Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I'm here trying to get some feedback regarding a coolant leak on my 2013 TDI.

In about 2 1/2 months time, it went from full reservoir to low coolant light on. I took it in beginning of Sept. for the leak. The dealership tested it and said it needed a new water pump.

I let them go ahead with the pump install. Middle of November I get the low coolant light again. Same pattern..about 2 1/2 months from full to low warning light.

I took it to the same dealership last week to check it out again. They first told me it was the EGR system. I knew that would be warrantied under the additional warranty due to the fraud settlement and I told them so.

Advisor said he'd have to check with the warranty administrator. He finally got back with me and now says he misspoke. The problem is not the EGR system it's actually an oil cooler that's directly below the egr. He also told me the throttle body had to come off to find the leak. He says the throttle body is extremely dirty with carbon and soot and they are too delicate to clean...just letting me know as a heads up to me.

Due to my location going to any other dealership is a much, much longer drive and inconvenient ordeal...

Does what they are telling me sound plausible? I have to ask the question because they have done something in the past that really damaged the trust so to speak. I'd appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it to a different dealership for a second opinion. They said that my water pump needed to be changed...again. It was done at no cost to me so I let them go ahead. And no surprise, it didn't stop the leak. The dealer that put on the second water pump proposed some further repair in the area of the water pump. I don't even remember what it entailed except that they said it would be over $2000. I'm out of warranty so I walked away. I haven't pursued it further but I think it's probably this: https://www.clubtouareg.com/threads/2013-3-0-tdi-probable-egr-valve-coolant-leak.277066/page-3

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
What are the details on your car? Down in the states you guys have some really good powertrain warranty and if you're already past that 100k, the TDI fix extended will cover a lot of the other stuff.

You need to first identify where the leak is, so that you can either argue with them that it's covered, or at the very least know what you really have to pay for to get fixed.... when they give you one diagnosis and then come back with "I miss spoke" because it's covered under warranty, it sounds super shady.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I think I've got a leaking EGR cooler as I'm getting oil smell inside the vehicle. Is there any common place to look at it and see?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If you think it's the EGR cooler that's leaking, why don't you start by looking at the "EGR cooler" first?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Advisor said he'd have to check with the warranty administrator. He finally got back with me and now says he misspoke. The problem is not the EGR system it's actually an oil cooler that's directly below the egr. He also told me the throttle body had to come off to find the leak. He says the throttle body is extremely dirty with carbon and soot and they are too delicate to clean...just letting me know as a heads up to me.
:rolleyes::rolleyes: Too delicate? FFS, it's just a damn throttle body. If the EGR cooler is leaking, that's covered under the dieselgate warranty!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts