Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to as a tow hitch to my 2013 VW Touareg Sport w/ nav.

I am looking at adding a Reese Class III receiver as this one has towing capacity matching the factory unit
http://www.amazon.com/Reese-44758-I...3147-9-7-0&sr=1-1&ymm=2013:volkswagen:touareg

+

Factory trailer wiring kit:
Electrical Installation Kit for trailer hitch made by Volkswagen VW. #7P1055203

Is there anything else I need to make my vehicle tow ready? I will be towing a 5,000 lb boat package without trailer brakes. Do I need any ecu re-programming or anything else of that nature?

Thank you

Rich

·
Registered
144 Posts
Most states require trailer brakes for weights over either 3,000 or 3,500 pounds. Either case, at 5,000 pounds you are over all states maximum trailer weight requirement for supplemental braking.

Is this a TDI?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most states require trailer brakes for weights over either 3,000 or 3,500 pounds. Either case, at 5,000 pounds you are over all states maximum trailer weight requirement for supplemental braking.

Is this a TDI?
Its a V6 gas, the trailer has brakes and I have a universal wireless actuator. ( it was a typo in the original post)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm going to be installing a tow hitch soon and I'm curious to know how the Reese hitch fits. I like the idea of it's higher weight rating, too, but I see that it uses a straight horizontal bar where the Volkswagen and Curt models have a curve to them. Are you doing the work yourself? Please let us know how it all works out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am looking to install this same hitch also.

Draw-Tite Class III/IV, Custom Fit Trailer Hitch Receiver 75950

Your amazon link is cheaper which is good. I figure that for the amount you save on the hitch it is definitely worth it over the OEM.

Now the question I was coming to was what to use for a wiring harness. Reese recommends this one for the Touareg.
Tow Ready T-One Connector With Upgraded Circuit Protected HD Modulite 118668

From what I have been reading, it seems that some people have had complaints with certain wiring harnesses including the OEM when running trailers with LED lights. I have read things like flickering lights and other issues. This one says that the module draws power straight from the battery bypassing the electrical system of the vehicle which prevents any LED light issues. Now obviously, this one is a 4pin not a 7pin. So from what I can tell the options are the OEM 7pin or then something like this. I don't know much about towing and just getting started what would be the benefit of the 7pin OEM?

I have seen adaptors from 4pin to 7 but have not idea what would be necessary to make it happen. So ultimately, for those that have installed the harnesses, what is the best option?

·
Registered
55 Posts
To provide a little bit more feedback, All I need the hitch for is pulling a boat with surge breaks. From what I learned, with surge breaks you still need a fifth wire to tell the breaks to not engage when backing up. This means that if I use the 4pin connector I would need an adaptor to a 5pin with a wire that taps to the reverse wire on the vehicle. Any issues with that? Going with the 4-pin and adaptor would save $250-$300 vs going OEM plus it wouldn't require taking the car in to get the computer to recognize the module which seems to be another thing needed with the OEM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am looking to install this same hitch also.

Draw-Tite Class III/IV, Custom Fit Trailer Hitch Receiver 75950

Your amazon link is cheaper which is good. I figure that for the amount you save on the hitch it is definitely worth it over the OEM.

Now the question I was coming to was what to use for a wiring harness. Reese recommends this one for the Touareg.
Tow Ready T-One Connector With Upgraded Circuit Protected HD Modulite 118668

From what I have been reading, it seems that some people have had complaints with certain wiring harnesses including the OEM when running trailers with LED lights. I have read things like flickering lights and other issues. This one says that the module draws power straight from the battery bypassing the electrical system of the vehicle which prevents any LED light issues. Now obviously, this one is a 4pin not a 7pin. So from what I can tell the options are the OEM 7pin or then something like this. I don't know much about towing and just getting started what would be the benefit of the 7pin OEM?

I have seen adaptors from 4pin to 7 but have not idea what would be necessary to make it happen. So ultimately, for those that have installed the harnesses, what is the best option?
To provide a little bit more feedback, All I need the hitch for is pulling a boat with surge breaks. From what I learned, with surge breaks you still need a fifth wire to tell the breaks to not engage when backing up. This means that if I use the 4pin connector I would need an adaptor to a 5pin with a wire that taps to the reverse wire on the vehicle. Any issues with that? Going with the 4-pin and adaptor would save $250-$300 vs going OEM plus it wouldn't require taking the car in to get the computer to recognize the module which seems to be another thing needed with the OEM.
Just a thought: I purchased an OEM hitch, tow module, and wiring harness from a salvage yard for $300. The module I got was already coded correctly when I went to code it with my VCDS. And there could be someone in your area with a VCDS that could code your module if necessary. When you hook up your trailer to the factory system, the back up proximity sensors (and power lift gate?) are automatically disabled, the transmission shift points are higher, the Touareg lets you know if you have a light out on the trailer and confirms that your turn signals are working with a separate indicator on the dash. The Touareg's alarm will sound if someone disconnects your boat or trailer from the vehicle when it is locked and armed. Yes, some have had a problem with their trailer's LED lights, but many have not. And the problem they have is often just that there is a warning light on the dash saying a bulb is out, the led lights still work just fine. And there are resistors to put in place that satisfy warning light issue, if there's an issue at all.
Whichever way you chose to go, I'll be happy to help if I can, and so will everyone else here.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow, thanks for the feedback. Good to know about the benefits of the OEM.

Is this place you got it local or can I search online? I don't think I have anything like that locally. I would definitely consider OEM for that price range even if its used.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I looked around online and went crazy posting requests to different salvage yards both locally and elsewhere and have had no luck finding anything. So I got to say that I think you had some luck with that one. If anyone knows how to get another used one message me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I did a bit more research on my touareg and it has this thing installed in the back (image shown). I think this is the towing module and it just came with it. Does this mean I just need to get the wiring that runs back to the plug at the hitch and that's it? If that is the case, do I need to do anything else vagcom/computer related???

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with VW OEM parts and installed them myself. On my 2012 VR6 I added VW 7P0803881 hitch and VW 7P1055203 tow wiring. I know that the wiring will be 100% compatible with the car's CANBUS, and in fact it's better than that - the car will indicate that a trailer light is out. Total for the two parts on eBay was $800. Both are easy to install.

You'll also need to code the gateway for towing, and possibly change a value in block 69 to tell the car it's towing in N. America and not Europe.
I did not use OEM bolts, but qualified M12-1.5 x 90mm Class 8.8 from McMaster-Carr myself. (Fastenall has class 10.9 - "high strength".)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts