to HN+_EU_VW_K0821 with no problems beside GEMMI have failed during installation (possible broken files?) after update was done old maps working fine and now I've got GE in the Maps selected and greyed out while Online POI are working fine out of box without any modifications.
Would anyone be able to share the SW for HN+_EU_VW_K0821 and i can try to reinstall GEMMI and see if that can fix my problem?

Please see photos at bellow link;
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tyz7cqp7q5ffbg3/AADQjwX_I6ldu1f4wQxMkEbaa?dl=0

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have installed only the script GE_ENABLE on my RNS850 with simcard from miazza posts and now I have working GE, POI online and street view.

81 - 100 of 474 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.