Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed oil on my driveway under the Treg. First thing I did was make sure it wasn't coming from the '02 Golf, it's not. Opened the hood and found oil had been flung by the drive belts onto the US driver's side of the engine bay. I'll be taking this in to the dealer as I believe it should be covered under the emissions warranty. They'll do the Adblue heater recall at the same time.

Oil level on my 2010 never moved. I never had to add even a milliliter of oil to it between changes. My 2013 was good until about 1 month ago. I had to add just over a liter.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Agree.... should be covered.
My 2014 shows fluctuating oil levels too..... I've only had it for a little over 9k now so I'm watching it to see how much it drinks by the 15k oil interval.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Pg 11 - https://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_3L_SubGen1_Final.pdf

"Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine
sub-assembly that consists of the assembled block, crankshaft, cylinder
head, camshaft, and valve train."

You should be covered. They could pull a "pre-existing fault denial" on you, but hopefully you have a good service manager that wants your business. I just had mine updated and I had a #2 glow plug that they replaced.

·
Registered
122 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find this statement interesting on page 10:

- The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected by the OBD system

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I find this statement interesting on page 10:

- The On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) system, any malfunctions detected by the OBD system
Depending on how much time and money one had available, one could therefore argue that any CEL would be covered under the warranty.

Oh look, I have a burnt out fog light. It comes up on the OBD scan/system.

Oh look, my wheel sensor has gone bad. It also come up on OBD system.

But I suspect they would fight it until said person ran out for resources.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I dropped off the Treg this morning. They had no record of my appointment. I played back the voicemail from the dealer reminding me of my appointment. Guess there's something wrong with their system. Of course the first thing the service advisor said was that oil leaks are not covered under warranty. The emissions warranty only covers the EGR and Adblue system. I said no it covers the ENTIRE ENGINE. He said they'll be in touch when they diagnose.

I hate the dealer games!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I hate the dealer games!
You need to waste a lot of time arguing with them.... I had to do this for my 2L TDI to get the fix.... they wanted to charge me diagnostic fees even though I scanned the car in the lot before walking into the dealership to ensure that the CEL was a result of the emission related components.... they still insisted on me paying for a scan... so I agreed, and I told them they would reimburse me for it unless they can show me scan results with a different fault as I have proof of the scan when I dropped the vehicle off.....

It ended up being a no-charge diagnostic, as I was correct......

They just give people a hard time so that they can double dip.... VW pays them for the warranty and they rape customers on top of it too because people either don't have the technical knowledge, or required tools to argue with them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I marched into my dealer thinking I had a sure free fix for the oil spot in my driveway. SURPRISE steering rack was leaking, they don't repair the rack they replace it. That was a bad 2 weeks.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pretty sure this is engine oil. It's black and I've added more than a liter in the past 3 weeks. No sound from the rack that I can discern. I hate to think how much that must have cost!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer phoned yesterday to let me know the leak is coming from an EGR seal. They are covering it under warranty. It's supposed to be done today. I sure hope so as yesterday I had to drive a RWD Chevy pick-em-up during a snow storm here. It sucked donkey balls!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm at just over 127000km.

My 2010 went back to VW at over 170000km and it never leaked a drop of oil!

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I still do not have my car back. They had to order more seals from the US. Might be another 2 days. At least I have a loaner now.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I'd hate to see how long they take to fix something significant if this is how long it takes for such a small (IMO) fix.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, they did the Adblue heater recall too. But yeah, way too long. Thank God the weather is nice. I hate being without my Treg in adverse conditions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts