Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,366 Posts
So is everyone only thinking Ouray again? There are lots of mountains up here in Colorado. I have run into a Range Rover rally near my house between Keystone and Breckenridge. And there are 4x4 routes all over this region. I also might have a hotel contact here.
While I believe the area you want to go with has plenty of trails, Ouray works best due to the fact the trails are already known by the organizers there and know what to expect of them. There is also a lot of other stuff do in and around Ouray if participants decide not to do any trail riding at all after the first day or so.
Chris, if I get my vacation I believe I am gonna plan on coming out this year. Sucks I have a longer commute to get there, but maybe Schubie and I can hook up to travel together.. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Definitely might be interested in making the drive, I'll add it to my calender so I don't forget.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am interested, though I only have a T3.

Is there any way to have an early day or two with easier, beginner (like me), trails? These could also be good for the experienced T3 owners to see how their rigs actually perform (compared to say their old/previous rig).

·
Super Moderator
9,366 Posts
I am interested, though I only have a T3.

Is there any way to have an early day or two with easier, beginner (like me), trails? These could also be good for the experienced T3 owners to see how their rigs actually perform (compared to say their old/previous rig).
Week starts out easy and gets harder as we go. So doing an easy trail is not an issue what so ever. There is even a couple of little places just outside of town to play with that is not hard imo, but could give at least a sampling of stuff we would deal with out on the longer rides.

·
Registered
365 Posts
........how much off-road have you done in your T3? Any at extreme altitude and slope? There are some areas that exceed 25 degrees slope and are at 12,000 ft + AGL.

Here in flat hellhole Kansas? Most extreme is going over the curb :rolleyes:
Seriously, with T3 few little muddy hills to see how the traction control works but nothing that I could say way or another.

On the other hand, with previous Audi Q5 that haves same Torsen driveline and more street oriented traction control, I had wide smile on my face after "senic" (wife somehow doesn't agree the senic definition) drives around Colorado and Utah...

Looks nothing but that hardpacked dirt hill was somewhere 20 degrees or more and I was expecting it to get stuck and just spin wheels but it went up like nothing.

I have no doubts about the driveline but my concern is the slow speed rock dodging on those ground clearance demanding spots.

With lockers driver can stop and go and crawl forward to find the right spot.

With Q5 and T3, the driver have to keep steady gas so the computer undertands the driver wanting to go and keeps controlling the spinning wheels and cry out loud if driver eases the gas as then the computer stops controlling the spinning wheel and it's either rolling back or stuck or driver adds gas and while the wheel is spinning and spraying gravel around, it takes a moment from computer to get its act together and do something.

So, yes I would rather have my old MB G or 2009-2010 Touareg with middle and rear lockers and enjoy the trip as the rest of guys but I have to play with the cards I have on my hand and so be it.

As Yeti pointed out, it usually starts easy and gets rougher and as I have more concerns from ground clearance than driveline, I will enjoy the start and bail out if I get feeling going further causes damage rather than opportunity to enjoy the senic view.

The altitude, 12,000 ft is nice pit-stop...

My cousin lives in Crested Butte and their home is at 12,000 ft so we are quite used to higher elevation and we know the dang headache the lack of oxygen causes until person acclimates.

·
Super Moderator
9,366 Posts
[QUOTE="kleinbus;384500/]

As Yeti pointed out, it usually starts easy and gets rougher and as I have more concerns from ground clearance than driveline, I will enjoy the start and bail out if I get feeling going further causes damage rather than opportunity to enjoy the senic view.[/QUOTE]
Only issue would be is that some areas we come up on there is no bail out area as in a go around or turn around. Once there you are committed. That is why I suggest a ride along with others through these areas so the T3 owners can see what we actually can do and if they feel they even want to try it. Those areas are the big concern most of us have with the T3 and the lower ground clearance.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
How many inches difference is there between the T3's ground clearance and that of previous models?

By the info what I found, with steel suspension...

Ground clearance: 8.3 in
Angle of departure: 28 degrees

Ground clearance: 7.9 in
Angle of departure: 26 degrees

·
Registered
76 Posts
So, it's probably best to start with: who is interested?

Indicate your preferred date in your response.

I am very interested! The first week would work best for me, but I could probably make either week work.

I agree that Ouray is a great location for this. I took my Treg out there in September, and we took the 4x4 road out of Ouray that goes over Engineer pass (12,800 ft). My guide book lists two sections of that route as "Difficult" and I'm glad to report that my '05 with air suspension made it through with flying colors. I needed every bit of the Xtra Clearance in some spots, but I was able to avoid any bottoming out (the 265/65/17 A/T tires helped too). The fall colors were incredible along that route too!

I really hope it comes together this year. I live relatively close (Colorado Springs), so I would be glad to support the planning in some manner, if needed.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Our kids aren't in school yet so no pref either way on dates. New baby girl should be 4-5 months old by that point and definitely ready for camping! Heck, we'll all be ready!

Like woody525, we live just outside Colorado Springs so we'll help however we can. Even if the official tour doesn't materialize, we'll be up for an informal version. Wife really likes Durango so any time she can get me over there is good for her. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Still very interested! July 20-27 works for me and will block out in the calendar. I hope this thing comes together!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Still Roading!

Ah ha, you are starting to see WHY there hasn't been a Touareg rally of late! Finding the time and commitment to organize this event has always been taxing. Typically what happens is that this time of year, there is a lot of interest and 'commitment', but many of them peel off and cancel in the months leading up to the actual rally. Even more become incommunicado right up to or during the rally, never to be seen from or heard from again.

Pretty frustrating and disappointing for us that puts several months of work into checking trails, arranging group accommodations, organizing dinners, organizing and leading the day's groups (usually split into three, according to ability) etc.

I am NOT committing to there being a rally for 2013. I had to give that up a few years ago mostly due to my lack of time and now the fact that I am geographically separated from the area. I'm also pretty much past the point of being able to fit in my Touareg with my family. We have simply outgrown it!

IF there were to be a rally this year, it would usually run from July 20-27 (preferred) or July 27 - Aug 3 (starts to run into school commitments). We generally run this late to allow the trails to be open and clear of snow. We also try to plan around the FJ Rally, which bring HUNDREDS of FJs onto the trail for a weekend and really fills the trails to capacity. **EDIT: FJ Summit is July 17-21 for 2013**

Hey you may see some old guy show up on a harley just to say hello.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
The downhill assist on the T-3 is about as good... if not better than the low-ranged T's. Testing that T-3 VW sent to me a couple of years ago... I was actually quite impressed.

That said.... climbing angle and thin air an altitude may be the other issue. Getting up the hill may be the challenge --- getting down not so much!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interested

[/QUOTE]

I am interested! Need to score some rubber for my 17's, not super hardcore... its my driver. No rear locker either.

·
Super Moderator
9,366 Posts
I am interested! Need to score some rubber for my 17's, not super hardcore... its my driver. No rear locker either.
No rear locker needed. I don't have one now nor did I have one on my 04 and never felt a need for one on any Rally I attended.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I am very interested. I don't really care which week is selected. Wife and I can book either week on relatively short notice so long as project schedules don't get crazy busy. Sooner a date is set the better though so I can make sure I get the time off. I'm near Toronto, so its about three (8 hour) days driving to get to Denver.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts