Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

So my 2014 v6 with 14k has been overheating. The first time, I was highway driving and didn't see the temp climb until the alarm went off. Pulled over as soon as possible. Let the engine cool for a few and limped another mile to a shopping center.

Came back to the car and drove 15 mile home with no issue. This was a Sunday so I got a service appt the following wed. Drove a few times only a few miles. Overheated once again after only 2 miles of driving.

Dealer replaced Water Pump on Wed per VW's instructions. They said they road tested and I got it back later that day. The car overheated again on the way home from the dealer. They drove a rental car to me and took my Touareg back again.

After waiting for a part, they replaced the thermostat on Friday. Again after consulting with VW engineers. I picked it up around noon and drove it about 12 miles... no issues. Fixed, I thought.

At 5 PM we were packed ready to go camping. One mile from home, the temp spikes again. We pull over and let it cool down. Manage to limp it back to the dealer.

Today is Wed. I haven't heard back from VW yet. I'm not enjoying my Tiguan loaner and worried about my Treg. The dealer seems stumped. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Coolant temp sensor failure can cause similar issues. It is strange that the dealer didn't check CTS first since failure is common. But perhaps they did and ruled it out.

My 04 v8 has two CT sensors at rear of block and I replaced them myself to solve erratic temp swings and overheating. I can't remember if the it's really just the CTS on the passenger side that was the culprit. Also, not sure if v6 has one or two sensors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, Coolant is bubbling out of the reservoir when the cap is loosened and fans running like crazy. I just talked to them and they are checking vacuum lines? They said they have a case with level 2 VW technical assistance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coolant temp sensor failure can cause similar issues. It is strange that the dealer didn't check CTS first since failure is common. But perhaps they did and ruled it out.

My 04 v8 has two CT sensors at rear of block and I replaced them myself to solve erratic temp swings and overheating. I can't remember if the it's really just the CTS on the passenger side that was the culprit. Also, not sure if v6 has one or two sensors.
I read about the CT sensors and like you assumed they checked this as it's the easiest solution. I'll definitely ask when they call me with an update later this afternoon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Idk. I'm kinda assuming (bad idea) that they would have ruled that out before replacing the water pump, thermostat and escalating to Level 2 VW Technical Assistance. I'll be sure to confirm with them. I'll update the thread when I hear back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update. So yes, they checked the CT sensor. Today they are replacing a solenoid at VWs instructions. The service manager didn't feel like it is going to work. They believe at this point that is a cylinder head issue and will probably need to REPLACE THE ENGINE? the car has 14k on it. I have not heard that the solenoid replacement did not work but if it doesn't, I think I need to contact an attorney.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
wctouraeg - If VW is going to replace the engine on their dime I think that is just about the best possible outcome for you - you get a new engine and the warranty which goes with it! Don't spend any clock time with a lawyer until you find out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I heard of one here in Aus where a 2014 with 5000kms I think, was overheating under load they found a crack in the cylinder block engine was replaced and all has been good since or I haven't heard any more it may be another faulty block
Colin

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
If you're getting a new engine for free, take it and it'll probably be fine. Hold the lawyer card for later if they keep guessing at random parts without fixing it.

Service people dealing with customers are trained to automatically clam up when the customer plays the lawyer card.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I got the truck back a few days ago. They replaced a solenoid which seems to have fixed the issue. No replacement engine. They are telling me that the initial problem was definitely a bad water pump and they the subsequent overheating caused the failure of the thermostat and solenoid?

I'm happy to have it back. I'm a little concerned about the fact that the car overheated 10-12 times over the week or so they were trying to fix it. Should I be concerned? Certainly other parts were not designed to withstand repeated overheating? I am considering contacting VW corporate with my concerns and seeing what they will do for me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
If it is at random (sounds like it) it could be either your thermostat sticking or auxiliary pump (AKA the Recirculation Pump V55). Failure of this pump can result in overheating (per page 60 of the attached).

I would also imagine a coolant flush done wrong might result in overheating too as it sounds possible to get an air bubble in the system.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yesterday I went out to run errands and the engine was cold. As soon as I started up the Touareg, the CHECK COOLANT alert came on. I checked the coolant level to find that it was just below the MIN line on the reservoir. I ended up putting 40 oz of water in the reservoir. The alert went off and I drove it for a couple of hours with NO further faults or pegged temp needle. I am hoping the coolant being low was all that was causing this. I still don't understand why the temp needle would peg and then fairly quickly get back to 200F when I turned off the engine. Hmmmmm. thanks for the suggestions my friend!!
KILMAL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Having a similar issue on my 2014 touareg v6. Upper radiator pipe gets warm while lower seems to not ever warm up, which I think means the thermostat is likely stuck shut and explains my overheating issues. What I can't seem to find is any information on where the thermostat is located within the engine bay and how difficult the part would be to swap on my own. Can anyone help with this? I have done extensive searching with no luck for my engine - so I apologize if I somehow missed something obvious.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.