Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my Treg to the dealer with an overheat story. Of course, what I describe to the service desk never gets through to the mechanic. My overheat was on a hill climb 3+ hours into a drive into the high sierras of CA. I requested a coolant flush with my regular service appt...they tell me that the Treg holds pressure and they test drove it and found nothing wrong. I tell the service desk, why did you test drive it? You couldn't possibly have recreated the condition on a local drive.

Over the next few weeks, I continue to slowly lose coolant and I overheat again on the 5hr+ trip into the sierras. I describe it to their desk again and meet with technician, he says "It's gonna be a tough case." I left it at that and did some good 100k maintenance of my own t-stat, water pump, belt. Problem persists, slow coolant loss.

Last weekend, I overheat a third time and prior to taking it in for a service, I deploy my new air purge tool and see that the reservoir is not holding pressure. I report this to service desk, it it written on my work order. I call to see how its' going 4 hrs into my service and tech had reported to service desk that my car is holding pressure and the service should be over soon.

Is it possible that a positive pressure test would seat the failing gasket, where a negative vacuum pressure test would fail?

I drove straight down to meet with service manager and he brings in his head mechanic. We cordially discuss my failed test and their description of a passing positive air pressure test. I show them my air purge tool and request that they flush my coolant and report on the coolant reservoir holding pressure in a vacuum. I had to describe my overheat to them again, since they had mentioned a road test and the codes being non specific, they even ask me if I really overheated, like I imagined boiling over the reservoir and spattered all that coolant around to deceive them?

The head mechanic asked if the temp gauge just went up a little or did it redline? I accused him of wanting me to torch this engine. He complained that it could be a number of things and that I might be dissatisfied with them for replacing the turbo or EGR and not fixing the problem. They know full well I have an extended warranty but they want to avoid condemning a part and being wrong about it. Why wouldn't they just want to get it right?

If it is the turbo, they should be able to isolate it and presure test it? Same with any other component like the EGR? Everyone I speak with says head gasket, like it is obvious. The dang codes should even tell them which bank is losing exhaust into my coolant since P011300 Intake air temp bank 1 sensor 1 circuit is high and P220100 NOx performance Bank1 sensor 1. I also have P023800 Tubocharger boost sensor (A) high inpiut, P010400 Mass or Volume Air Flow intermittent.

Head mechanic looks at these codes and say, your scan tool is aftermarket and these codes are non-specific. It could be anything...this is when he started saying he would be guessing if he condemned the turbo...and I would be disappointing we wasted money on it. :-({|= :chainsaw:

Anyone want to render an opinion?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Do you not have a cell phone that can take a video next time you are seeing signs of overheating?
Can you not drive your vehicle without adding coolant (you keep mentioning coolant loss) until so much of it vanishes that it throws a code or constantly overheats?
You mentioned extended warranty.... so since the dealer is the one that just serviced the cooling system, and you have documented history of reporting overheating during multiple visits, I would just drive it until it overheats constantly and then take it in.... even if it blows up, you have enough proof to get it covered under warranty.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would just drive it until it overheats constantly and then take it in.... even if it blows up, you have enough proof to get it covered under warranty.
Part of me thinks he should do just that. Beat the piss out of it until it explodes and tell them look mfers i brought it here how many times?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer called today to say I have a small leak in my radiator. I have never observed fluid on ground. How could they miss this with their multiple pressure tests? I did sustain damage a few months back to splash pan but nothing appeared to be close to radiator, I think trans oil cooler would be lowest. In any case, that Dragline armor is looking real nice to me today. https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f66/dragline-sump-plate-287629.html

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RE VIDEO: I did this 2nd time it overheated and showed them the video of my needle bouncing from 220-280 doing 55mph at 1500rmp in Mojave.

RE Taking it it overheating...they told me to do this, problem is, once it cools off, I refill and drive normally for hours after. I can't recreate this in LA basin, need a steep hill. I drive to SD 2hrs no problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Part of me thinks he should do just that. Beat the piss out of it until it explodes and tell them look mfers i brought it here how many times?
They want me to torch it...MFERS!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I was losing coolant slowly from my Q7, about a liter every few months. No drips, leaks and I, like you had the dealer do a pressure test and they found nothing, I even had them check the EGR cooler, like another user here found on their Touareg. Nadda. Now, I could smell coolant, after a long drive and knew it was doing something. I've been monitoring it for months now, and just adding as needed, hoping whatever it was A. became visible or B. killed the engine (Of which I told my service advisor I was hoping for, before it strands me on a roadtrip!) extended diesel warranty would get me a new engine.

Searching, searching and searching more I found on the Audi forum, what seemed to be a known issue of the coolant caps leaking and venting prematurely... Well lo and behold I order a new cap, and I don't smell coolant anymore and I'm sure I won't be adding fluid (its only been a week). 1J0121321B

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Searching, searching and searching more I found on the Audi forum, what seemed to be a known issue of the coolant caps leaking and venting prematurely... Well lo and behold I order a new cap, and I don't smell coolant anymore and I'm sure I won't be adding fluid (its only been a week). 1J0121321B
My reservoir cap is fine, it holds pressure through the first few turns of me letting the steam off. Didn't know it should vent kaboom

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
RE Taking it it overheating...they told me to do this, problem is, once it cools off, I refill and drive normally for hours after. I can't recreate this in LA basin, need a steep hill. I drive to SD 2hrs no problems.
I never told you to add coolant to it.....
You won't be able to get an engine replacement covered if you blow it up due to a leaky rad..... the rad is not part of the emission system.
It doesn't matter that you banged stuff up while offroading... debris can fly in through your grille and damage your rad, or if it's on the engine side, then it's most likely a result of some butcher service, etc.....

Replace your rad before you really cause yourself some massive issues.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I never told you to add coolant to it.....
You won't be able to get an engine replacement covered if you blow it up due to a leaky rad..... the rad is not part of the emission system.
It doesn't matter that you banged stuff up while offroading... debris can fly in through your grille and damage your rad, or if it's on the engine side, then it's most likely a result of some butcher service, etc.....

Replace your rad before you really cause yourself some massive issues.

Wouldnt you agree though that a pressure test would have found a failure in the rad?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Well, regardless of the testing methods used, I think that between all the diagnostic attempts made by both the enthusiast and the professionals, the issue should have been found by now..... but then again, I find my expectations are typically way higher than those generally accepted by the masses.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was having a different issue with randomly having to add coolant (in cold weather, typically after a 20 degree night). I saw the post on here about the EGR cooler doing this. I talked to a few dealers. One of them couldn't diagnose it after it just happened and told me coolant systems normal require adding antifreeze occasionally. I thought that seemed odd on a system with a sealed pressure reservoir.

I talked to a different dealer lately and the told me it seems to be happening more often with the TDIs. They told me they are finding a leak in a coolant valve (not sure exactly what part, but it sounds like an electronic controlled valve to get the car up to temp faster at initial startup).

Just throwing this into the forum either for anyone else who has coolant loss issues..... (I still haven't gotten it fixed, as I'm tired of finding VW shops that don't seem to know what they are doing or how to diagnose properly).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I talked to a different dealer lately and the told me it seems to be happening more often with the TDIs. They told me they are finding a leak in a coolant valve (not sure exactly what part, but it sounds like an electronic controlled valve to get the car up to temp faster at initial startup).
I call BS because said valve would not "leak" outside the system... it would just allow cold coolant to flow.... otherwise you'd be seeing coolant on your driveway, etc.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I call BS because said valve would not "leak" outside the system... it would just allow cold coolant to flow.... otherwise you'd be seeing coolant on your driveway, etc.
Yeah not sure. But I shouldn’t loose 1/2 quart of coolant over night. Pretty sure it’s the EGR cooler. But how to get a VW dealer to do their job....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The saga continues, its not the radiator. I have pressurized the coolant reservoir to 15psi and it holds pressure steadily for over an hour now. If I pull a vacuum it will lose pressure. If the radiator leaked, we would be seeing coolant. The dealer just quit searching since they observed the damaged plastic from the debris impact and called the first sign of fluid near the area "the leak". That fluid ran down the wheel well from the reservoir, I can follow it's trail back to the source.

It has got to be a seal that seats with pressure but does not hold vacuum...or maybe a crack in the head once it gets too hot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah not sure. But I shouldn’t loose 1/2 quart of coolant over night. Pretty sure it’s the EGR cooler. But how to get a VW dealer to do their job....
I have been losing a pint a week with about 300 miles a week on average, but when I drive 5+hrs to the high sierras from sea level to 8000ft, an overheat will consume 3/4 of a gallon of coolant. I am not losing that much out of the reservoir. It's the head and it's vaporizing and going out my tail pipe. If I were overheating and the radiator leaked, it would be steaming and spitting fluid at me. The only coolant in my engine compartment is from the reservoir that boils over.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks like you’ll need to change your screen name OP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Looks like you’ll need to change your screen name OP.
[email protected]? Hard boiled? I'm still sure its a cracked head or gasket.

I verified what the dealer saw and documented in radiator, it cannot be the source of my coolant loss. They stopped at the stains by my radiator hose that had been opened to purge air by my shop mechanic before we used the air purge tool. I cleaned up the area and will drive it more and we can go back and verify that it is still free of coolant. At which point they will continue the search (that is denying that it is their head that is under warranty)

·
Registered
744 Posts
EGR Cooler assembly. Remove the plastic engine cover, and flashlight your way to victory.

It happens in cold weather the seal lets go and coolant disappears into the exhaust. Annoying as hell when the techs DON'T want to do the job right.

Mine stopped losing coolant after the EGR Cooler assembly was replaced. But OMG, yesterday I had a Massive diesel leak. rendered the Touareg undriveable. It was flat bedded to the dealer. Today their diagnosis was a fuel return line disconnected from an injector. Obviously to me it was an error from 3 months ago during the EGR Cooler job, fuel lines had to be removed for them to do the work. BUT I was told it was because someone (they implied it was ME!?!?!) had worked on the fuel system and didn't do a good job and I would have to pay because that's not covered under warranty. UN ****ING believable. Words "bullshit" and "lawyer" were used. Can you believe they think fixing it "goodwill" and not charging me was their way of not accepting responsibility and insulting me further. Still seething here.

It SUCKS when your servicing dealership are a crew of disingenuous cheats, liars, criminal, douches.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
7 Participants
Cracked366
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing