Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at a 2013 Treg TDI. The engine says TDI. The tailgate says V6. The Carfax shows no accidents. Could the tailgate have been replaced? Perhaps an incorrect badge attached at the factory? Any opinions from you guys?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Highly unlikely the factory would mis-badge the car.

·
Registered
484 Posts
As great as it is to have a Carfax it only shows reported accidents/damage. Lots of people don't report these so their insurance doesn't go up. Might be the case in this instance.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I am currently looking at a 2013 Treg TDI. The engine says TDI. The tailgate says V6. The Carfax shows no accidents. Could the tailgate have been replaced? Perhaps an incorrect badge attached at the factory? Any opinions from you guys?
For one, there are actually some models that are badged V6 TDIs. Ie. they have both the V6 and the TDI badge. That said there are several reason why a Touareg with a TDI engine might be labeled as a V6, without the TDI, which I presume you're talking about.

The least likely of that is that the tailgate was fully replaced. More likely is that it either had the TDI badge deliberately removed (because the badge itself has been damaged, or the owner probably didn't like others knowing he was driving a diesel), or the tailgate was moderately damaged, then repainted, and only had the V6 badge refitted. Because for ex. the body shop didn't know better how to label a TDI V6 properly.

Asking the owner, taking a picture of the back of the car and a paint thickness gauge could help with figuring out / verifying which one actually happened.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I have not seen the car in person yet as it is out of state. I expect to have some information later today.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealership was no help and had no idea why the badge is missing. My conclusion (right or wrong) is that the tailgate was "sprayed" and the body shop put the wrong badge back on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I know I might add a '4Motion' badge to the back just because...

I was thinking of doing the same thing but decided against it because the 4motion badges don't seem to come in all chrome, the 4 is usually red, and placement would unbalance the chrome badges already on the rear hatch.
O.C.D. is such a pain sometimes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have seen a few V6 labeled Touaregs here in Norway. We have no sales of any other V6 than the TDI due to price. I suspect the owners just took off the TDI and BlueMotion and let the V6 stand alone.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well it's as likely that the rear hatch was replaced with a non-tdi badge as it is that the front engine cowling was replaced with a TDI badge. Are you sure it's diesel? Look in the fuel door - that's the sure-fire way to tell.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts