Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. Can someone please direct me to where I can find the real world mpg for the standard Touareg model? It's advertised at 17-23, with the combined at 20 which is doable. Anyone can guide me on real world mpgs? Thanks everyone and have a great Thanksgiving week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for your help. Appreciate it. I wish it got better mpg ..... but it is a solid, safe and an awesome driving machine. Just need to make sure I can afford the car payments and somewhat large gas bill at this mpg rate. We have two young ones so economically it's a bit tight.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
This isn't what you want to hear but no one on line can tell YOU what YOU will get as an average fuel consumption on YOUR car.

No one knows how you drive, where you drive or the kind of journeys you make - short or long - all of which will have a bearing on fuel consumption.

If you get 17 mpg over 15,000 miles per annum, you will have to buy 880 gallons of fuel

If you get 23 mpg over those same 15,000 miles, you'll buy only 650 gallons.

If the cost of buying, in the worst case, those extra 230 gallons each year, is really important in your family budgeting, then to be very blunt, you should not be buying a Touareg.

These cars are not cheap to run and not cheap to maintain.

And given what you have already said, you also need to factor in the cost of a very good warranty so you don't get unexpected and expensive repair bills.

·
Registered
78 Posts
16 with sprint booster.. half highway half city...
I'm averaging a solid 23/24 highway only and 20 for mixed.

What seems to really hurt are the short stop and go trips down the street...takes some fuel to get these things moving...but once they are rolling, they're surprisingly efficient IMO.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm averaging a solid 23/24 highway only and 20 for mixed.

What seems to really hurt are the short stop and go trips down the street...takes some fuel to get these things moving...but once they are rolling, they're surprisingly efficient IMO.
Pittsburgh to Columbus...reported 25.2 mpg once I arrived. Actual ended up being 24.7mpg after refuel and manual calculation.

Computer appears to be .5mpg optimistic.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Speedometer Auto part

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
330 Posts
My long term mixed is just over 20 after 20k miles.

Highway I usually get 20/21 but living in MA I don't exactly drive the speed limit and that's also usually 3 adults and two dogs :-D

Around town, which isn't exactly stop and start around here, I vary between 22 and 25 MPG

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have 6000km on my new MY16 150tdi.
The long time combined fuel usage is 7.8l/100km (30 USG)
2/3 of that is on hwys at 110km/h.
Still not on first name basis with my fuel supplier %^)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have 6000km on my new MY16 150tdi.
The long time combined fuel usage is 7.8l/100km (30 USG)
2/3 of that is on hwys at 110km/h.
Still not on first name basis with my fuel supplier %^)
... except you drive a diesel and the OP drives a gasser; on long trips my '13 VR6 gets between 24 and 26 MPG (and this is on some interstates where the average traffic speed is between 70 & 75 MPH but flat roads) but around town (even less during really cold months) on suburban roads its more like 18 or 19; I try to anticipate stops, etc. but lots of stop & go will kill the mileage. I do love the fact of how big the gas tank is on our T-Reg's and have experimented a bit with blending regular/mid-grade/premium when I see an 80 cent/gal or more difference so that can actually save some fuel cost as well. Although it won't help on your '14; the 'need' for premium is being downplayed by VW on their latest '16 gas models (no drop in performance or MPG but less cost for fuel). With gas of late being under $2/gal for regular not so much of a factor now but could be once it eventually gets back up to $4 or more (with premium fetching close to $5). It's hard to believe but those days weren't so long ago and of course our overseas T-Reg driver's always seem to pay a LOT more due to gas taxes, etc.

·
Registered
737 Posts
017 may have a 3.6 turbo. I read VW is exclusively making gas engines which "blow" in 017 or so, just like their diesels.
Porsche is moving in the same direction across its product line. In the US you can't buy a Macan without a turbo. The base Macan has two turbos. The Macan Turbo has, um, two turbos. :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Actual real world mileage is available for most cars and trucks on Fuelly.com. You can search the database by; manufacturer, model, year, and engine type. All data is from people like me on their own vehicles. I keep all my mileage records on there. Also, you can find repair frequency for almost any vehicle on Truedelta.com. If you sign on to be a member they will send you an email every 3 months asking if you've had any repairs since the last inquiry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts