Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have read a bunch of posts on issues with the Touareg spare tires. I did not find a solution to my problem. Obviously not a very popular design. Anyway, I had a flat a few weeks ago and used the provided air compressor to attempt to inflate the spare. This did nothing after a complete 10 minutes of operation. I could feel the air coming out between the inner tire layer and the rim as the compressor did its thing. So, the problems was that a good seal did not form between the tire and rim. I tried pushing on the tire to improve the seal. This was no help. I was hoping that a higher powered compressor would provide air quickly enough to force the tire to seal. I took the tire to a friend who had an industrial compressor. Still no success. I had to get it towed because the spare would not inflate. This comes to my questions: Is there a special procedure for inflating this spare tire or getting the inner layer of the tire to seal correctly against the rim. ? Do I need to take this to a VW dealer to have a special "manipulation" done on the tire to position it correctly on the rim? Thanks for your help!!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Have you had the car since new?

If not then I wonder if the spare has been mis-used by a previous owner.

From memory the tire bead should be mounted on the rim correctly and therefore should inflate.

Before I started using tire strings to fix flats without even taking the wheel off I used my spaceaver spare two or three times and there was no problem inflating it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought one used and it has the same issue. My tire shop couldn’t get the bead to sit properly on the rim. He could get it to inflate on the tire machine after messing with it but as soon as it deflated the bead would slip off. He didn’t see how it could be repaired, maybe the get old and deform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20,430 Posts

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
I will start off by saying that I haven't ever touched or tried to inflate my space saver......
However, in experiencing difficulty trying to get other tires/beads to seat properly on rims without a powerful shop compressor available, I have used ratchet straps to restrict the center circumference of the tire in order to aid the beads seat "first"...... obviously a wider strap is better.

Just a suggestion, as they are readily available.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your comments! It is good to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this issue. I may try taking it to a shop, as Fleabag suggests, having them inflate (if they can), then leave it inflated for an extended period of time to see if I can undo any deformation. It might be good practice to inflate these every once in a while so they are more likely to keep the correct shape/bead? I do have rachet straps, so I may try that first. I will post any progress. I may end up buying a new one. They are not cheap, but not being able to put on a spare tire when you have a flat on a road trip can be very dangerous, or at least extremely inconvenient.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Do take the time to look into tire strings. Very effective and quick too. And - since you have no spare - do it now!!

·
Registered
360 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Thank you all for your comments! It is good to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this issue. I may try taking it to a shop, as Fleabag suggests, having them inflate (if they can), then leave it inflated for an extended period of time to see if I can undo any deformation. It might be good practice to inflate these every once in a while so they are more likely to keep the correct shape/bead? I do have rachet straps, so I may try that first. I will post any progress. I may end up buying a new one. They are not cheap, but not being able to put on a spare tire when you have a flat on a road trip can be very dangerous, or at least extremely inconvenient.

If you are going to go to the expense of replacing the spacesaver why don't you just go and buy a full size spare which will be much more useful and MUCH easier to use, downside of course will be finding the space for it, I and many others have tossed the spacesaver for a full size combination which I store upright in the cargo area.

TonyB

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have read a bunch of posts on issues with the Touareg spare tires. I did not find a solution to my problem. Obviously not a very popular design. Anyway, I had a flat a few weeks ago and used the provided air compressor to attempt to inflate the spare. This did nothing after a complete 10 minutes of operation. I could feel the air coming out between the inner tire layer and the rim as the compressor did its thing. So, the problems was that a good seal did not form between the tire and rim. I tried pushing on the tire to improve the seal. This was no help. I was hoping that a higher powered compressor would provide air quickly enough to force the tire to seal. I took the tire to a friend who had an industrial compressor. Still no success. I had to get it towed because the spare would not inflate. This comes to my questions: Is there a special procedure for inflating this spare tire or getting the inner layer of the tire to seal correctly against the rim. ? Do I need to take this to a VW dealer to have a special "manipulation" done on the tire to position it correctly on the rim? Thanks for your help!!
We have a 2008 Toureg and have the exact same problem. We can’t get a seal between the tire and rim to pump up the spare. Took the spare to Costco and they were unable to get the tire pumped up with a full sized compressor. Horrible spare tire design.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I had exactly the same problem. The space saver spare did not inflate as the tire wasn't sealing against the rim and leaking air when inflating. Not even a service station air compressor helped. Had to have it towed 200km to the nearest tyre store! Very frustrating - could have put my family at risk!
Hi,
Exactly the same thing happened to me last night. Very frustrating - left me and my family on the side of the road 100km from nearest town!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts