Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hello,
I found the following thread in the German Touareg forum

WLAN Modul im RNS 850
Did use Google translate on it. It talks off activating the WLAN thru green menu.

It also talks about an update in the Russian Touareg site about a new firmware for RNS 850 called "RNS850 p6077" .

I googled that and there is a link for the firmware in the Russian site below :
Êàðòû 8R0060884BK 6.17.3 (2014) íà RNS850 - Ôîðóì Touareg Club

After this firmware update the following shows up under Settings / Bluetooth & WiFi)

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Some more info. Here is the tear up of the RNS-850 unit. According to the write up

One interesting note is that although the unit features a Marvell WLAN IC, officially RNS 850 does not support WiFi functions.
The Marvell 88W8688 actually supports WLAN AND Bluetooth 3.0 but there is a CSR Bluecore6 IC that appears to be the one that handles the function
So looks like if the WLAN is enabled we could connect the unit to cellphone to insure internet connectivity for Google Map features

Here is the link to the RN-850 tear up.

http://electronics360.globalspec.com/article/2256/volkswagen-7p6-035-670-3g-mmi-unit-by-harman-becker-teardown

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well the US versions do not have a slot for 3G card else need to enable the WLAN to connect the 850 to the internet to get live traffic / other updates from Google.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The RNS 850 has WLAN chip built in, which apparently can be enabled from the green menu, you should be able to connect it your cellphone with hot spot mode enabled. This should suffice for live traffic and any other updates.

With WLAN enabled on RNS 850 you could connect to home network in the garage to pull in any massive updates needed for Google functionality.

Not sure if the 2015 Touareg RNS 850 has a different hardware setup !

It is going to be a wait and see.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We have all for remote activation Google+Traffic, but we haven't USA license for Online Traffic and American FW with Google feature so haven't still tested it.
Do you know when you plan on having it tested out ?

What do you mean my USA license for Online Traffic. Here in the US traffic information is currently provided by XM satellite radio.

Please post any questions so that some us might be able to provide information to speedup the process for US.

There are lots of forum users in the US who will be very interested in it. :twisted:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Okay, I've been reading over a French audi forum that has been able to get this done. While I understand why they are doing it the way they are doing it, because the Audi MMI3G has the SIM slot in the dash, I believe you can swap out the glove box unit on the Touareg with a model that takes a SIM card. Wouldn't this preclude the issue of having to set up a router and tether it to a phone?

Maybe I'm missing something. Seems like if you can swap out the glove box units, it should be a firmware/coding issue. I've also seen a few sites (Australian, I believe) that sell whole RNS850 units with Google Maps enabled. This means that someone has figured it out.

I also know that much of the research is being done in Europe, so NA Touaregs may have a different issue.
If we enable hotspot our phones, wouldn't the RNS850 able to connect to the phone using wi-fi ? So does it necessarily need the SIM slot ?

TIY

·
Registered
77 Posts
NOPE. Try and see.
It seems RNS has a firewall that does not allow this to happen ...
I have attached a PDF document which is from Defcon. There is a screen which states "And yes.. The car can do wifi, so let’s pre-configure some SSID"

So there is hope. The file is attached. Any gurus familiar with the following :

ANALYSING THE FIRMWARE
• Firmware seems to be a mix of EFS & IFS filesystem
• We used the tool dumpefs to dump the filesystem
dumpefs
• We had to create a small Python tool to recreate a filesystem using dumpefs output
• had to deflate some files
deflate
• … and Dumpifs (but we had to edit the headers of the files so that dumpifs could extract
the files)
dumpifs
• RNS850 is based on QNX !
• Elf header show a SuperH architecture

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts