Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'd like to raise the BS flag on this one..... please provide some evidence of these returns and "lifetime" parts for the rest of us. There's no way an outfit would stay in business if they would do this sort of thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to raise the BS flag on this one..... please provide some evidence of these returns and "lifetime" parts for the rest of us. There's no way an outfit would stay in business if they would do this sort of thing.
Just go to their website and see for yourself. I've been using FCP for years on my 2007 Volvo V70R wagon, back before they started offering the lifetime warranty. They've grown exponentially over the years, so it's clearly working for them. Like I wrote, my guess is only a small percentage of people use the warranty, so they're likely not losing money. And I'll note, I do not work for, nor am I in any way associated with them. Just a regular customer happy with their service and pricing.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes, FCPEuro is the best. Excellent prices, fast delivery, lifetime warranty. I do use them for several vehicles.

I do hope JMG Treg is joking about returning oil filters. It is that sort of abuse which brings an end to great programs like the one offered by FCPEuro.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just was quoted 85 bucks for 3 wiper blades for 014 Touareg. Has anyone gotten aftermarket blades they recommend ?
ROCKAUTO.COM currently shows TRICO 2412B {#60024SP} Exact Fit - Factory Replacement; O. E. Beam Front, [Wholesaler Closeout - Private Label Pkg. - 30 Day Warranty] for just $1.83 each. Can't go wrong. Get em while they last.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, FCPEuro is the best. Excellent prices, fast delivery, lifetime warranty. I do use them for several vehicles.

I do hope JMG Treg is joking about returning oil filters. It is that sort of abuse which brings an end to great programs like the one offered by FCPEuro.
FCP makes a point of how ALL products they sell can be returned for the lifetime warranty, including fluids and filters. I do have to buy one more oil filter from them or someone, as the new to me Touareg had a Mann filter in it and I got a Mahle from FCP In the kit. Or I can pull the filter and return it with the used oil and just not drive the truck for few days while waiting for the free replacement.

It is insane that they offer this kind of a deal. I remember when they were emailing me about what they could do to get me to buy more from them. I thought free shipping would be the best they could offer, which they do that now too, so when they launched the lifetime warranty on everything I didn’t believe it either. But I’ve used it for wipers on my Volvo, since they’re a yearly replacement and it’s an easy process with them, since they track all your orders.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just was quoted 85 bucks for 3 wiper blades for 014 Touareg. Has anyone gotten aftermarket blades they recommend ?
For the front wipers on my 2005 I get the VW rubber refills (part number 1K0 955 429 B for left hand drive, not sure what the difference is). For the rear blade I just get a refill blade of the right length from a parts store and fit that.

I can't remember the cost but much, much less than $85 and less stuff going in the landfill.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FCP makes a point of how ALL products they sell can be returned for the lifetime warranty, including fluids and filters. I do have to buy one more oil filter from them or someone, as the new to me Touareg had a Mann filter in it and I got a Mahle from FCP In the kit. Or I can pull the filter and return it with the used oil and just not drive the truck for few days while waiting for the free replacement.

It is insane that they offer this kind of a deal. I remember when they were emailing me about what they could do to get me to buy more from them. I thought free shipping would be the best they could offer, which they do that now too, so when they launched the lifetime warranty on everything I didn’t believe it either. But I’ve used it for wipers on my Volvo, since they’re a yearly replacement and it’s an easy process with them, since they track all your orders.
So I'm guessing you'll buy your next car from them too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok here's what I've been doing for years on my Touareg and old Cayenne.
Buy some long rubber wiper refills off ebay. I normally by "truck" length 26" from memory, and you need the "thin" type.
They don't cost more than $5 for a pair. It's such a waste to throw the old assemblies out as they are perfectly serviceable for the life of the vehicle it's just the rubber blade that wears out.
Now;
1) Carefully pry off the plastic clip/cover at one end of the blade. It can be quite tricky to get off and you will need to use a fair bit of force but once you've done it you'll understand how it works.
2) Look for a small metal "claw" in the metal backing and lift it up. If you can't see the "claw" then you've got the wrong end, so replace the clip and try the other end. Mark the correct end for next time.
3) The claw holds the rubber blade in place, so now you can just slide the old rubber out. It can be a very tight fit so be patient.
4) Measure and cut the new rubber blade (I normally make it a little longer as they tend to shrink a bit with time).
5) Slide the new rubber back into the metal backing and bend the retaining claw back down.
6) Replace the plastic end clip and repeat on the other wiper
7) Buy yourself a box of beer or nice bottle of wine with the money you've saved!
Cheers

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Ok here's what I've been doing for years on my Touareg and old Cayenne.
Buy some long rubber wiper refills off ebay. I normally by "truck" length 26" from memory, and you need the "thin" type.
They don't cost more than $5 for a pair. It's such a waste to throw the old assemblies out as they are perfectly serviceable for the life of the vehicle it's just the rubber blade that wears out.
Now;
1) Carefully pry off the plastic clip/cover at one end of the blade. It can be quite tricky to get off and you will need to use a fair bit of force but once you've done it you'll understand how it works.
2) Look for a small metal "claw" in the metal backing and lift it up. If you can't see the "claw" then you've got the wrong end, so replace the clip and try the other end. Mark the correct end for next time.
3) The claw holds the rubber blade in place, so now you can just slide the old rubber out. It can be a very tight fit so be patient.
4) Measure and cut the new rubber blade (I normally make it a little longer as they tend to shrink a bit with time).
5) Slide the new rubber back into the metal backing and bend the retaining claw back down.
6) Replace the plastic end clip and repeat on the other wiper
7) Buy yourself a box of beer or nice bottle of wine with the money you've saved!
Cheers
Have been using 1K0 955 429 B refills too. However, the frames tend to deform after a while, so one has to replace full assemblies from time to time.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
I bought PIAA blades and took them apart, and used only the rubber blade itself from PIAA. I don't like how the aftermarket blade mfg'ers, with their aftermarket 'fit kit', goes on the OEM arms. The plastic connection point looks weak. It's a bit of work to 'thread' the PIAA rubber blade into the stock metal assembly. I only did this for the front, I just used VeeDub OEM for the back. Not a critical blade IMO.
You can also get just the inserts from PIAA.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Anyone know the where to get the rear wiper blade? The front's are easy (though a decent set is @ $20-$25 each). But I've had no luck finding rear blades.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I recently bought a few from RockAuto (NAPA branded) on closeout for about $2 each, work fine.
I've done this many times, for many vehicles..... I usually grab a bunch and like I said previously, I just toss them without a care due to the low cost.... I've given away free blades to people because I sold the vehicles and still had one or two sets in the garage that I never got to use....

·
Registered
5 Posts

Au contraire, its not a joke and they don't mind you returning used oil and filters. In fact, they relish it. This is their advertising campaigne. They want you to bragg to your friends about it and in doing so promote more sales.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
20 Participants
mycoman
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing