Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Touareg lite? Best description I've heard yet. Still quite capable though and I'm guessing clearance would be the only issue for most of the terrain. Previous attendees would know where the trouble spots are and steer you clear.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
The problem is that on many of the trails, there is no easy go around. Some degree of damage must be assumed to underbody components, sub frame members and to air dams, rocker panels, and bumpers, even on the easier trails.

There is still no announcement on whether or not this event is even going to happen. Timing, location and participation are very much up in the air.

The suggestion to move to the Breckenridge area is being considered. I myself grew up in that area and know it quite well. It would certainly make it easier for many to participate for a shorter period of time. However, the trails have less 'charm' than they do in the Ouray area.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Our plan is to be there the whole week no matter if it's Breck or Ouray. If it's Breck we'd likely go on up to RMNP on a "difficult" trail day - or over to Glenwood Springs. :) Our biggest draw would be the camping and meeting other Touareg owners. Wife's a big fan of US 550 but we have already planned on doing Mosquito Pass as soon as the new baby can hold her head up anyway. :)

I scanned through the Colorado Backroads and 4x4 trail book. I only see 3 "easy" trails in the Breck area in that book but there are 6 "easy" ones just a little further west between Vail and Leadville. Ouray looks like it has a great mix of easy through hard too.

We'll be good with whichever place. :) Hope we can all make it happen. I'll be happy to run up to Breck and take a look at trails/etc as time gets closer if it'll help.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Ignore the easy trails, they are but dirt highways and can be done in a Civic.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
MBX, what trails did you run and in what conditions?

·
Registered
151 Posts
It was a few years back and if i remember right it was 2 weeks or so before you guys went. It was WET and a bit of snow up high. We did Ophir Pass, Yankee Boy, Imogene and Alta Lakes. Also have done a few trails down in Sedona AZ more slick rock type stuff.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeti said:
No rear locker needed. I don't have one now nor did I have one on my 04 and never felt a need for one on any Rally I attended.
Good to hear. Had an open diff on my taco and had issues with traction.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Yeti! I was hoping, because I am making planes for my roundtrip to glacier nat. park so i figured that i go to one or the other first. I guess it is only going to be one.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Yeti !
I guess you are right with your assumption. I still was hoping that someone else would chime in and update the situation. I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
The original organizers are part of this forum and active on it. If nothing was said by now I am thinking they have no plans to organize anything and it is a dead issue for them. I'm gonna miss it as well since I have only managed to do it 3 times myself and only once with my current ride. It is a fun time and teaches you new respect for what the vehical can do and it's full capabilities.

I know the great concern and I am not starting any sort of debate here, is what the T3 can really do given some of the trails we have run there. With no air suspension, low range and a some what lower softer steel suspension it may be limited to certain trails we ran there. Trail rides got progressively harder as the week went on and many have no turn out spot or alternate route once you are committed to that trail. That would be the big concern with getting something together with the T3 crowd. They want no stuck or damaged vehicles that require extraction via a tow company or other means.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
I have to be brief right now, but no, there are no plans in the works that I am aware of. As Yeti said, the unknown of the T3 drive terrain and suspension would be a liability to our event. I simply do not believe it to be as capable as the older T1 and T2, mainly due to the lack of a transfer case and lockers.

·
Super Moderator
9,365 Posts
For starters I live too far away now and I have seen what Aircooled has had to deal with. I too have the same concerns with the T3's and if they only did the easier stuff and nothing more I would be fine with that. My one idea to Aircooled when we talked on the phone about this awhile ago was if the Rally was gonna happen would be to allow the T3 owners a ride along with the previous gen owners on the trails we are concerned about. After the ride along if the T3 owner determines they want to still try it then it would be on them for any damage or recovery of which may be beyond that in attendance to provide. Not trying to be a d__k about it, but it is a legitimate concern given the unknown of the T3 off road in this type of terrain. While some trails are just dirt roads, some areas have slow technical crawling sections that last a few minutes and could try the patience of those not used to it. As said before once in these areas you are fully committed to get through them.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts