Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,368 Posts
If Ouray happens at all it is still early to get info for that. Look for after the new year. I have a feeling it may be done though since the organizers are busy with other things in their lives now. Just need to wait and see if they decide to do it. Nothing else has ever been officially planned on the west coast as far as I know.

·
Dark Lord of the Sith
1,278 Posts
I truly hope it does happen this year or next. I have been preparing and just got a fifth rim and will have a full size spare.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I sure hope we have one this year. These types of gatherings are rare Touareg owners. Yeti. You know who organizes it?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I sure hope we have one this year. These types of gatherings are rare Touareg owners. Yeti. You know who organizes it?
I'd check if there is an off-road truck shop in the area and see if they want to be a sponsor / organizer.

Since this is a no-fee type gathering, all you need to do is arrange a group rate at a local hotel and have a local guide that can take you out to the trails. Having a local shop on board would be good for breakdown assistance and local knowledge. You might also want to establish a contact with the nearest VW dealership for parts support.

·
Registered
633 Posts
A buddy of mine who's into 4x4 bought some land outside Silverton this summer. He's planning on building a cabin next summer - maybe we could all meet there? Never hurts to ask. :)

We're not hard-core 4x4 - the Touareg is our daily driver. I just drive until the wife's had enough. :) She's ok with narrow shelf trails but doesn't like the steep ones. We love camping though and the new baby will be in the 4-6 month old range assuming we go June-September.

If y'all are interested let me know and I'll ask.

·
Registered
633 Posts
<snip>Having a local shop on board would be good for breakdown assistance and local knowledge. You might also want to establish a contact with the nearest VW dealership for parts support.
There's a small(er) VW dealer in Glenwood Springs - about 3 hours north east. Larger VW dealer in Santa Fe - 5-1/2 hours south. About the same time to Colorado Springs with 2 VW and 1 Porsche dealers.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
If something materializes, I should be there... ;-)

·
Registered
633 Posts
A buddy of mine who's into 4x4 bought some land outside Silverton this summer. He's planning on building a cabin next summer - maybe we could all meet there? Never hurts to ask. :)
<snip>
If y'all are interested let me know and I'll ask.
My buddy is thinking about going out earlier - in May - likely earlier than we'll want to be there. Nevertheless there's lots of dispersed camping around there. We're definitely up for trip.

Let me know if we can help plan anything on our end.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm definitely interested. I live in California. So not sure I could Organize the event. But we would drive out for sure!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Not sure I'm a good organizer but I'll be happy to make calls to motels/camps wherever we decide to go. :)

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'd love to help organize this as well but with a 1 year old and one due in May my time isn't readily available. My hope is that I can at least attend in some way shape or form.

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Ah ha, you are starting to see WHY there hasn't been a Touareg rally of late! Finding the time and commitment to organize this event has always been taxing. Typically what happens is that this time of year, there is a lot of interest and 'commitment', but many of them peel off and cancel in the months leading up to the actual rally. Even more become incommunicado right up to or during the rally, never to be seen from or heard from again.

Pretty frustrating and disappointing for us that puts several months of work into checking trails, arranging group accommodations, organizing dinners, organizing and leading the day's groups (usually split into three, according to ability) etc.

I am NOT committing to there being a rally for 2013. I had to give that up a few years ago mostly due to my lack of time and now the fact that I am geographically separated from the area. I'm also pretty much past the point of being able to fit in my Touareg with my family. We have simply outgrown it!

IF there were to be a rally this year, it would usually run from July 20-27 (preferred) or July 27 - Aug 3 (starts to run into school commitments). We generally run this late to allow the trails to be open and clear of snow. We also try to plan around the FJ Rally, which bring HUNDREDS of FJs onto the trail for a weekend and really fills the trails to capacity. **EDIT: FJ Summit is July 17-21 for 2013**

So, it's probably best to start with: who is interested?

Indicate your preferred date in your response.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sounds good; I'm interested! :cool: And I should be able to make it either week. But the first one would probably work better for me too. Thanks--Chris

·
Registered
365 Posts
So, it's probably best to start with: who is interested?

Indicate your preferred date in your response.

- Committed. Just tell when and where.

- I'm unable to take whole week off for this so we would join for Fri-Sun (drive there on Thu from Kansas City and drive back on Sun).

·
Administrator
4,286 Posts
Please keep in mind, I'm not even sure IF I can do this this year. I'm simply gaging interest. I'm also EXTREMELY leery of allowing non-transfer cased T3.

Klein, how much off-road have you done in your T3? Any at extreme altitude and slope? There are some areas that exceed 25 degrees slope and are at 12,000 ft + AGL.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So is everyone only thinking Ouray again? There are lots of mountains up here in Colorado. I have run into a Range Rover rally near my house between Keystone and Breckenridge. And there are 4x4 routes all over this region. I also might have a hotel contact here.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts