Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a 2013 and while it shows I have a completely empty HD, I can't get anything to save to it. Tried going from iPhone, iPod and CD. Also tried dealer and they don't have answer yet.

Manual says to press the "Import" button (pg 228/fig 150). Problem is that even the figure they reference doesn't show an "Import" option. There is a "Copy" button which I assume they mean. Problem is that it isn't a selectable option.

It is a Lux. Saw one post that said it had to be and Exec model to download. If so, I again have to ask what the heck is the HD for then?! And why did they tell me I could download music?

Please help!

· Registered
53 Posts
I remember the manual stating that all music types might not be supported for import into the hard drive (copy-right protected, etc). There are ways to convert some protected (iTunes purchased) into formats that can allow some more flexibility. You could convert some of your library, burn it to cd, DVD, or better yet onto a SD card and then copy to the Treg HDD.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
Copy from SD card was best for me.

A quick way to get most of it working in mp3 format with little pain (most of my aac was not playing):
Make one big transfer playlist of songs you want transferred in iTunes.
Sort playlist by kind.
Select all AAC type files, right click and Create MP3 Version (CD import must be set to MP3 in settings)
Once done converting, copy all AAC from this to a backup playlist then delete them from the transfer playlist (so you know what you transferred in the future).
Go to all Music in Itunes, sort by Date added. All the MP3 should be the most recent.
Select them and add back to the to the transfer playlist.
Insert SD card and open in a file explorer.
Select all songs in the transfer playlist and drag them to the SD card. This will copy all the MP3 files to the SD card.
Go back to iTunes all Music and delete all the MP3 files you just created so that there are no duplicates building up in iTunes.

Put the SD card in the Touareg and COPY. I think I remember reading something about it only copying when the car is running...

· Registered
19 Posts
Jmarc,

The only type of CD that can be used to transfer music is a CDR-CDRW that holds burned music, not an original CD from the singer/artist. It has to be a CD with music that has been copied/burned onto it in an acceptable format..such as MP3.

The better way to transfer music, however, is to copy all your music to an SD Card (it holds much more music than a typical CDR-CDRW).

Once the SD Card (or CD) is in the slot...then click on Media...then click on either SD Card or CD-Player...then click on Extra....then click on Copy.... (Wait for system to prepare HDD for copying)...then click thru the system to find whichever Artists or Albums you wish to copy to HDD by checking whichever boxes you want copied...

....then press COPY button on top right-hand corner of screen.

Then wait, as it could take some time to copy the music.

Art

· Registered
29 Posts
Enabling the record function through VAG-COM is the easiest way, but since I don't have one or a laptop computer, I converted my music in iTunes from AAC to mp3. It takes some time, but is pretty easy. The downside is that you have your iTunes music library in two formats. I have a lot of hard drive space on my home computer, so it is not a big issue to me.

The car software recognizes the mp3 format for burning to the HDD. The good news is that the HDD computer runs pretty fast-- a lot faster than the Sync system in my other car. If you fill the disc with mp3 music (about 5-6 albums per disc), it takes about 20 minutes to burn that to the hard drive. My Sync system takes that long to burn one CD.

The VW system runs in the background so that it picks up where it left off if you stop the car in the middle of recording.

I don't know why VW makes this so complicated! #-o

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys, I have another question on this subject. Once you get your music on the HDD, how do you delete it? I want to change the music on my hard drive and delete an album I doubled up on.

· Registered
1,276 Posts
Hi guys, I have another question on this subject. Once you get your music on the HDD, how do you delete it? I want to change the music on my hard drive and delete an album I doubled up on.
This is a good question as I just copied about 6.4GB from a 16GB Class10 SD card to the HD of the Treg and never thought or came across a screen/prompt/menu option to delete any of the songs I put in.

It was easy copying the music into the HDD though, it just took a while.

No more keeping the iPod classic I had in the Treg as every now and then the "Mix" function would change and going into the iPod through the Media-center was not all that much fun-having to go through all the screens so I could have a totally random mix of all my songs.

Plus, when I read that the sound quality was/is better from either the SD card or the HDD, that is what did me in, plus, my iPod is just about strictly for the boat or if we take the wife's truck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.