Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Well look like my coolant problem has just turned into an oil leak problem.... Looks like it might have started to take out the front engine flange gasket: 059103161AJ, I can see oil leaks from both sides of the engine. I have service scheduled on Tuesday.

During the call with my service advisor I told him about the part Drag is talking about, and he said they have a Q7 in right now getting that part replaced, for the same (mysterious) coolant leak. Cost estimate is $1800, since apparently most of the top of the engine is going to be removed (Valley parts)... Great.

AUDI Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY.
Part Number: 059121737AM
Supersession(s): 059121737AK

$68.93

VW Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY.

$71.37

Dragline, is there anything else you would replace while the top of the engine is exposed? I'm guessing that the EGR and OIL cooler gaskets on top are probably deteriorating and who knows what else.

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Alright, dropped off the car for service the other day and just received a call from my service advisor. Looks like the Coolant part above is whats leaking, in the process its started to take out a few gaskets around it. Not too bad, but due it and the associated gaskets all being buried under the intake manifold, the labor is what is going to drive the price. He's saying it looks like a 2k fix, which looks like about 1k in labor, by my estimate. Looking at the diagrams, its connected to the EGR system cooling. So I asked him to run it by the warranty guy there and see if its covered either fully or partly by the diesel emissions warranty. The warranty is pretty explicit, with much of anything to do with emissions being covered. Its a long shot but I tossed it out to see if anything sticks, and I believe atleast some of it will.

Either way, this started around December I believe, and with the heat here in Florida, I knew it was only going to get worse. On the plus side, I'm driving around a just about fully loaded, 19' Q7, and man I love this rig... If it came in diesel. I've been looking at V8 TDI's, for a few hours this morning. lol I've pretty much talked the wife into us needing to just figure out a way to retrofit that here (can't be that difficult!). She's sold, who's coming with me!!

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Audi-Q7-4-2-TDI-CR-V8-CCFA-250-KW-340-PS-Motor-Engine-CCFC-Komplett/401816859639?hash=item5d8e26b3f7:g:aEMAAOSwPUVdLHyQ

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/ENGINE-AUDI-Q7-4-2-TDI-CCFC-Complate-engine-fitting-available-warranty-low-milag/223552077345?hash=item340cbdfe21:g:dmcAAOSwGgddBAdM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Well look like my coolant problem has just turned into an oil leak problem.... Looks like it might have started to take out the front engine flange gasket: 059103161AJ, I can see oil leaks from both sides of the engine. I have service scheduled on Tuesday.

During the call with my service advisor I told him about the part Drag is talking about, and he said they have a Q7 in right now getting that part replaced, for the same (mysterious) coolant leak. Cost estimate is $1800, since apparently most of the top of the engine is going to be removed (Valley parts)... Great.

AUDI Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY.

$68.93

VW Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY.

$71.37

Dragline, is there anything else you would replace while the top of the engine is exposed? I'm guessing that the EGR and OIL cooler gaskets on top are probably deteriorating and who knows what else.
Beside the parts list i supplied previously that included every gasket to get at the valve. That includes removing the alloy plate between the oil cooler and the block and replacing those gaskets.
You need to push the service people to do this as the plate doesn't have to be removed to replace the valve. But the O-rings under it will be sad

Regards
Drag

·
Registered
669 Posts
Thanks Drag! What do you think any of the the heater solenoids or, engine thermostat, or aux water pump should be changed out for preventative maintenance? I haven't seen any reports of the water pump failing. I'm at 110k miles, so while the valley is free and they're doing most of the work with the coolant system, I might as well refurbish the system.

Parts:
4H0121671D // Valve. Solenoid. Control. HVAC. Heater.

059121012A // AUXILIARY pump. Engine Auxiliary Water Pump.

059121111R // Engine Coolant Thermostat Kit.

I've seen a few '14 TDI Q7s from another forum having their Vibration Dampener fail as well:
059105251DJ /// Engine Crankshaft Pulley. Vibration Damper.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-discussion-112/2013-q7-crank-pulley-failure-47-000-miles-2972269/

Here's a compilation of Drags part's for the full change-out he posted about.

The items to Order are:

(1) 059117070A // Engine Oil Cooler Gasket. Engine Oil Cooler Seal. Oil cooler o - ring. $1.51

(1) 059131358B $2.32

(1) 059117070 // Engine Oil Cooler Gasket. $9.16

(1) 059117070B // Engine Oil Cooler Gasket. $2.32

(6) 059129718A // Engine Intake Manifold Gasket. $1.13

(6) 059129717N // Engine Intake Manifold Gasket. $1.13

(1) N90809102 // Seal. Ring. Pipe. (Upper, Lower) $0.82

(1) 059131547P $1.22

(1) 059121506H // Engine Coolant Inlet Flange. Engine Coolant Outlet Flange. $13.22

(1) 059131547R // Connector pipe o - ring. Connector pipe seal. Cooler pipe seal. EGR tube seal. GASKET. $1.13

(1) 059121737AM // Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY. $68.93

Cart Subtotal $114.19 Shipping & Handling to USA $14.95 Total $129.14

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Alright, next twist.

