Club Touareg Forum banner

101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Older Tdis used sealant.

In 2010 a batch suffered major coolant leaks after about 5-10,000 miles because the factory sealant application tool was only achieving 359 degrees coverage!

Hopefully someone will confirm current practice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my dealership told me that it was an egr component causing the leak, when I informed them that I still have warranty on the egr system they suddenly changed the diagnosis and told me it was the oil cooler which they would not warranty(I'm long past 100K miles)

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know if its covered by the 10/100K or not. I'm pretty sure the dealership I was using wouldn't cover it. Hopefully yours is better.
They seem so disreputable I couldn't trust them to do it. I am trying to figure how to do it myself. I think dragline mentioned that it's probably just a couple of gaskets associated with the cooler that need replacing in addition to the vacuum controlled valve?

·
Registered
82 Posts
We only had the Touareg back for 2 days before new problems surfaced. A flashing glow plug light and what feels like a cylinder not firing on the way back from Ikea Sunday. Drove it right to the dealer and they got us an Uber home. Uber guy had a clean smooth running Kia Forte with 220,000 US miles on it!

VW extended TDI warranty would not cover the coolant leak. VWoA goodwill paid for 50% of the repair $500. I had to have this case escalated at VWoA. It took 3 weeks.

Nowthe new problem might be fuel system related which according to the dealer should be covered under the TDI warranty. I think its a loose ground from the coolant leak repair honestly. But if they want to risk opening the pandora’s box known as the common rail fuel system have at it. We are done with the Touareg.

My wife is eyeballing CR-Vs and Tesla Model 3s.

Damn shame. We will miss the Toureg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dealer was able to confirm my vehicle is under warranty and that this repair would be covered by the warranty. I'll update the thread as the repair is underway.

I noticed someone say something about some gunk/soot was possibly cleaned from the intake/EGR valves? Were you able to confirm that and if that's something I could request and/or pay additionally for? Or, if the dealer isn't willing to address any build-up in the system, is that something I can do after they complete the repair?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Dealer confirmed after the coolant leak was fixed the HPFP needs to be replaced. It was supposed to fixed today, but they said now it will be next week. Great timing on the HPFP failing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Touareg still under the knife. Wagon was totaled last week so I started hunting for a replacement and realized a major dose of "why bother" fighting the vehicles' quirks and dealing with VW's dealership network. Took a Kia Stinger for a ride and about all I can say is wow! Haven't been in anything other than German engineered for decades but looking at the Stinger's heritage I couldn't be in better hands (Kia essentially poaching all the best talent from das Vaterland).

If your wife is eyeing a Tesla Model 3, I'd strongly encourage checking out Hyundai's sleeper in the Kona Electric. Slightly larger, more muted performance in the Kia eNiro. The incentives are flowing nicely pricing their mid-40 EVs around $33K with a couple more thousand coming back from California.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yep, wife is still eyeing Model 3. She has been in the CR-V loaner for about a week and likes it. We took the CR-V to the VW dealer to unload the Ikea run we purchased last weekend. Everything fit and with a bit more room.

We took a Kona Electric for a test drive and we are just took big for that one. The Model 3 is like a Atlas compared to the Kona Electric.

The Touareg is in pieces. It is very sad.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I haven't test driven an electric Kona but I compared the gasser Niro against the Kona. The Niro is a few inches larger in every direction. It's subtle but noticeable. The value proposition of a low 30k 250 range EV is difficult to ignore, though. Reports of drivers achieving 300ish without trying too hard are out there.

101 - 111 of 111 Posts