Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, what a great site! So I'm a former TDI'r, bought a new 2002 Jetta TDI wagon and had it for 10 years, Loved it! I've just recently test driven a 2014 Treg with 94K and loved that, so I made an offer. Owner agreed and then said that at a recent visit to the dealer they found a small oil leak apparently from the oil cooler and that he will have it fixed by the dealer under the 100k warranty. This was supposed to be completed today. I received a call from the owner who informed me that they had completed the repair and the diagnostics said it was good to go. They fired her up and... wait for it.....(the dealer said) the fuel injectors completely flooded the entire engine with fuel, thereby destroying it!! I said, "Really? You gotta be kidding!!" He said "I can't believe it either" Long story, short... dealer is ordering a brand new engine, I assume from Germany, Hungary or Slovakia, and will be installing it free of charge, with a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty. This is in addition to the existing 10yr/120K "diesel gate emmissions" warranty. My questions are 1) Has anyone ever heard of this happening (is this complete BS) and 2) Should I stay or walk away? Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
387 Posts
It would be nice to get to the bottom of what truly caused the wrecked engine. Will the new engine come with new injectors and what peripherals will be carried over (presume alternator, AC compressor, what else?).

If you can make yourself very comfortable with the new engine, I'd say that would be in favour of getting it presumably for same price.

Given they have a diagnostics report - ask to see the contents of the diagnostics report after the new engine is in AND also after it has been driven for 30 minutes. It is easy to clear fault codes and present a 'clean' report only to have a true fault masked unscrupulously.

Good luck and let us know where you head.

Pete.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Pete for the quick reply! I agree, I'd really like to know the actual reason(s) how the wrecked it. Thanks for the heads up on asking about peripherals and the diagnostic reports before and after the install. I will be getting it for the same price if I go ahead with the deal. This Treg was originally sold at this same dealership and has had two owners with all scheduled maintenance done there as well. I have requested copies of the all the work they have done to date.

Will definitely keep posting updates....
MattQ

·
Registered
468 Posts
A 6 year old vehicle with a brand new engine isn't something you'd walk away from lightly. What the original issue is less important than how they handled it. My guess is the dealer is going to be getting alot of guidance from VW corporate on this. I seriously doubt they want to give away any more engines than they have to.
My guess is it's a Long Block. You can look in ETKA for what is included in the different replacement engine options.
I was surprised they fixed the oil cooler leak under warranty. Activating all the injectors and then trying to start it... sounds like somebody had a bad day and made a mistake running diagnostics.
The shop that gives you a new engine instead of just changing the oil is one you want to keep going to.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The only catastrophic failure that has occurred in some numbers is the failure of the High Pressure Fuel Pump (search for HPFP failure) where the pump grenades and distributes shards of swarf through the entire fuel system and costs up US $16,000 to replace everything.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hmm. Never heard of this happening on the 3.0 TDI. Very strange.

Oil Cooler leak should be covered by extended fix warranty and the factory warranty. No surprise that it was covered.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received a text from the owner "New engine and new turbo have arrived. Waiting on a couple of attachment items. Tech said it will take 35 labor hours for the work. The 1 yr/12K warranty is transferable to you. The engine is new." I just need to find out what the "attachment items" are. Apparently it will be ready to go in a couple weeks. Seems like a no-brainer to go ahead with purchasing this vehicle. I appreciate all the comments/advice to date, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vehicle has passed it's 2nd road test and is ready to pick up. However after the initial road test the engine overheated and they had to replace the water pump and thermostat. With regard to the "attachment items", everything was carried over i.e. starter, alternator, exhaust manifold, etc. RocketTEch was right, the "new engine" is only the long block and turbo and now also a new oil cooler, water pump and thermostat. I'm attaching the repair order which we copied and pasted into a pdf. I would appreciate some input on whether you all think I should proceed with this purchase? We feel this is still a good deal at the offering price of $17k. My concern is that other issues due to these repairs may pop up down the road. Many thanks for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Sorry, but unless someone puts a 1,000 miles on this Touareg with no more issues I wouldn't touch this car with a barge pole.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Can you ask if you can ride along while they test drive it when the new pump is installed? And also have a TDI guru in the area check it out? Seems like a good deal, but I'd want to check it out carefully and also look carefully at what is covered on that new warranty. I'm thinking the water pump and t'stat would not normally be included in that 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm "borrowing" the car on Monday and taking it to a import shop they specializes in German vehicles to get their opinion and run a separate diagnostic.The owner picked up the car today and said that it was driving great. I've asked him for a copy of the 1yr./12k warranty to look over.

·
Registered
468 Posts
There's two ways of looking at this- VW/the seller are trying to trick you into buying a lemon, or you're getting a vehicle with a new engine and multiple warranties.
The dealer is happy to replace whatever they can, because they get paid by VW just as if you brought it in and were paying cash. It's more money for them the more problems they find with it. I'm not convinced the techs at the dealer are used to working with Diesels or are following every step in the manual, but they have every reason to exhaustively work to get everything right on it.
The Water Pump at least is now covered by a 1 year warranty, not positive on the thermostat- ask the service adviser.
There is simply no support for the idea this is a lemon they are trying to push off on an unsuspecting customer. At the end of the day, it has a brand-new engine and some great warranties. You've also found a dealer willing to go to bat for the customer.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I would be most concerned now about the fact that it overheated the NEW long block/heads. It might have been a mild over temp or it could have been a serious extended running overheat and we will probably never know the truth but that would be my concern. Fine, they've replaced the thermostat and water pump but is there any damage now remaining (ie head gasket, warped heads) that could surface in the future?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the advice RocketTech and Crispy3. I asked the senior service advisor today about the added 12 mo/12k engine warranty and the water pump and thermo are included on that. He also said that the stuck injector flooding which warped the rods and destroyed the engine was only the 2nd occurrence he had experienced in his 30 years on the job. The owner also brought up the fact again today that the car had zero issues in 94,000 miles prior to the oil cooler leak which led to the current chain of events. If the 2nd opinion at the shop on Monday is positive, I'll probably roll the dice and buy it. Crispy3, I hope they shut it down immediately upon it overheating and will ask about that tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, on balance you're probably safe by having the warranty, if they do a cooling system check (hydrocarbon sniffer to see if head gasket failure) or cooling fluid contamination in oil is all clear then could be ok and worth the small gamble.

These are things that would be at the back of my mind for the next few months.

Pete.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts