Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my rig august 2019 its a 2014 executive TDI have always had a sweet spot for touaregs. Had super low mileage and every option you could throw in it. Bought the car online and paid an independent car surveyor to ”bless it”. About a week after i got it, i noticed a stain on the headliner/passenger pillar joint and didn’t pay too much attention until it rained. I noticed that it didn’t have the OEM windshield and saw that there was a gap at the top corner of windshield/ pillar area. Called safelight and the guy was like “bro its your sunroof..... I bet one of your drains are clogged”. I looked into that and made sure everything was clear..yay.
we get rain again and passenger foot well is soaked. I go online and start researching “VW touareg sunroof leak” and basically come up with all these threads that point to the crappy fitting that connects the hose to drain. I pull sunvisor/grabhandle/pillar cover off and see that i have the new version and not the crappy one, but figure it got loose some how and that was the issue. I pour water in the Chanel all good.......Yay!

rains again and footwell wet/car becoming a terrarium (**** me!!!) pull everything down again, pour water, pour more water in the Chanel and I get a leak........****ing frame is faulty (VW calls it the sunroof tub) I go online and get a feel for what the part costs kinda think (for a nanosecond) what is involved in removing the ENTIRE sunroof and decide to call my insurance company.

Take the car to the dealership To have them take a peek. Those morons have it for 2 days and cant make it leak. I say to them “do you actually think I’m making this **** up? Did you notice the water stain? They then ask me to come to the dealership to replicate the leak which I do and then they are satisfied. So It pretty much works like this: My insurance is paying for the labor to pretty much “gut“ the interior: All new carpeting, headliner etc. Since the headliner is out most of the labor to get to the sunroof is already covered. I’m on the hook for the new frame $1138.34 and the labor $435.00 I believe the headliner/carpeting/labor cost is $2717.42 so a combined grand total ish of $4290.00 pretty expensive leak. All this said though, I love the car. My wife drives an ML550 and wants my touareg

·
Registered
34 Posts
Why can't VW get sunroofs correct. It seems like this leak issues basically applies to every pano roof they make. Definitely a problem with the MK6 JSW's. And I think its a major problem with the MK7 GSW and Alltracks as well. The costs to deal with them are just mind boggling. I specifically sought out a wagon without a roof. I will admit that the roof on the Toureg is really nice and the kids love it. I'm glad we park in a garage. We haven't noticed a leak yet, but do park in a garage so that helps. Our only carpet soaking so far was from the A/C drain flapper sticking closed.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would be going to VWOA, There many of these issues across the board and VW has a special notice out for fixing them. I had most of my JSW roof issue paid by them. I will say the Touareg hasn't had as many issues as the other models. I have had 2 Touaregs and no leaks so far. It's the luck of the draw unfortunately. They are still a great car.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My insurance is paying for the labor to pretty much “gut“ the interior: All new carpeting, headliner etc. Since the headliner is out most of the labor to get to the sunroof is already covered. I’m on the hook for the new frame $1138.34 and the labor $435.00 I believe the headliner/carpeting/labor cost is $2717.42 so a combined grand total ish of $4290.00 pretty expensive leak. All this said though, I love the car. My wife drives an ML550 and wants my touareg
We def. looked at an ML from the same era (and a GL, and an RL) and were stunned by how low-rent it felt in there compared to our '12 Touareg! (Or our '04 E class, for that matter...)

But about this insurance-- did you just make a claim under comprehensive? How does that work? Why did they not cover the whole repair minus deductible?
{Just worrying at this point, my pano sunroof is not leaking...but we're wondering about switching to a T2, and the pano is the main reason my wife wants a T3 instead.}

1 - 7 of 7 Posts