Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at buying a 2014 - 15 Touareg most likely a 150 but hopefully a 180. I know that they have a 3500kg towing capacity with tare weight around 2200kg and gvm of 2890. What I can't find out from dealers or other sites is the actual GCM. We have just purchased a 23' van with gvm of 2700kg and ball weight of 200kg. I need to work out the legalities of weights for towing. Also any feedback from current / past owners towing similar vans.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Need someone with an owners manual of the right year to comment for sure (will list other models if in right region for availability).

My older Treg's are not labeled or stamped individually anyplace physically, rather manual has weights and specifications by model generically. My "vintage" Treg's are GVM plus max trailer...for my older "rig" (not sure that term is used abroad but means tow vehicle plus trailer) is 6,450 kg (this would be my GCM as defined TV plus payload plus trailer plus payload).
Check with someone with manual to confirm for sure as laws may very by country.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Weedie
I don't the manual with at the moment but I have a caravan that is 3380 kg and we are well within the weight limits
So you will be fine
You just need to be careful with tow ball weight
If you are buying new then since around 2013 the ball weight was reduced from 350 kg to 280 kg
Ours is 240 so no problems
Just remember that if you have air suspension that you cannot use WDH but it is not needed

If you get steel suspension then I would look at using WDH as I did on previous 2 Touareg's

Fred

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
We are looking at buying a 2014 - 15 Touareg most likely a 150 but hopefully a 180. I know that they have a 3500kg towing capacity with tare weight around 2200kg and gvm of 2890. What I can't find out from dealers or other sites is the actual GCM. We have just purchased a 23' van with gvm of 2700kg and ball weight of 200kg. I need to work out the legalities of weights for towing. Also any feedback from current / past owners towing similar vans.
Good luck in obtaining the GVCM, in Australia that figure is not shown on any compliance plate nor in the vehicle manual although it is available in other markets.
I have contacted VWA a couple of times in the past 6 months that very same question without success for my '08 model, when I suggested that it may be the the GVM plus the 3500kgs max allowable trailer mass they would not confirm or deny that mumber.
First port of call for you would be to call VW customer service (1800607822) and ask them to quote you that figure, they may well have that for such a current model, I would also tell them that a new vehicle sale hinges on them providing you the GCVM.

Re towing feedback, I can say we have towed our off-road van, (GTM 3150/ATM 3500/TB 310+kgs), from Cairns through to Melbourne and back to Mid coast NSW with no issues so far (around 1/3 of that travel was in outback conditions) however, although I have upgraded my suspension (Seikel), I still need to use the Hayman Reece 800lb WD bars to shift some of the load to the front axle, as with 300+kgs on the towball rear end sag is a bit more than what I am happy with.

Big thumbs up from me, best all round vehicle I have owned, go ahead and buy your Touareg, you will not be disappointed!

TonyB

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok found it
The Gcvm is actually in the manual
This is for the 2015 model

image-212364896.jpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
with thanks

Good afternoon again, everyone. Thank you very much for the info on the GCM. Our van which we picked up yesterday is GVM 2900kg with ball load of 199kgs. It puts us well within the specs of the vehicle which is always an issue with insurance. Many vehicles today have a tow capacity of 3500kg but when the tare of the vehicle is at it's maximum the GCM is exceeded. A true nightmare for all concerned. We have put a deposit on a 2014 Touareg with 180kw motor which has the high and low range gearbox, central diff lock, 100 litre fuel tank etc. Already has towbar fitted, electric brake controller etc. Hope to get many fun years out of both. Will have an extended warranty as well to cover some of the concerns that VW have had. Our last Passat and current Alltrack have them. Gives peace of mind when away from big smokes. Will keep everyone updated. Cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Weedie and congratulations
Have you air suspension or steel
Have you got a genuine towbar or a Hayman Reese
If genuine is it the horizontal insert of the younger or the vertical insert
If you have steel, I would suggest a WDH and I have one that is set up for a Touareg already
Make sure you have a genuine tow controller, you will find this out as soon as the trailer is connected the remote boot release will not work ( unless overridden by Vagcom etc)
This tow control module is very important as it does quite a few things like changing gearbox shift points, trailer stability, etc

Happy traveling

Fred

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info Fred K. Car does have air suspension. The photos of the car show what appears to be a Red Arc remote control unit for towing. At this time, I do not know whether it is a genuine or aftermarket tow bar. Is the VW electric brake controller included with the genuine towbar or is it an added accessory - ie: can it be ordered from VW as a genuine accessory and be compatible with an aftermarket towbar. I obviously want the best set up considering the money we are spending on the vehicle and van. The car is not a 'cheap' buy but has all the bells and whistles which would equate to another $20k on a new (demo) car at 150kw

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Thanks for the info Fred K. Car does have air suspension. The photos of the car show what appears to be a Red Arc remote control unit for towing. At this time, I do not know whether it is a genuine or aftermarket tow bar. Is the VW electric brake controller included with the genuine towbar or is it an added accessory - ie: can it be ordered from VW as a genuine accessory and be compatible with an aftermarket towbar. I obviously want the best set up considering the money we are spending on the vehicle and van. The car is not a 'cheap' buy but has all the bells and whistles which would equate to another $20k on a new (demo) car at 150kw
Hi weedie,

You probably know this however just to avoid confusion we need to clarify some terminology used on this subject.

The VW "Towing Module" is a VW product which is normally included when a genuine VW towbar is ordered, this unit does quite a few things as FredK has mentioned, changes transmissions shift points, adds trailer to stability control (no-one seems to know exactly how this is done), disables rear proximity sensors, disables electric hatch opening and there may well be other things as well.
It is highly likely that if a non genuine towbar is fitted that the towing module has not, however it can be retrofitted.

The "Brake Controller" is not a VW supplied item, it's an in car device that is required by law to be fitted if the trailer has electric brakes.

This unit basically senses when the towing vehicle brakes are applied and actuates the trailer brakes in unison, it must also enable the driver to actuate the trailer brakes manually (independently) of the vehicle brakes, it generally also enables the driver to adjust the trailer brake bias as well.

Two popular brake controller manufacturers are the aussie manufactured Red Arc and the US manufacturer "Tekonsha".

TonyB

·
Registered
67 Posts
spot on Tony - I have just finished getting quotes on an update and although VW dealership will fit tow pack and 7/14 pin cable -they will not touch the brake controller or the breakaway switch. These need to be fitted by a pro who has done tregs before do not get an autoelectrician who hasn't wired a treg before to touch it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, got all that. What sort of trailer connector is fitted to the Touareg - 7 pin round or flat. Jayco vans run a 12 (7 + 5) pin flat plug. My Landcruiser cab chassis has a 12 pin flat plug. The towbar appears to be a horizontal fit square tube, possibly a Hayman Reese and an Anderson plug is visible in the photos which would indicate it has been towing a van as opposed to a horse float.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi Weedie
The genuineVW has a large 13 pin round that has a twist lock
For Aus they have a short length of 13 to 7 converter in either standard flat or round
I have heard that the 13 to 7 round converter had problems in 2013 &2014

Basically if it has an Anderson plug this better as it means heavier wiring than can fit in the 12 flat so if your van has Anderson all good

Fred

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi weedie,

You probably know this however just to avoid confusion we need to clarify some terminology used on this subject.

The VW "Towing Module" is a VW product which is normally included when a genuine VW towbar is ordered, this unit does quite a few things as FredK has mentioned, changes transmissions shift points, adds trailer to stability control (no-one seems to know exactly how this is done), disables rear proximity sensors, disables electric hatch opening and there may well be other things as well.
It is highly likely that if a non genuine towbar is fitted that the towing module has not, however it can be retrofitted.

The "Brake Controller" is not a VW supplied item, it's an in car device that is required by law to be fitted if the trailer has electric brakes.

This unit basically senses when the towing vehicle brakes are applied and actuates the trailer brakes in unison, it must also enable the driver to actuate the trailer brakes manually (independently) of the vehicle brakes, it generally also enables the driver to adjust the trailer brake bias as well.

Two popular brake controller manufacturers are the aussie manufactured Red Arc and the US manufacturer "Tekonsha".

TonyB
Hi, The more I read the more I worry..I have my Touareg2008 booked in tomorrow to have redarc towpro installed..was hard to find auto elec to touch it. this auto elec said he's confident to do the installation, has worked on Treggs BUT hasn't installed a controller on one. Seafarer is the towing module the same as the factory brake control connector? I'm second owner of vehichle and there is a genuine tow bar fitted does this mean the towing module is as well?
Ta Cherie

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Further to aftermarket towbars - Hayman Reese.

Hope this helps, Cherie and others.
I just spoke to Michael, Service Manager at Bayford VW in Epping, Victoria (where car was originally purchased). He was most helpful and happy to provide info about this issue.
Hayman Reese towbars are the most common after market towbar fitted to Touaregs. A very good product, in his words the equal or better than VW.
When supplied, there is a normally a 7/12 pin flat plug extension which connects to original 13 pin round fitted as standard. When plugged into trailer with engine switched on and accessories such as lights, indicators turned on, the dash will light up like a 'Christmas tree' if the ECU module has not been reprogrammed by VW.
Most H.R. installers are very aware of the problem and advise clients to go straight to VW to have the ECU sorted.
I will know tonight when the 'new' car turns up whether ours has been done. Will let you all know when I actually get to see the bloody thing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
P.S. to above post. Reprogramming the module apparently does NOT alter transmission shift points but does do all the other things previously mentioned.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hope this helps, Cherie and others.
I just spoke to Michael, Service Manager at Bayford VW in Epping, Victoria (where car was originally purchased). He was most helpful and happy to provide info about this issue.
Hayman Reese towbars are the most common after market towbar fitted to Touaregs. A very good product, in his words the equal or better than VW.
When supplied, there is a normally a 7/12 pin flat plug extension which connects to original 13 pin round fitted as standard. When plugged into trailer with engine switched on and accessories such as lights, indicators turned on, the dash will light up like a 'Christmas tree' if the ECU module has not been reprogrammed by VW.
Most H.R. installers are very aware of the problem and advise clients to go straight to VW to have the ECU sorted.
I will know tonight when the 'new' car turns up whether ours has been done. Will let you all know when I actually get to see the bloody thing.
By the sounds of it you have the HR towbar fitted and the VW tow module has not fitted, is that correct?
I have been around for a while here on CT and have not heard of ECU reprogramming before.
Seeing your new car has been used for towing a van I would expect any electrical gremlins have already been sorted out.

TonyB

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Tony.
Only going on what service person said.
However.... as soon as Maureen got home, first thing I did was plug the van in to the fitted 12 pin flat plug. Turned the engine on, plus lights blinkers etc and had no 'Christmas tree' of lights on dash. All seemed to work okay. Didn't think to try the remote boot release. Any suggestions as to how to find out if the 'towing module' has actually been fitted. Would VW keep records of such things seeing that it would have to go to a dealer to be fitted. Can't ring the previous owner as there is no record in handbook.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Try the remote boot release. If tailgate opens, you have a non-VW towing ECU.

My HR towbar was fitted with a HR towing ECU [when MY12 treg came to Australia, VW were going through issues with VW towbars and did not offer a VW towing option for some 12 months]. Anyhow, HR ECU works fine but lacks some of the features of the VW ECU e.g. does not isolate remote tailgate release or rear parking sensor; no interface to vehicl stability control; and more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, Tony. Only going on what service person said. However.... as soon as Maureen got home, first thing I did was plug the van in to the fitted 12 pin flat plug. Turned the engine on, plus lights blinkers etc and had no 'Christmas tree' of lights on dash. All seemed to work okay. Didn't think to try the remote boot release. Any suggestions as to how to find out if the 'towing module' has actually been fitted. Would VW keep records of such things seeing that it would have to go to a dealer to be fitted. Can't ring the previous owner as there is no record in handbook.
Hi Weedie,
We bought a my15 back in March, 180. Vw towbar for the new model wasn't available so we were advised to go with HR.
Worst thing we ever did.
The car went back several times since. VW solution was to change the whole wiring harness. I now have a OEM VW tow harness. All features now work.
HR harness will not cancel rear park sensors. You will have to manually cancel every time you start the car. Blue motion will not cancel again you must do manually. This must be off for towing as per VW. Stability control doesn't work. Rear hatch stays active.
Highly recommend to change the full harness

·
Registered
338 Posts
Try the remote boot release. If tailgate opens, you have a non-VW towing ECU. My HR towbar was fitted with a HR towing ECU [when MY12 treg came to Australia, VW were going through issues with VW towbars and did not offer a VW towing option for some 12 months]. Anyhow, HR ECU works fine but lacks some of the features of the VW ECU e.g. does not isolate remote tailgate release or rear parking sensor; no interface to vehicl stability control; and more.
The hatch test is not 100%. Someone may have reprogrammed it with a VAG COM or similar device like I did. My trailer doesn't interfere with my hatch so I wanted it to be able to open with the trailer attached.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts