Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m hoping someone might be able to help with advice for DIY rear disc replacement. My 2013 R-line 3.0d
Touareg has the electric parking brake, I assume that these shoes that fit internally in the disc do nothing more than hold the car whilst stationary and therefore do not wear. I also assume that any replacement discs internal diameter should be the same as the original. Therefore can you simply disengage the parking brake, remove the disc and then fit the new one? I’ve read that new discs require the gap between shoes and disc to be adjusted. My local dealer wants over £650 for this job. I can get TWR parts, discs, pads and wear sensors for £150. I did the fronts myself and it only took an hour. I don’t want to feel like I’m being robbed. Has anybody done this job? Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The rear air gap needs to be adjusted. if they only want 650 pounds (im not gonna search for the symbol) I would jump on that. My dealer here in USA for my '14 TDI LUX wanted something stupid like $2000 for the rears. I ended up going to a private garage and supplied the parts and they charged me $400 or so in labor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I think I will do likewise and buy the parts myself and get a local garage to fit them. I just don’t really understand how these parking brakes operate. They can only be used when stationary, so why the need for adjustments if you don’t replace the shoes. I suppose having a go yourself could lead to a monumental cock up. I’ve seen it done on a 2007 Q7 but I don’t know if this vehicle has an E- brake or a peddle.

·
Registered
652 Posts
There are several threads on here and on mytreg dealing with e-brakes.

Spend some time finding them and reading up.

If you get it wrong you will end up back at the dealer!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Under my point of view, unless you are replacing the hand brake drum shoes, it an easy DIY job. Just make sure that the hand brake is off while replacing the discs. No need to go to the dealer or local garage.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Under my point of view, unless you are replacing the hand brake drum shoes, it an easy DIY job. Just make sure that the hand brake is off while replacing the discs. No need to go to the dealer or local garage.
The air gap must be set. A new disc will be different from what is taken off. I wouldn't chance something not being right. Especially with the braking system.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
632 Posts
Not saying it's necessary or not to set the air gap for the electronic E-brake after replacing the rotors but I remember in other brake threads that members have replaced their rotors without setting/calibrating the air gap.
IMO if you change the rotors and the E-brake pads don't drag, and you apply the E-brake and they hold, it shouldn't need to be done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts