Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 TDI Sport. On Friday it was working fine. On Saturday morning I went out to go to the store and....nothing. The FOB wouldn't work. The plastic emergency key wouldn't work. I call AAA and they are able to open the door manually (with a tool) by pulling the inside door handle. We pop the hood, jump it and in 5 minutes it is running.

Took it directly to the dealer to find out what happened. The dealer tells me it was simply a dead battery. $500 and a couple hours later I have the vehicle back.

OK, the battery is 3.5 years old, which is wearing out early, but not out of the questions. However, to go from fine hours before, to completely dead - and can't even open the door is alarming. From a design perspective and is there something else wrong perspective.

Anyone else have this type of problem?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
The fact that the key did not work is annoying. I have not kept up past the 2010, but the older remotes had a emergency metal key and you got one plastic valet key. One thing that I have noticed is that you need to test your key at least once a year. We only have one key lock on the drivers door, and (at least on my car) it gets sticky. I try to test it at least once to twice a year. It usually needs some graphite key lube to get it to work smoothly. If you do not do this for 2 or 3 years, I can see sticking in a key and not really being able to turn it.

It could be as simple as a dead battery. Batteries give you a signal about 80% of the time before they die. You might be in that 20% where the battery just went dead. It could also just be a one time fluke that some module did not shut down and drained the battery. It could also be that something is draining the battery. I would put your odds at 70%/20%/10% in the order presented.

So, buy some key lube. Lube up and test that lock. Keep a eye on that battery for the next couple of months. If you have no further issues, just move on. If something else happens, come back and we will try to help.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah - it is odd your key doesn't work. My 2013 manual key works fine in my Treg. My wife's A4 emergency key worked fine to unlock the car when the motor / actuator in the driver's door lock failed and it had never been used in 7 years.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I have a 2013 TDI Sport. On Friday it was working fine. On Saturday morning I went out to go to the store and....nothing. The FOB wouldn't work. The plastic emergency key wouldn't work. I call AAA and they are able to open the door manually (with a tool) by pulling the inside door handle. We pop the hood, jump it and in 5 minutes it is running.

Took it directly to the dealer to find out what happened. The dealer tells me it was simply a dead battery. $500 and a couple hours later I have the vehicle back.

OK, the battery is 3.5 years old, which is wearing out early, but not out of the questions. However, to go from fine hours before, to completely dead - and can't even open the door is alarming. From a design perspective and is there something else wrong perspective.

Anyone else have this type of problem?

A new battery should not have cost you more than 200 bucks or so.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
^^ USA VW dealer prices nooby. 300 for the battery with install, 200 for the diagnostics (my guess).

·
Registered
242 Posts
^^ USA VW dealer prices nooby. 300 for the battery with install, 200 for the diagnostics (my guess).
I think my 2006 (pretty sure it was the 2006 and not the 2012) had a battery die and if I remember right they quoted $220 for the battery. I went ahead and paid it since they were doing some other warranty work and did not charge me for the labor. If I remember right the seat has to be removed or tilted up or something and for me the $220 for battery and basically the install was worth it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Digging up an old thread but if the battery is completely flat, inserting the key to unlock does nothing. So is mobile locksmith the only way once at this stage?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Yes. Or break a window.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a2014 Touareg TDI that had a battery replacement within 4 months of being purchase. Second battery lasted less than 6 months. Third is still going strong 3 years latter. Dealer never did determine what happened and we checked all kinds of things including how close the keys were kept to the truck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It happened with me, my key fob battery was dead and I couldn't turn the plastic key inside the key lock!

I had to leave the car replace key fob's battery, return to the car and open it using remote keyless system.

Any suggestion to fix the key lock?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I had my battery go dead in one day, worked fine, next AM got in to go on a long trip clicking only and some squiggles on the MFD. Jumped it and 2 hrs latter was on my way less 375 bucks . Glad it happened with my dealer close and not on the road in timbuk tu. Pity is I'm set to turn the car in soon. TREG is a 2012.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts