Club Touareg Forum banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agree with the earlier post. For those of you who say your sensor failed - even if it fails, ALL YOUR OIL WOULD NEED TO LEAK OUT for it to matter. If your sensor fails and at the same time all your oil disappears then you may have bigger problems than just this.

I've read about more touaregs being destroyed by hurricanes and other acts of god than this. Dipsticks are great, when they are accurate . When not -- well, seems a bit confusing.

Just my .02. Let the wrath begin. :)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I really don't see why folk are getting exercised by this.

Some people like a dipstick, others will just trust the sensor.

Each to their own.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I really don't see why folk are getting exercised by this.

Some people like a dipstick, others will just trust the sensor.

Each to their own.
I think you might have meant to say "Some people prefer an inaccurate dipstick over the sensor". ;)

If I could buy an accurate dipstick, heck yes, I'd get one. I actually have the one everyone seems to be buying. Not going to leave it in all the time. (Truthfully I've never tried it on the '13 but it read way low on the '12).

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
No I didn't actually.

I think those people that have taken the trouble to buy a dipstick might just have enough common sense to double check the correct level when they pick their car up after a service. It's not that hard to file a mark on it when they get home.

·
Registered
187 Posts
What do you mean "stopped working"? Was it giving you the message about the engine needing to be warmed up and turned off etc? That is not a malfunction unless it never goes away. I've found that adding even 1/8th liter of oil, or parking on a steep incline, triggers that message, which makes sense if the electronic readout is based on the computer getting several consecutive consistent oil level measurements. If it detects a sudden change in oil level, it needs to recalibrate so to speak. You wouldn't check your dipstick while parked on a hill and expect an accurate reading. Assuming you even have an accurate dipstick in the first place.
For 48 hours it would not give me a reading no matter what position, warm or cold, engine on or off...only with the same message that a reading would be coming in two minutes after warm up and engine off. We have all seen this message, but it appears the screen (or sensor) was stuck in this mode. Two days later it was back to normal. You are missing the point. Having the dip stick is the same as measuring tire pressure manually. I will bet most of us do this too and not just rely on the built in sensor.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm not missing your point or anyone else's point, but I seem to be utterly unable to convince anyone about my point: Having an inaccurate dipstick permanently installed, and only one person in the world knows it's inaccurate, doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'll stop now. :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm not missing your point or anyone else's point, but I seem to be utterly unable to convince anyone about my point: Having an inaccurate dipstick permanently installed, and only one person in the world knows it's inaccurate, doesn't seem like a good idea. I'll stop now. :)
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
What about cleanly obliterating the stamped fill marks on the dipstick and filing or engraving new, accurate ones. Then I'd be convinced nobody will make a mistake based on inaccuracy, including future owners. :) Just filing a new mark without making it obvious why it's there seems insufficient.

I lied when I said I was done. Sue me! ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This is much like the e-banking and e-accounts. Still some people like to hold the money, see it and not trust a computer screen

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
There seems to be this somewhat irrational paranoia about an oil level sensor failing and thus causing catastrophic engine failure.

Let me ask you all this, for those who have been around Internet Forums for a while now. How many threads/posts have you seen where someones engine has failed because all the oil somehow leaked out of the motor and an oil pressure gauge was either not present or the operator had no idea that the motor had lost its oil before it failed?
snip.
Exactly this happened to my wife while driving our 2000 Golf TDI. She ran over something in the street, cracked the pan and the oil ran out! She called me at home and said "The car won't start". She claimed the oil light did not come on! But of course, when I got there and tried to start the car the light was on because the engine was NOT running.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Exactly this happened to my wife while driving our 2000 Golf TDI. She ran over something in the street, cracked the pan and the oil ran out! She called me at home and said "The car won't start". She claimed the oil light did not come on! But of course, when I got there and tried to start the car the light was on because the engine was NOT running.
What reminds me again of some other women driver. A good friend had a Grand Cherokee 2.7CRD, and he bought an Audi and left the Jeep to his older sister. She was driving when the MFD started telling her Check oil, then it started telling oil level low until the engine collapsed while she was more than 60 mph going downhill. When she called him he was with me, having a coffe and she said him 'this car brakes alone, I never touched the brakes and it stopped suddenly that I almost went trough the windshield and now I can't start it again' :evil_laugh:

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

Ok, and the dipstick saved the day, right?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
OK, I tried the dipstick in my '13 TDI 3.0 (U.S.). Dipstick is P/N 059 115 611 AA, which was last used in the 2010 TDI 3.0 and the one that's being recommended for later years that didn't come with a dipstick (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Sensor says:

Dipstick says:

The level on the dipstick is way above MAX, beyond that round bulb-thing.

Same dipstick in my 2012 TDI read just a hair above MIN with a full crankcase.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I'm not missing your point or anyone else's point, but I seem to be utterly unable to convince anyone about my point: Having an inaccurate dipstick permanently installed, and only one person in the world knows it's inaccurate, doesn't seem like a good idea.

I'll stop now. :)

I'm convinced that having an uncalibrated tool of any sort is ridiculous. Why not just stick an old coat hanger down the hole and use that instead?

If there is a correct P/N for the '13 then that's what should be used..but as seen by the engine cover design, the "dipstick" tube is no longer really useable as that (engine cover is in the way), its an oil extraction tube now.

All that said unless anyone has a home oil analysis lab, convincing me that "smelling" or "looking" at the oil can add value is hokey...oil turns black in diesels within a few hours...its as ugly at 200 miles as it is at 5000 miles.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I'm convinced that having an uncalibrated tool of any sort is ridiculous. Why not just stick an old coat hanger down the hole and use that instead?

If there is a correct P/N for the '13 then that's what should be used..but as seen by the engine cover design, the "dipstick" tube is no longer really useable as that (engine cover is in the way), its an oil extraction tube now.

All that said unless anyone has a home oil analysis lab, convincing me that "smelling" or "looking" at the oil can add value is hokey...oil turns black in diesels within a few hours...its as ugly at 200 miles as it is at 5000 miles.
Thank You Sir. :clap:

Imagine a tire shop where they have five wheel lug torque wrenches, but one of them reads 50% too high. Tire Tech #1 knows that wrench reads 50% high and tries to adjust accordingly. The other tire techs don't know the wrench is wrong because it's not labeled as being inaccurate for its intended purpose.

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
Thank You Sir. :clap:

Imagine a tire shop where they have five wheel lug torque wrenches, but one of them reads 50% too high. Tire Tech #1 knows that wrench reads 50% high and tries to adjust accordingly. The other tire techs don't know the wrench is wrong because it's not labeled as being inaccurate for its intended purpose.
Great analogy. Even the tech that 'knows' might forget every now and then.

All that said, I cannot support use of uncalibrated tools.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have two problems with my tdi only having a sensor. The sensor is not capable of showing me if the oil level is over full and the last time that I changed the oil it took 2 days for the sensor to show a level! When my new dipstick arrives in a couple of days I will calibrate it with new marks that match the display and live happily ever after:)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My 2013 owner's manual mentions at least twice not to drive the car if the displayed oil level is above "max", which suggests it can display an overfill condition. Do we know if that's wrong and overfill cannot be displayed?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can tell by the posts that there are some engineer types on here. Make some freaking accurately calibrated tourareg dipsticks and sell them to people in this board . Please! Then this discussion is moot.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My 2013 owner's manual mentions at least twice not to drive the car if the displayed oil level is above "max", which suggests it can display an overfill condition. Do we know if that's wrong and overfill cannot be displayed?
Eugene Dave ,

Didn't you write that you are going to stop writing in this thread?

On my 2012 tdi calibration is easy. When the sensor reads max, the oil level on the dipstick reads just a hair over halfway between min and max. Calibration done. Period.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts