Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum from Washington US. I tried searching for my problem, admittedly not too much, and couldn't find an answer. I've owned my 2013 Touareg TDI since new. Always serviced at the dealership but after the last service cost I couldn't justify the high price of an oil change. I may be regretting that now.

So I made sure to order the proper oil from Blauparts and bought the kit that came with 9 liters of Ravenol 5w-30, a filter and a drain plug with crushwasher. Everything went smoothly until I checked the oil level through the infotainment. The oil level read overfull and the caption read "Please lower oil level". Ok, I drain some oil out. It continues to read overfull with the same caption. I drain even more oil out and the same thing. I'm sure it's low on oil now as I've probably drained 4 liters and it continues to read overfull.

I've followed all the instructions. Tested with the engine at operating temperature and on level ground after Waiting for the oil to drain back into the pain. I've even tried it when it has been sitting overnight and cold. It continues to read overfull and "please reduce oil level.

So.....what have I done wrong? Could adding 9 liters of oil break the oil level sensor? What am I missing?

Thanks for any help

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
So.....what have I done wrong? Could adding 9 liters of oil break the oil level sensor? What am I missing?
No, but you could possibly "disturbed" the wiring of the level sensor, or the level sensor itself, at the bottom of the pan. Especially if you didn't lift up your car, or you cleaned the bottom of the pan afterwards with brake fluid and/or a rag.

There's also a faint chance that your oil was previously changed not by the drain method, but extracted through the oil feed line, which might have left a lot of gunk collecting at the bottom of the pan or in some other pockets of the engine, which again, was now possibly disturbed by the classic drain method, and shifting it somehow blocked the sensor from working properly.

Or it's all just a coincidence, and you level sensor just stopped working. It happens quite frequently.

Did you try to read the fault codes with a VAG-COM scanner? Do you have any? Did you open the bonnet to force the ECU to recheck the oil level immediately? What's your exact engine code?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Gnits and thanks for the feedback. Right after I reset the change interval in the infotainment, I had a check engine code for a module not being read (I can't remember what it was and it cleared on it's own). I didn't use any cleaning products during the oil change other than a rag and I didn't touch any wires.
How do I force the ECU to recheck the oil level? I didn't do that.

·
Banned
R5 (2008)
1,159 Posts
As said, lifting the bonnet (hood) will force the ECU to immediately clear the warning and re-check the oil level, because it assumes that you filled in (or extracted) some oil. Of course if the level sensor will still report too high oil level, then the error message will not actually go away. If it still doesn't, inspect the oil level sensor and its connector for possible corrosion or contamination (like oil), and try reseating the latter, just to make sure that you have a proper an undisturbed electric contact.

Also, are you sure your battery voltage is okay? Low voltage can cause all sorts of sensor problems.

·
Registered
863 Posts
What is the oil level indicator level in the Media Unit? CAR button, service. It should show the level it's reading out at. The entire range is about one full quart. Each little oil indicator scale segment is about 4 ounces.

If it was totally drained, it only takes 8 quarts to fill. I also have a 2013 TDI, have been doing my own fluid changes last couple years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As said, lifting the bonnet (hood) will force the ECU to immediately clear the warning and re-check the oil level, because it assumes that you filled in (or extracted) some oil. Of course if the level sensor will still report too high oil level, then the error message will not actually go away. If it still doesn't, inspect the oil level sensor and its connector for possible corrosion or contamination (like oil), and try reseating the latter, just to make sure that you have a proper an undisturbed electric contact.

Also, are you sure your battery voltage is okay? Low voltage can cause all sorts of sensor problems.

WOW! So after I lifted the hood and warmed up the engine it finally showed the oil level, which now is too low. So I guess my mistake was not raising the hood after closing the hood after changing the oil.
Is that step somewhere in the owner's manual that I didn't read?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Mine always warns that the engine must be warmed up, engine running for 2 minutes, then the oil level will be available.

Sometimes I can see it when running, other times I get the warning. Oh well.

I usually turn the key without starting, then check the oil level after an oil change. I only put 7 qts back in at first, then creep up on it. The oil takes a minute to run down into the pan before being seen my the sensor with the engine off.

Always end up at 8 quarts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine always warns that the engine must be warmed up, engine running for 2 minutes, then the oil level will be available.
Mine gave me that warning also. I followed the instructions. What I failed to do, it appears, is open and close the hood after changing the oil and checking the level.

I changed the oil and filter, closed the hood, backed off the ramps and then checked the level. I got the engine must be warm notice. I then warmed the engine, shut it off, let it sit for 2+ minutes and then I got the "please lower oil level" warning. I never opened the hood again until today.

So it appears that I needed to open and close the hood after I started the engine. I'm really at a lost for words with this vehicle. No dipstick, crazy resets to get an accurate level indication.... at least now I know the procedure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts