Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:(For anyone trying to decide on a Touareg TDI. Here is our 11 month experience putting on 25K drives thru 9 States and 4 Provinces. We loved the vehicle and the all that it has to offer but have not been able to drive it for about 1 month of the first 11 so far because of these failures. We test drove 8-9 SUV's before deciding on the Touareg but may have made a mistake and here is why.....

1 Alternator failure had to be replace it
2 Starter failure had to be towed then replaced after long wait for Parts from Germany
3. Oil Pan leak which had to have engine pulled to repair
4. Manifold Head Gasket leak
5. EGR replaced due to leak
Also one remote had to be replace when the dealer left it on the hood and we drove off after servicing to find it missing after a 30 mile drive.

We are currently again without our Treg because its in the shop for more warranty work. I am in early correspondence with the Head Office and sure do not plan on keeping this one beyond the Warranty coverage. I'd unload it now if I could

I have owned a dozen vehicles in 40 years and never had this much trouble with what is actually the most expensive of the bunch. The irony is that when it is running we love it but its sure been a negative experience and we sure wish the best of luck on everyone else because its no fun having issues like this......

·
Registered
274 Posts
Wow sorry to hear that with your Touareg.
I purchased mine used in Feb. I had the Adblue problem happen with mine but luckily it was under warranty coverage. It took a little time for them to fix it (2 time it went back on that one on a vent hose that wore through and triggered a code).

Mine currently has 62K on it and is running great. I guess it all depends there are lemons in the bunch, but a descent dealer make the world of difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, sorry about your troubles. We bought our 2014 TDI new the beginning of February, 2014. We have driven it 15,500 kms, towing a 5000 pound travel trailer for 13,000 of those kms. From Ontario Canada to San Diego, California and back. It has performed beyond my expectations in power, comfort, fuel mileage and reliability.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments. I hope you have continued luck. My Starter and Alternator went at 25K and the latest engine problems at 33K. The latest on my repair is there is a list of parts (4 pgs) totalling $3000 and 50 hours of work at shop rate in Alberta of $125/hr so its looking like it could be a ten grand repair. It all started with an innocent oil change when I was told there was a small oil leak that I was unaware of.....
We have a 3500 lb RV trailer that we had hoped to use after purchase but so far have only pulled it 200 kms. I want to use it as it seems like the perfect combination for what we have and had hoped to pull it across North America but this setback sure has us worried. Glad to hear yours is a good one and you like it for towing. I know this probably has people wondering about the dealership I am going to but I have been to two different VW ones through this and they seem very good other than the time it takes for these big jobs and the unavailability of parts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes, I used the weight distribution hitch, Reese Type, and a friction type anti-sway device. Installed the hard wired Prodigy P-3 brake controller and the 7 pin plug myself. My trailer has LED tail lights and I had no problems getting things to work, thanks to all the great information on this forum.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
You've got a lemon. No sure how it is in Canada but in US you'd have some options. Call VW corporate and see if they can replace it for you. I was in a similar situation in 2002. I bought a 2001 Audi allroad that gave me nothing but problems (one after another) till I finally lemoned it. After I got my check I bought a 2003 allroad which gave me zero problems in four years of ownership.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Mokotoks,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

So far after more than 22,000 km, I'm very satisfied with mine. No trouble at all.

I'm back from a 8,200 km trip from Montreal to Florida pulling my 3,600 lbs travel trailer (80% of the ride with the TT behind). The Treg pull like a dream and the fuel economy is outstanding. I average 13,5 L/100 for the whole trip driving at 104-106 km/h on highways even going up hills. Most of my solo driving was city driving (restaurents, food market etc.)

I do use a weight distribution hitch (Eaz-Lift) with 800 lbs spring bars and a standard sway control friction sway bar. The tongue weight of my TT is closed to 650 lbs.

I like the L shape of the springs bars because they flex on the load and don't put too much mechanical stress on the VW oem receiver. I would not use an Equal-I-Zer brand WDH because the bars (square) are really too stiff. Just make sure that your WDH is very well tuned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've got a lemon. No sure how it is in Canada but in US you'd have some options. Call VW corporate and see if they can replace it for you. I was in a similar situation in 2002. I bought a 2001 Audi allroad that gave me nothing but problems (one after another) till I finally lemoned it. After I got my check I bought a 2003 allroad which gave me zero problems in four years of ownership.
We actually like ours enough we would trade it in on another if we did not take too much of a beating on the differential. From what I have read the USA is ahead of Canada on having Lemon laws to protect the consumer thanx to Ralph Nader and others. We have an arbitration system(CAMVAP) that can sometimes work but if the Manufacturer keeps repairing under warranty I don't think I quite qualify. I am investigating and have approached the VW corporate dept but am not holding my breath. We are estimating that by the time we are done in the first 12 months there will have been more than $13,000 in repairs. As shocked as we are at that we are more bugged in the lack of use of "our" vehicle and the long periods it takes to repair it. We are always given a loaner but its never the same equipped vehicle with our tunes and waypoints etc. Glad to hear your 2nd one has been a good experience as it gives us some hope that there are some that are reliable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Mokotoks,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

So far after more than 22,000 km, I'm very satisfied with mine. No trouble at all.

I'm back from a 8,200 km trip from Montreal to Florida pulling my 3,600 lbs travel trailer (80% of the ride with the TT behind). The Treg pull like a dream and the fuel economy is outstanding. I average 13,5 L/100 for the whole trip driving at 104-106 km/h on highways even going up hills. Most of my solo driving was city driving (restaurents, food market etc.)

I do use a weight distribution hitch (Eaz-Lift) with 800 lbs spring bars and a standard sway control friction sway bar. The tongue weight of my TT is closed to 650 lbs.

I like the L shape of the springs bars because they flex on the load and don't put too much mechanical stress on the VW oem receiver. I would not use an Equal-I-Zer brand WDH because the bars (square) are really too stiff. Just make sure that your WDH is very well tuned.

Hey Claude thanks for the reply and Photo. My wife and I are newbies to RVing and have a 19ft FunFinder that we have not used yet other than to pull from dealer to storage lot. I have read a lot about tongue weights and was a little worried about what ours will be. Knowing yours is 650 helps as its quite close to the max rating on the hitch 670. We chose an Anderson Hitch which is extremely quite and easy to use. Its supposed to be very good at anti sway and party for WD. Our dry weight is 3450 and tongue with the battery two propane tanks is about 450. We are just now starting to load it up and I think so long as we never fill the holding tank with water we will be fine. Re : Actual towing ... Do you use Sport mode at all or the gears in manual when on hills? Did you find any add on mirrors that you liked ( Cant quite see what you have in the photo)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Mokotoks,

I talked to a Treg owner in Florida who tow a Lance TT (+/- 23') with an Anderson hitch and was very happy with it. It is an integrated WDH and sway control system.

Driving in hills, I did use both auto and sport mode for the tranny. Depends on hills grade. I do not use cruise control in hills especially with the TT behind. Sometimes i climb in 7th gear and sometimes in 6th. You will find your ''comfort zone''.

My tow mirrors are Milenco. Howerver, i did cut the tube lenght by about 3'' and I mount them on the botom of the Treg mirrors.

Here is an easy method to mesure your tongue weight. As I said, mine is +/- 650 lbs loaded.

Tongue Weight Scale

You can expect a loaded weight of 4,500 lbs when loaded with a tongue weight close to 550-600 lbs with all your stuff in the TT. It's add up real fast, believe me... ;-) Plus all you will add with the time (I start camping back in 1967 and got my first TT in 2003).

And I also drive with all water tanks empty all the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts