Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought my Touareg in Mexico and I think it is a great vehicle after owning many Jeeps the last 20 years! I thought the fuel tank was 100 litres. I've filled twice now from almost zero on the fuel gauge and can only fill 75 litres. Either the tank is smaller in Mexico (not likely I think) or the gauge is not reading properly. I don't want to run the tank to empty but is there some other way to confirm the tank capacity?

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Go to this thread. Read up.

Some models had a 85L tank and some had a 100L tank.

Didn't the T3 have an 85 litre tank unless you had the Escape model with the 100 litre tank?

·
Registered
753 Posts
85 litres was certainly the standard tank size for diesels.

As above I believe the 100 litre tank was only fitted to the Escape model which had a hi-lo box, or where a diesel powered preheater was installed.

From.the sound of things you also have an 85 litre tank in your gasser.

·
Registered
2011 Touareg VR6 FSI
670 Posts
My '11 gasser has a 26 gallon (100 liter) tank. I know this because I had filled up when only half full once and it took 13 gallons. Mine is a LUX model. What's an Escape model?

·
Registered
753 Posts
As above, the Escape, denied to the US, has a hi-lo transmission as per the Generation 1 cars.

According to Ultimatespecs the Generation 2 3.6 FSI was sold in the US with a tank size of 85 litres, or 22.5 US gallons, as was the Tdi.

According to Carfolio it was sold in the US with a tank size of 100 litres, or 26.4 US gallons - as was the Tdi.

Take your pick!

Or check the build sheets.

But don't try running out of fuel to check the tank size if you have a Tdi!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it looks like it is an 85 litre tank in my V6 FSI and that would be consistent with the owners manual having now found the page about the fuel tanks. However the chart does imply that the 100 litre tank was an option. The chart in the manual also confirms that the models with the locking differential and/or the 'independant' heater came standard with 100 litre tanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts