Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI there, I have been hankering for something interesting. I like the reliability of my current Aus 2014 7P V6 TDi 67k kms (4XMotion - centre and rear diff locks) but it is dead boring. It has depreciated down to the point that for zero or little changeover, I could get into an R50 - but with more kms on it likely. I have read lots and lots and lots on the R50 and while there are some known issues I am still keen to make the swap. I am aware of the DPF’s needing replacement/delete at around 120k kms and the centre bearing support for the tailshaft is a poor design and a relatively easy DIY fix. The DPF’s would need a workshop to deal and delete is the preferred and also EGR delete. Maybe intake system needs removal for degunk as well. Any wisdom from those on here about this proposal? Other than these items noted are there any other ‘watch out for’ things to be aware of?

I do a little off-roading on beach sand so the absence of rear diff lock is a slight retro step but I would tolerate that.

There is nothing wrong with the 2014 other than it does everything (towing my 2.7T caravan) without an issue but it’s not something one looks back to when walking away from parking it.

Regards

Pete

·
Registered
8 Posts
HI Pete
Go for the R50 mate!!! it more than you expect, but like you say they have a few known problems so it sounds like you are going into it with your eyes wide open.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ted, thanks for the push along there. I am still inclined in this R50 direction. I see from your thumbnail you have an R50 in the garage there and I presume from your suggestion to go for it, your experience with the R50 has been a good one. How many kms has it done and how many in your ownership (if not one owner). Any engine out operations?

Kind Regards

Pete.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Pete
I have two R50's one in Basalt Blue 209,000 Kms and a Black model 115,000 Kms, I haven't had any big issues just the known usual defects, tandem pump, batteries, when the DPF's give trouble I'll remove them and the EGR. Regards Ted

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Righto, thanks Ted, thanks for that informed advice. You clearly do treasure the R50’s to keep two of them. I’ll look up the tandem pump issue to see what it is all about, the other items I have read as recurring items amongst R50 owners. Regards Pete.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
Crispy3
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing