Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, I have been increasingly bothered by the engine noise in the cabin for the last several months. Mine is a 2014 Touareg TDI. I purchased this vehicle new about one year ago. When I test drove the car before the purchase, I did not find the engine noise to be a problem at all. It could be that I have become more and more sensitive to engine noise, or maybe the engine has developed louder noise gradually over time. But recently, I kind of feel more and more frustrated by the engine noise, especially at idle. There is nothing like abnormal noise, it is just very loud. I took the car to a dealership but the technician said everything was normal. I looked up online and found this website that lists auto cabin noise levels under different speeds for different models:

Auto Decibel Database

According to the chart, Touareg TDI is pretty good controlling the cabin noise. At idle, the cabin noise level for my particular model is only 41.1dB in the chart. I used an iPhone app to measure my cabin noise at idle, and it measured up to 59~60 dB! So I am asking here to see if anyone has similar concerns or any suggestions on solving this headache problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do love my Touareg otherwise, the exterior, and interior, the way it handles, and especially the chassis.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Are there any components of the noise that are more pronounced than others? I.e. ticking or exhaust or something? Really hard to say what could be the culprit here. Have you had it serviced recently? Pop the hood yourself and take a good look around. Check the rubber isolators on the engine cover (grab it on both sides and pull straight up - there are 4 posts with isolators inside of them), I've seen these get lost and the cover knocks around a bit at one corner. Try adding some lubricity additive - if a station near you sells B20, add a gallon to your tank right before you fill up on regular B5 or less.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is normal. The combustion sounds are louder as the engine approaches peak combustion pressures (break-in). I notice it at idle, especially outside the cabin. I have 96k miles on my 2012, it is King of SUVs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your suggestion. I checked the engine as you suggested. I believe all components are good. There is nothing sounds abnormal to me, it just sounds annoyingly loud to me. I had the car serviced recently and it is making the same noise as before. My car only gets 7k miles on it. Do you think it needs lubricity additive now?

Are there any components of the noise that are more pronounced
than others? I.e. ticking or exhaust or something? Really hard to say what could be the culprit here. Have you had it serviced recently? Pop the hood yourself and take a good look around. Check the rubber isolators on the engine cover (grab it on both sides and pull straight up - there are 4 posts with isolators inside of them), I've seen these get lost and the cover knocks around a bit at one corner. Try adding some lubricity additive - if a station near you sells B20, add a gallon to your tank right before you fill up on regular B5 or less.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see. Thanks for your reply. Did you ever measure your noise level in the cabin? Wondering if I should trust the website I cited above. According to that website, the cabin noise of Touareg TDI is similar to gas vehicles.

This is normal. The combustion sounds are louder as the engine approaches peak combustion pressures (break-in). I notice it at idle, especially outside the cabin. I have 96k miles on my 2012, it is King of SUVs.

·
Registered
465 Posts
A simple thing to try, would be a fuel additive like Standyne. It is really surprising how much the noise level drops. I have been using it over the winter. Something to consider.

Reactions: johnyang

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I'd book a test drive in another T3 or T4 - if you can find one - and tell the bloody salesman to shut up if he comes with!

Try your App, see what you think.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This may echo others thoughts on lubricity and additives, but change where you buy your diesel. Diesel chatter for me is higher with some fuels than others.

I also noticed a slight reduction in engine noise after my first oil change. At 7k miles, you may not have hit that yet.

I also think it's relative to what you've driven in the past and your ear tuning to the Touareg's engine tones. Were you coming from something buttery smooth like a Lexus? A German diesel is a whole different animal and is never going to be that quiet.

All of that said, what did you use to measure the idle noise? I'd be willing to download it and measure the same (though I'd want to know exactly where you put the phone, etc.). I don't think an app would be overly accurate just because of different microphone manufacturers but it's worth a shot.

Agreed with noobytoogy on taking a test drive in another vehicle... If you want to be 100% sure, that's the only way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Whether or not you "need" a lubricity additive is a tough question; many, many threads on here devoted to it. But a good additive helps to quiet several components of normal diesel engine noise. Agree with MtnPass that Standyne lubricity additive is a good place to start - it is fairly cheap and can be found at most chain parts stores. Agree with Nooby that a test drive will help sort out if it is your motor in particular or if you're just very sensitive to diesel engine noise in general.

Another thing I thought of - ambient temperature. Many of the noises associated with a diesel engine are louder when it is cold - plus cold metal transmits sound a bit better, so you will hear more of it in the cabin. Do you notice a difference when it is colder?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This may echo others thoughts on lubricity and additives, but change where you buy your diesel. Diesel chatter for me is higher with some fuels than others.
+1!
I've observed engine noise levels changing with a change of fuel station too. I'd guess this might be related to fuel quality or fuel age. Easy thing to verify - find fuel station selling high volumes of diesel (such as those along major HWYs with trucker's rest/food areas), ideally having Premium grade diesel for sale, and see for yourself if it brings any difference.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I think they get noisier as they break in. Mine did. When new it was hard to tell it was a diesel,not now,but on the highway it is quiet as a mouse going 75mph. I like the diesel engine sound ,lots of mechanical noise going on.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Around here (Connecticut) I have never seen "premium diesel". Every diesel pump is labeled the same "40 Cetane Minimum Rating"..... Where I usually buy it at a CITGO station, it also says "NO BRAND", LOL .... It works.

I know that cold weather makes the engine much noisier than warm weather, and it stays clattery a bit until fully warmed up. After warm up, and also in the warmer months the engine is much quieter.

I use Power Service Diesel Kleen White in the colder months, and it does not make a difference in engine noise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I tried once the Power Service gray. After adding the additive, I did not notice noise reduction, but began to notice some very subtle metal rattling or whistle sound (could be from the turbo). Whenever I accelerate, I hear that sound when RPM in the range of 1.5k to 2k. It is very subtle, but I can hear it. So, I stopped using the additive afterwards.

A simple thing to try, would be a fuel additive like Standyne. It is really surprising how much the noise level drops. I have been using it over the winter. Something to consider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's a good point. But it is hard to find a similar vehicle for test drive since the cheating scandal.

I'd book a test drive in another T3 or T4 - if you can find one - and tell the bloody salesman to shut up if he comes with!

Try your App, see what you think.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I used to drive gas vehicles. This is my first experience with diesel. I also test drove the gas Touareg, and it is significantly quieter! Having trouble finding a Touareg TDI for test drive since the cheating scandal.

I used a iPhone app called "Decibel 10th" to measure the cabin noise level. I just held the phone sitting on the driver seat. It measured up to 60dB. I know it is not going to be accurate, but it should work for relative comparisons.

I also noticed a slight reduction in engine noise after my first oil change. At 7k miles, you may not have hit that yet.

I also think it's relative to what you've driven in the past and your ear tuning to the Touareg's engine tones. Were you coming from something buttery smooth like a Lexus? A German diesel is a whole different animal and is never going to be that quiet.

All of that said, what did you use to measure the idle noise? I'd be willing to download it and measure the same (though I'd want to know exactly where you put the phone, etc.). I don't think an app would be overly accurate just because of different microphone manufacturers but it's worth a shot.

Agreed with noobytoogy on taking a test drive in another vehicle... If you want to be 100% sure, that's the only way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I live in CA, so temperature has never been a problem really. On the contrary, every time after a long drive on high way, I stop at a local traffic light and I am feeling the cabin engine noise is like killing me. Maybe that's because I am tired and become more sensitive to noise.

Whether or not you "need" a lubricity additive is a tough question; many, many threads on here devoted to it. But a good additive helps to quiet several components of normal diesel engine noise. Agree with MtnPass that Standyne lubricity additive is a good place to start - it is fairly cheap and can be found at most chain parts stores. Agree with Nooby that a test drive will help sort out if it is your motor in particular or if you're just very sensitive to diesel engine noise in general.

Another thing I thought of - ambient temperature. Many of the noises associated with a diesel engine are louder when it is cold - plus cold metal transmits sound a bit better, so you will hear more of it in the cabin. Do you notice a difference when it is colder?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! I used to go to local Chevron or Shell. Will try others.

+1!
I've observed engine noise levels changing with a change of fuel station too. I'd guess this might be related to fuel quality or fuel age. Easy thing to verify - find fuel station selling high volumes of diesel (such as those along major HWYs with trucker's rest/food areas), ideally having Premium grade diesel for sale, and see for yourself if it brings any difference.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used to drive gas vehicles. This is my first experience with diesel. I also test drove the gas Touareg, and it is significantly quieter! Having trouble finding a Touareg TDI for test drive since the cheating scandal.

I used a iPhone app called "Decibel 10th" to measure the cabin noise level. I just held the phone sitting on the driver seat. It measured up to 60dB. I know it is not going to be accurate, but it should work for relative comparisons.
I'll check for you later and let you know. Was your engine cold or had you been driving? A/C on? Radio I assume was off.

It's a bit below freezing where I am right now so I'll probably check both. I don't really care the result but I think it'll be interesting regardless.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts