Club Touareg Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
I don't want to be pessimistic but seems like this gtg might not happen this year. We used up a lot of PTO during the pregnancy so we're just doing little 2-3 day weekend based trips.

Anyway, we're going to be tent camping at Mueller State Park first weekend of June. Family is going to hang there while I hike up Pikes via the Crags route. I'm probably going to look for a climbing buddy on 14ers.com but wanted to extend the invite to folks here too.

I'm not in marathoner shape but I can walk up Pikes via Crags. :) I stop when I have to and put one foot in front of the other the rest of the time. It's really important for me to complete this in honor of my dad so I plan on starting around 3am to keep late afternoon storms from causing problems. Lightning and weather can stop me but not much else I hope. :) I carry enough to survive a night on the mountain just in case. A few space blankets for shelter, paracord, water filter, hand warmers, etc... Might carry the little stove for some coffee half way up this time. :) It's only weight right? :)

There's a variety of green, blue and red trails within 50 miles of the campground for those who don't want to hike. I would expect fire and burn bans pretty much everywhere at that time. If you don't like outside stuff, Cripple Creek is only a few miles away and they have gambling and such.

LMK if anyone is interested. Mods: please let me know if this should be in another thread.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
That's a compliment, brutal honesty about thrashing new untested T3 equipment only rated "Touareg Lite" is a plus. . . . . .
I'm sure you understand that as moderators we get bashed quite often, so it can be hard to read between the lines.

As for an 'Official' Rally, I don't think there will be any plans for this year. I don't mean to discourage people from visiting the beautiful Ouray, Telluride and Silverton areas on their own. I DO worry about the T3 and how it will perform on the trail for the way that we run it. We have scared off plenty of T1 and T2 owners in the first few hours. The trails are NOT for the light of heart or vehicle.

I will be in the Colorado area in the later part of the summer and may organize a trail run or two in the Front Range area, probably above Central City and St. Mary's/Kingston Peak areas.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I'm sure you understand that as moderators we get bashed quite often, so it can be hard to read between the lines.

As for an 'Official' Rally, I don't think there will be any plans for this year. I don't mean to discourage people from visiting the beautiful Ouray, Telluride and Silverton areas on their own. I DO worry about the T3 and how it will perform on the trail for the way that we run it. We have scared off plenty of T1 and T2 owners in the first few hours. The trails are NOT for the light of heart or vehicle.

I will be in the Colorado area in the later part of the summer and may organize a trail run or two in the Front Range area, probably above Central City and St. Mary's/Kingston Peak areas.
Let us know when you're here, aircooled. We might be limited to weekends by that time but would like to tag along if we can. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd be interested in these trail runs as well. I go up to Central City a lot as there are some great trails. I hit the small ones above the cemeteries all the time as they don't require much in the way of preparation and planning; if you got into "trouble" it would be a short walk to town.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I guess I can understand the difficulty of planning something like this, having tried (unsuccessfully) to plan something locally in NorCal. Oh well, maybe next year then.....

·
Registered
628 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I might be interested. DO you know what the route might be?

Thx

·
Registered
628 Posts
No idea about the route yet. We're just supposed to meet at the visitor center at the corner of HWY 50 and HWY 285 in Salida at 11am. From looking at their profiles on the 'tex I suspect they'll want to drive a bit faster in the twistys than I will. :) I averaged 120.004 for an hour in the 2001 Big Bend Open rally - nothing to prove to some youngsters on a public highway. ;) Public roads are no place for speeding.

If I had to bet, I'd put 25¢ on Independence Pass. :) If I wind up being/driving too slow we might go up Cottonwood Pass if the wife pulls a yellow card on Engineer Pass. Our youngest will be just 3 days shy of being cleared for 13K plus from her doc (she's not quite 6 months old yet) so the altitude should be ok. Wife likes Leadville so I do have a shot at taking Engineer Pass home. :)

To sum it up - we're keeping our options open for the day. If it seems like a bunch of fellas who are just trying to see who can run off the road first we'll pick a trail or something elsewhere in the area and go play. If they seem reasonable we'll go enjoy a ride with them. :)
If the colors are turning decently by then we might just go take pics of that all day too. :)

Hope you join us! Would be great to not be the only Touareg. :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
<snip> From looking at their profiles on the 'tex I suspect they'll want to drive a bit faster in the twistys than I will. :) <snip>
I shouldn't pre-judge people based on their profiles on the internet. Shame on me. :) I bet we're gonna have a great day in the Rockies!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Lol! The day started with a comedy (or two) of errors. We missed the meeting point by 15 minutes. :( Never worth rushing the wife at that time of morning. :)

We made the best of it though. Had a nice lunch in Salida then headed up Monarch Pass. Just past the ski area we found Old Monarch Pass. Kind of a regular boring 8x video of the downhill leg but here it is.

Almost 100% deserted - felt like we had the state to ourselves. Thought about taking Tincup Pass home but the 6-month old was really getting fussy and there was weather coming in too so we bailed and took the highway home. Saw lots of 1930's vintage cars going over the pass. Saw a tiny bit of snow at the summit.

Really enjoyed it overall. Certainly enough that we're going back to Salida this fall. Pretty neat little town. :)

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
X2!

Need my fix of CO mountain drivin... ;-)

·
Registered
179 Posts
The wife and I were just talking about missing the rallies. Heck, we'd go to CO if we weren't just only ones going (ie. mini-rally).

·
Super Moderator
9,357 Posts
Will someone please organize a 2014 Rally? I would love to attend one before the Touareg gets replaced.
I don't know if the original organizers are up to doing it anymore. It is a fun time, but it is also a difficult thing for them to get together. Plus I know the one main concern that was discussed was people showing up with the current gen Touaregs. While they may be fine on the first couple of days of easier trails the concern lies on the trails done later in the week. They get harder as the Rally goes on. I know some have posted videos and such about where they have been with their T3's, but you have to know the trails in CO to know what we are concerned about. We have had areas of difficulty even for air equipped vehicles let alone the T3 which sits a little lower and is softer sprung as well as having no low range. We want no one stuck on the trails nor do we want anyone incurring damage that does not allow them to safely drive their car back home. No, I am not one of those organizers, but I have been on a few of the Rallys and I know what the terrain is like and what they go through to organize it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I am sure safety is everyone's concern and you know the risks when you sign up for the rally.

Nothing wrong with being an observer or dividing into ability groups. I hope they are planning a Colorado event again in the near future.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Hi,

Of other factors regarding a Touareg Rally, many of us have other offroad vehicles these days - from Jeeps to Land Rovers to Blazer ZR2's. Many that still own their Touaregs, like me (still have my '09), are probably not going to stress them like we used to.

I do some offroad - spent two weeks in Colorado last year and did a few steep climbs around the Aspen/Crested Butte areas - but only in an effort to get to a photo location. I may be in the San Juans this late July - but only for American Basin and Yankee Boy wildflower shooting if at all. I am at 130k miles, fully out of warranty, almost done paying for mine, and hope to keep it for maybe a year or longer without a major repair. Unless I can find a T2 with air, ideally V8 and low miles, I will probably need to look for something else unless VW brings back the hard parts to the US Market.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
32 Participants
FSJ Guy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing