Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Not sure if that is a compliment or a dig at us. Either way, the concern is valid.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I took it as a thankful thought... You/organizers are concerned that the T3 may not be as capable on the tougher trails. I echo the thanks as I don't want to see my expensive (to me at least) vehicle severely damaged by attempting something I should not be doing. In my case, and I'm sure others too, I have zero off road experience. I can read and try to understand the process, but it doesn't mean anything until I put it into practice. I really need the guidance of the organizers to keep me and my Touareg safe.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If I remember right, one year someone joined the rally with Ram 4x4, how did it tackle the roads with its longer wheelbase and larger turning circle?

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
If I remember right, one year someone joined the rally with Ram 4x4, how did it tackle the roads with its longer wheelbase and larger turning circle?
That was Aircooled and he had an issue on one trail with switchbacks where he had to back down to get out. Mainly because his wheelbase was too long to make the sharp corners. They were a little of a challenge even for us in Treg..

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Ah yes, the year we didn't bring a Touareg to a Touareg Rally! I spent most of the trip doing ride alongs and helped with trail spotting. That was also the same year we got trapped in the mud slide/debris flow and had to walk off the mountain. We only did one trail with the group looking for some tram above Silverton. We decided discretion was the better part of valor and got off the trail once it started getting really tight. Instead, we turned around and headed up Stoney Pass, which was little more than a dirt road on the Silverton side.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Look into the earlier year threads. We had some Google Earth tracks. I may have a GPS log somewhere that I converted into the KML file for Google Earth.

·
Registered
179 Posts
TrailDamage.com I was reading on this page before, hope finally I can get there with my Treg. From my understanding you can attack trails rated up to 3 on this page. We are talking about stock Touareg 2 no air suspension. Rating of 3: almost any SUV with higher ground clearance can complete this trail. You probably won't need 4-Wheel Drive, but it would be good to have just in case. Because of rocks in the trail or whoopdeedoos in places, an SUV with lower clearance might have issues and might hit something on the undercarriage. What do you think experienced people especially these who attended previous years Rallies? Go 3 or try to attack 4? Rating of 4: a good challenge for a stock Jeep Wrangler. There will be smaller rocks and whoopdeedoos that might make 4-Wheel Drive necessary, so be sure you have it. There may be mud, hills or water that could pose additional challenges. These trails are probably the top end for standard SUVs. Thank you for the input in advance. Also anybody who drives T3 and lives nearby can try these trails and tell us how they hold up and how far they can go.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
According to that scale, I've probably done a 6, maybe up to a 7, especially in Moab. Probably a 5.5 in Colorado. Skid plate gets used frequently.

·
Registered
179 Posts
According to that scale, I've probably done a 6, maybe up to a 7, especially in Moab. Probably a 5.5 in Colorado. Skid plate gets used frequently.
Thank you for your quick reply and ratings you posted are very promising and yes skid plate is in the works. Just to double check I was talking about no[-X air suspension T2.

·
Registered
242 Posts
subscribed...we'd join in any time this summer, now that we have 17" wheels and a set of Hankooks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
We used a lot of PTO during the last two months of my wife's pregnancy so we're not going to be able to do anything week-long this year I'm sad to report. Thrilled we have a healthy kiddo so it's not a bad thing. :)

We're going to do 2-3 day long trips instead where I just take a Monday or Friday. Would love to meet up with folks from the forum if any of you happen to be where we are when we are there. lol

First weekend in May - Glenwood Springs via Hoosier Pass (where I totaled the Jetta last year - get back on that horse)
First Monday in June - summit Pikes Peak via Crags Trail route (anniversary of my dad's death)
Early June - spectate the Pikes Peak Hill Climb (maybe camp on the mountain?)
Late June - summit Mt. Elbert via one of the easy routes
Last weekend of July - Lake City - celebrating my 45th birthday 7 months late (ask my wife ;). Want to drive up West Willow Creek road from Creede a bit and maybe Engineer pass too if time permits

On any other weekend we'll be doing something cheap/free/local to the Pikes Peak region. There are so many places for dispersed camping around here it's just crazy!

Maybe I should have put all this in a "what are we doing this summer" thread. :)

·
Registered
561 Posts
I want to join this year also. But I have 19" Athoes. Do we need to off road? I can bring my propane BBQ and be responsible for hot dogs and hamburgers :D

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Not sure if that is a compliment or a dig at us. Either way, the concern is valid.
That's a compliment, brutal honesty about thrashing new untested T3 equipment only rated "Touareg Lite" is a plus. I just got back from that whole area, Moab after jeep week, Fruita, and Cortez, going past Telluride to get there.

My T3 is a great Mountain bike hauler, it pulls a mean 21 foot travel trailer too, but I would not be up for thrashing rocker panels or under carriage parts. I just sold my old 87 toytota 4x4 extra cab, and that was a very capable vehicle in stock form, but for real 4x4 capabilities, a very good friend of mine modifies the bejeebers out of all kinds of Jeeps, is in a RockCrawler club in Conejo Valley, etc.

I'd be in, but the areas you go to, I'd be more inclined to seek out great single track to ride on my mountain bike.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would LOVE to join a Treg get-together/trail escapade, and would be honored to do so !

T3 - 2012 TDI Sport, US version.

And, like others, I appreciate the concern for undercarriage/oil pan/etc. of my vehicle.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts