Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

My Egg is coming up on 40k. Did a search, it looks like it's just oil and replace some filters from what I can see.

Is that the case? Anyone know where I can find a guide for the different service intervals?

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
499 Posts
40k is not that big of a service. It's an oil change, fuel filter, cabin air filter, engine air filter and general inspection. Rest the service and inspection intervals with Vagcom and you're good to go. All the stuff can be bought on idparts.com for around $200.

·
Registered
210 Posts
the transmission fluid is EXPENSIVE. buy it yourself and bring it to the dealer, will save you some dough.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Going to give this a go.

One thing. I found this thread on replacing the Fuel Filter on a Touraeg, but, it looks like this might be pre-2013:

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f93/anyone-do-their-own-fuel-filter-yet-on-a-v6-tdi-66977.html

When I went to IDParts, the fuel filter they have listed for the 7P looks different.

Fuel Filter (Touareg 7P) - 7P6127177A - PU8007 - IDParts.com

Wondering if anyone has done a fuel filter in a 7P and if it's the same as in the older models. This is the one part of the 40k that's a bit worrisome to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I called StevensCreek VW on Friday and they wanted $583 for the 40k service. The parts are only $138 so goodness knows how they think $450 is reasonable for the labour...
Looks like I'll do this myself now that the car is out of warranty.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called StevensCreek VW on Friday and they wanted $583 for the 40k service. The parts are only $138 so goodness knows how they think $450 is reasonable for the labour...
Looks like I'll do this myself now that the car is out of warranty.
138.00? I paid 162.00 on IDParts. Where'd you find everything for that cheap?

·
Registered
845 Posts
My 40K service is about 400 miles away too. At 39,600 right now. I'll call the dealership this weekend and get a price. They did the first 3 included with the purchase of the Touareg, but now I think I'll be doing regular maintenance myself.

·
Registered
499 Posts
What's this I'm reading about a drain plug on the canister? My 2.0L TDI didn't have one.
I didn't see a drain, I think I read that on the v10 fuel filters not the v6. The fuel filter is a 5 minute job as long as you don't drop one of those tiny screws, trust me but don't try it.

Here is how I did it.

- wipe down filter housing with rag
- take out 5 screws
- open top of filter housing
- remove old filter unit and place in container
- slowly insert filter in housing with fuel still in it
- put cap back on and screws back in.
- run vcds transfer pump test, it will prime the system
- drink a beer or two knowing you just saved hundreds doing it yourself

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would it be ok to fill the filter reservoir with Power Service as opposed to gas once the filter is replaced?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Gas in a diesel? Eh?

·
Registered
61 Posts
If your not as lucky as PhilthyPhil with access to VCDS, topping off the fuel in the filter canister using a funnel that has a micro filter will do the trick like the transfer pump test. I just changed the filter on our 2015 last week at 16,500 miles and it was black - never seen one as dirty. Could have been the discoloration of the element fibers; I didn't take the time to view it through magnifying glasses - but I'll change the fuel filter on a more regular basis than required.

I would not use straight additive rather than fuel - years ago, I ruined an injector pump on a truck doing that exact same thing! Stick with diesel fuel

·
Registered
61 Posts
What prompted you to change the fuel filter before 20K?
After servicing our 2011 Touareg which I found ran much better when I changed the fuel filter every 10,000 miles (over the last 42,000 of the 78,000 miles that we owned it) - I actually got lazy and had waited until now. There had been a oil consumption issue with the 2015 which had pushed the oil change interval back with multiple oil changes in the first 10,000 miles by a dealership to try to resolve that issue. So, when changing oil, oil and air filters - I finally got to the fuel filter - will replace the cabin filter this week, do a brake fluid flush, and top off front and rear differentials and transfer case.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would not use straight additive rather than fuel - years ago, I ruined an injector pump on a truck doing that exact same thing! Stick with diesel fuel
Not so much. Most additives use diesel / bio-diesel as their "filler". A significant portion of the bottle is just this. VW dealers customarily use a bottle of Stanadyne to pre fill.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just took my 2014 TDI Touareg into VW for the 40k service. They estimated about $450. Seems high to replace oil, and 3 filters and rotate tires but it looks like others are paying this much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts