Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

Just taking delivery of a new to me 2013 Touareg TDI with KESSY. Did the deal over the internet with a Ford Dealer 3000+ kms away from me....long story....

So I'm taking delivery of the vehicle tomorrow and I know that it only has one FOB. Have connected with 2 dealers, some resellers of genuine used Touareg keys (not the non-OEM eBay ones) and am getting conflicting reports. My question is, can I purchase a used, OEM key from a reseller with the same part number and FCC ID number, take it to the dealer, and get them to reprogram both keys for my Tree? I believe I do need to order a new emergency key from the dealer to match my VIN as my understanding is that it needs to be cut specific to my VIN or there would be immobilizer issues if I needed to use it. Or am I at the mercy of paying full price for FOB itself from the dealer.

Can't seem to get a straight answer from 2 different dealerships and their service managers, so reaching out to the clubtouareg community!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Just go to your local dealer and get them to order and programme a new key fob and pay the money.

Don't risk running a Touareg with only one key . . .

·
Registered
48 Posts
It's not too bad. The transmitter is only about $160-180 and the key is a separate (optional) part for around $60. I just picked mine up today and I didn't get the key portion. The only issue with that is the key chain connector is part of the key. I'm getting mine programmed in the morning for $150, which includes programming a second key for our wagon. You can link each transmitter to each custom setting, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not too bad. The transmitter is only about $160-180 and the key is a separate (optional) part for around $60. I just picked mine up today and I didn't get the key portion. The only issue with that is the key chain connector is part of the key. I'm getting mine programmed in the morning for $150, which includes programming a second key for our wagon. You can link each transmitter to each custom setting, too.
I am a little ahead on the vehicle based on what I paid for it, so it's not too bad. Was just hoping to save a few $ if it didn't cost me too much time in the process. Have to say that the 3 dealers within a short drive from me do not install a great deal of confidence when it comes to Touareg details though. Not only do they have different ideas about whether or not they can reprogram the a used key, their prices for new are all over the place.

Glad there are some knowledgeable independents mechanics near that can work on this vehicle if it's something beyond my capacity.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I hear you. Definitely want to get this sorted ASAP!

LOL!

I got locked out accidentally whilst I was helping an elderly passenger out of the car [I think she pressed the lock button on the open pax door as she alighted] with my one and only key in the ignition, engine running, wipers on, headlights on, mobile on the dashboard, car blocking the road, pissing with rain, Christmas Eve . . .

Luckily for me someone lent me their 'phone and, by chance, a van from my rescue service was passing two miles away so I was back inside my car after the guy eased the driver's door window frame with a small balloon and used a long steel rod to operate the electric window switch so I could reach in and pull on the interior door handle twice to unlock and open it in less time than it's taken me to type this post!!

Distances are somewhat greater in the US than the UK as I recall one member on here who had to wait two days for his spare key to catch up with him so he could get into his car having locked himself out with the keys in the trunk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you. Definitely want to get this sorted ASAP!

LOL!

I got locked out accidentally whilst I was helping an elderly passenger out of the car [I think she pressed the lock button on the open pax door as she alighted] with my one and only key in the ignition, engine running, wipers on, headlights on, mobile on the dashboard, car blocking the road, pissing with rain, Christmas Eve . . .

Luckily for me someone lent me their 'phone and, by chance, a van from my rescue service was passing two miles away so I was back inside my car after the guy eased the driver's door window frame with a small balloon and used a long steel rod to operate the electric window switch so I could reach in and pull on the interior door handle twice to unlock and open it in less time than it's taken me to type this post!!

Distances are somewhat greater in the US than the UK as I recall one member on here who had to wait two days for his spare key to catch up with him so he could get into his car having locked himself out with the keys in the trunk.
😂 If that happened to me, I’d likely be looking to replace a passenger door window as well as need a second FOB!!! If

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am a little ahead on the vehicle based on what I paid for it, so it's not too bad. Was just hoping to save a few $ if it didn't cost me too much time in the process. Have to say that the 3 dealers within a short drive from me do not install a great deal of confidence when it comes to Touareg details though. Not only do they have different ideas about whether or not they can reprogram the a used key, their prices for new are all over the place.

Glad there are some knowledgeable independents mechanics near that can work on this vehicle if it's something beyond my capacity.
How is your search going?

I realized I didn't respond to your concern over a used key. Most dealers are not going to engage with a used or 3rd party key. Neither are officially supported so it's not surprising they are telling you they don't know if it will work. My experience is that dealers will simply flat out refuse to deal with any 3rd party key (including 2nd hand keys in this category, as in, any key not bought at the dealership is going to be considered 3rd party) so you're already further along than all stories I've read and personally experienced with them even talking about it.

I don't know anything about your Touaregs' immo version. On all other TDIs the immo was a one and done event. On my MK4 it's a little bead in the transmitter that permanently mates to the immo. One can actually move the bead around from transmitter to transmitter (not by design, but hacked apart and put back together style). On my MK6 and MK7 the keys require programming with VW in Germany. My understanding is that the tech hooks everything up and then the motherland takes over. But there are different things that need to be coded. Locking/unlocking can be programmed personally via VCDS, but that won't make your vehicle drivable. That's what the immo pairing accomplishes. If you simply want a spare to lock/unlock the vehicle, program that key via VCDS (or ask them to do it when you bring the car in for programming). You'll need a new fob if you want a key that can start and allow someone to drive the vehicle. This is assuming that used key was paired to a different car. You do need all keys you want programmed present at the dealer at the same time. You can't program one and then come back and program another one later (you can, but you have to do the first one again and you'll be paying for the same service again). So you definitely don't want them to code that used key, then have them tell you it can't pair to immo, and then come back at some later date and pay for the whole shebang all over again (and if you do that, don't leave the used key at home or it'll be left out of the new coding process). When they pair any key, it wipes all keys in memory.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did find a dealer that was willing to give it a shot, but with no guarantees that everything would work out. Too much hassle, so I ended up getting a discount from the one dealer and everything is scheduled to get done next week!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did find a dealer that was willing to give it a shot, but with no guarantees that everything would work out. Too much hassle, so I ended up getting a discount from the one dealer and everything is scheduled to get done next week!
Great! What did you decide to do? Just ended up buy a new 2nd key?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah, that was my conclusion, too. If you already have that 2nd hand key you were referring to earlier I suggest bringing it along with the two main keys and asking for the transmitter to be programmed to your vehicle for a spare you can leave in your house. The key won't work and it won't start the vehicle, but they should be able to add it in to your central programming so you can lock/unlock the doors in case of an emergency and it shouldn't take any more time or money to do that along with the rest of the programming they are already doing. If you have access to VCDS you might be able to add it in yourself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't pull the trigger on the second hand key. Will just end up with the original and a new one from the dealer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts