Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
They used to just pull straight out (in my 2008 ). But I just went out to the garage and tried the same thing on my 2014 and it's not that way. So I have no idea..... Curious too now.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They used to just pull straight out (in my 2008 ). But I just went out to the garage and tried the same thing on my 2014 and it's not that way. So I have no idea..... Curious too now.
Scratching my head. Haha

·
Registered
65 Posts
Nah its not. I used the hex key just to push in on the 2 push pin tabs. U can use anything really the hex keys were just convenient

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you send me a picture for reference? I would hate to break my chair over a $10.00 item that I'm trying to Put on. Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 2014 too. It's an absolute pain to do until you figure it out. I keep an extra paint can opener in the Touareg because I find that the upward curve works easiest to access the button. It's the only thing I've found that pretty much consistently works. A 2nd person is helpful but not required. I can post pictures tomorrow if you still haven't gotten it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Okay--- I kind of feel posting pictures is a service because it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure it out.

Again, use a paint can opener. It works really, really well. The curved side of the paint can opener goes face up so that the curve points to the headliner. You push the button under the edge in with the paint can opener, then push the button on the side of the headrest and pop it out. Again, it helps to have 2 people but it's not required. If you're doing it right, you don't have to pull very hard.

The biggest issue I found is that the manual is flat out wrong on how to do it. The theory is correct, but the image showing where to put the flat object is incorrect. So, if you're sitting in the back seat behind the headrest you want to remove, the button is always on the OUTER right side. The same is true for the backseat buttons.

Standard Home Depot Paint Can Opener:

Incorrect image in manual with red overlay showing where the correct location is.

Showing how it works.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Okay--- I kind of feel posting pictures is a service because it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure it out.

Again, use a paint can opener. It works really, really well. The curved side of the paint can opener goes face up so that the curve points to the headliner. You push the button under the edge in with the paint can opener, then push the button on the side of the headrest and pop it out. Again, it helps to have 2 people but it's not required. If you're doing it right, you don't have to pull very hard.

The biggest issue I found is that the manual is flat out wrong on how to do it. The theory is correct, but the image showing where to put the flat object is incorrect. So, if you're sitting in the back seat behind the headrest you want to remove, the button is always on the OUTER right side. The same is true for the backseat buttons.

Standard Home Depot Paint Can Opener:

Incorrect image in manual with red overlay showing where the correct location is.

Showing how it works.

The only image is the can opener, your dropbox account is no longer valid.

I'm trying to do this on my 14 that have the 4 way adjustable headrests.

They may be different than the standard one..??

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only image is the can opener, your dropbox account is no longer valid.

I'm trying to do this on my 14 that have the 4 way adjustable headrests.

They may be different than the standard one..??
+1 the most important images above are dead, anyone who can offer any guidance? Much appreciated!

·
Registered
393 Posts
For the rear headrest you have to use a credit card or something of the like to slide under the slide that does not have the push button release. The are some trigger pins that are not visible. I think maybe its the same for the front headrest.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I'll try to get some time to snap some new pics. Once you figure it out it isn't that hard.

The key is figuring it out LOL

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
So for the front headrests there similar to the older models in that you have to squeeze them to lift the headrests out. But VW decided to put these fancy little covers over the top.

So for me at least popping the covers up was the easiest way to do this, and then squeeze as normal and lift as normal...

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Try this

Attachments

Reactions: Tcharlton56
1 - 17 of 17 Posts