Club Touareg Forum banner
121 - 135 of 135 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Well it's winter once again in NE Sask and has me thinking of the aux heater retrofit. Was able to find a heater in Sweden, and waiting to see if they will ship it to Canada. I am also in the process of rectifying a coolant leak which I have narrowed down to the EGR cooler. Does anyone know if removing the EGR cooler will prohibit the installation of the aux heater?

· Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·

· Registered
13 Posts
I’d like to know the same. I was under the impression it could heat the engine coolant circuit as well. I was going to pull the trigger and just order a whole new Kufatec system, but now I don’t know. Seems pointless to spend the money and time to get the aux heater set up if it doesn’t actually function as a block heater. I can achieve a heated cabin by leaving a $25 heater in my car when it’s -30 out instead of spending thousands on a glorified cabin heater.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
The heater will heat the engine once the heater core is up to temp. It also functions to heat up the engine more quickly when running. This is key for me as you can literally watch the engine temperature gauge drop while idling in -25°C or colder before I installed the parking heater. Now it is up to operating temperature minutes after starting the engine, and stays there.

All that being said, I know exactly what you're asking and I too would like to know if it is possible to switch from cabin heating to engine heating. Most generic installs of these devices do only that - heat the engine coolant. I would prefer this mode when it is extremely cold out - like -30°C or colder. Right now, operating the heater to warm up the cabin does nothing to ensure I can even start the engine. The heater saps the battery down and then I don't have enough crank left after a few glow cycles. When it's above -25, all is well. Warm cabin, engine starts and warms up in minutes. I had to jump start once this week when it was -36°C and the heater had run for 20 minutes. Interior was warm, but couldn't start.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

· Registered
284 Posts
Manual says you need a drive 2x as long as you pre-heat it for, so if you preheat it for 30m and don't have the engine running for an hour afterward you'll be in a losing battle and quickly end up with a flat battery using the parking heater..

I wired up a temp compensating onboard charger in the rain tray and have been plugging it in.. keeps the battery strong in cold temps, alleviates most of the heater load from the battery, and ensures it's always full even if I preheat it a bit here and there away from my driveway.. Its nice to leave the heater running when you dip into the store in the middle of a storm.

My engine starts fine w/out preheating it, and it heats up really fast once moving.. it takes a long time too fully heat up the block w/the webasto alone but once the engine is going its no time at all. I can drive to a restaurant a couple blocks away with zero preheating in single digits and it'll hit operating temp as I'm waiting on em to bring my food out.. most of the time I'm idling and I never got over 35mph and it'll be approaching operating temp in ~6mins or so, with full emissions delete.. pretty damn good IMO.

· Registered
1,060 Posts
I also have an on-board battery charger/maintainer that I plug in when it's really cold over night. It keeps the battery charged up and "warm".

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

· Registered
455 Posts
First, thanks a lot OP for the writeup. Very well detailed.

I am still lurking this thread; trying to wrap my head if I want/need this or not. Part of me appreciate the feature A LOT, part of me trying to keep things as simple as possible. The cold cabin isn’t much of a problem, but I find the engine pretty slow to warm up with the EGR delete.

· Registered
2015 TDI Exec R-Line
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I love getting into my Touareg when it’s -5 out, and the interior is warm and the windows are clear. The heater also helps engine warm up considerably too. If you change coding in vcds, it will heat up both the engine and the interior. Obviously, it will have to run for a longer time. Fuel consumption is around 0.6L/hour at full fire.

· Registered
3 Posts
@chewblekka
great post !
Inspired me to shell out around a 1000 in total. lol .... but have never been more excited for winter
I made the same mistake as you and bought the unit for the 4 zone climat touareg. You mentioned that you needed the extra coolant pipe and an extra coolant hose. I have purchased both from eACCA . is it only 1 of each or do i need 2 of each. ... do i need anything else other than what is in your parts list mentionned on the first page. ? I also bought the obd coder from kufatec but am hesitant now as this is just to code the heater to work and you mentionned the fuel line must be bled before using . did you have any trouble with the connectors in the kufatec wiring that you bought?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as im trying to get everything together before the last parts arrive.

Dylan , Montreal 2011 TDI Malone Stage 2 DPF SCR deletes

· Registered
65 Posts
Hi is someone having trouble to adding aux heater button on climate screen, i have done all the coding of engine gateway and climatronic but nothing working. I also check on 5F information that auxiliary heater installed is checked. nothing working, any idea

Thank Fred

· Registered
2015 TDI Exec
47 Posts
Hi is someone having trouble to adding aux heater button on climate screen, i have done all the coding of engine gateway and climatronic but nothing working. I also check on 5F information that auxiliary heater installed is checked. nothing working, any idea

Thank Fred
Hope you figured it out by now, but you also need to change a value in the green menu. I don't know the location by heart, but there is a page in there where you can change values to tell the RNS what equipment is installed. Even without any hardware installed, I can make soft buttons for various optional equipment that I don't have appear, but they are grayed out since the controller isn't available.

121 - 135 of 135 Posts