Sitting here researching the parts list the service advisor sent me; I think to myself, I've read a ton of threads about being denied warranty coverage by the dealer and Audi Corporate honoring the diesel warranty; so I called Audi Corporate! 1-800-822-2834 :nerd:

I told her the part that had died was (059121737AM // Cooling System Bypass Line Adapter. Thermostat unit. Valve ASSEMBLY.) and that I believe looking at the diagrams, it feeds directly into the EGR cooler, thus it would be covered under the extended diesel emissions warranty, under the EGR subsection:

The EGR system, including EGR valves, EGR cooler, EGR filter, EGR temperature sensor, all related hoses and pipes, and all sensors and actuators

I gave the AOA representative the part number and she said she would check with the warranty team. About 5 minutes later, she comes back on the line and says the part is covered. I asked her what to do with my service advisor saying his warranty guy said it wasn't, and she said to have him call 'The Warranty Team'. Minutes later I called my service advisor to spread the great news and he's a little in shock. He says he get with the warranty department and give me a call back. (To talk about having them change a few extra parts on the side.) >:)

·
Registered
669 Posts
Alright I just got off the phone with my Advisor and he said they are going to take care of it. He said he wasn't sure about the oil leak, it caused, but being that it was caused by their failure to fix the leak and this came from it, I'm sure it will be covered. I'm going to include the diagram I used, and the invoice I got Friday showing the parts they were going to order (with me paying for it). I'm going to use that as a guide as to what they had better be replacing! I'll also include a copy of the few extra parts I'll have done while the manifold is taken apart and the Vibration dampener.

The take away is the Diesel Emissions Warranty will take care of you, if the affected part is part of the systems mentioned in the booklet. IF YOU ARE IN DOUBT, CALL AOA YOURSELF (1-800-822-2834) AND MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT (pull diagrams, like the one I'm about to post, for reference).
https://audi.7zap.com/en/usa/audi+q7/aq7/2014-675/1/121-121019/

Thank you Dragline1670 for figuring out the source of the leak!

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Video showing the cooling system and the Bypass part, controlling the block cooling.

[ame]http://youtu.be/d9uat7_1reI?t=38[/ame]

·
Registered
669 Posts
Video showing essentially the carnage drag was showing pictures of.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Excellent series of posts. Well done!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Alright, just got the car back. Everything was covered under the warranty. I did learn that the newer 2014 TDI engines' thermostat is built into the oil housing. So well that's new (the parts I listed are wrong 059121111R & 059121012A), I decided to skip it and went with a new vibration dampener, and while I thought they said they changed out the Valve. Solenoid. Control. HVAC. Heater. 4H0121671D, I don't see it listed anywhere in the paperwork, so I'll have to call on that tomorrow. (EDIT: Perhaps that what the Coolant Regulation Valve is in the first work order, pictures of assemblies like the valve show up from a quick google search. The associated numbers are not part numbers, perhaps labor codes?)

I'll attach Audi's parts list from the service order.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
The general level of the dealer fault finding skill amazes me.
Here i am just a one man independent that can find the issue. sure it took me time but i looked till i found it.
I am absolutely sure this is a common problem in the earlier T3 V6 Tdi engines.

More photos and the parts list to repair the leak (leaking valve is underlined on pdf)

Regards
Drag
Thank you for this post ,have had a progressively larger coolant leak for past 6 months in a 2013 TDI which I had originally thought was the water pump due to a coolant stain noted near the pump. After reading this post and inspecting the Valley below the intake manifold and seeing a large amount of coolant pooled there.
I removed the inlet manifold and there was such a mess it was difficult to tell just what been leaking however I replaced all parts as listed including the valve and now six weeks later I am happy to say there are no more leaks.
Once again thank you for the information which has saved me a great deal of time and expense.

Regards
Chris.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The general level of the dealer fault finding skill amazes me.
Here i am just a one man independent that can find the issue. sure it took me time but i looked till i found it.
I am absolutely sure this is a common problem in the earlier T3 V6 Tdi engines.

More photos and the parts list to repair the leak (leaking valve is underlined on pdf)

Regards
Drag
Okay Dragline. First, Thanks! I'm working on confirming this same problem. My valley is full of coolant. I've got the intake removed but not the EGR cooler (I think that's what it is), or an other parts hiding the valley. If I pull the cooler, what do I do with the coolant lines while performing the pressure test? You note in the photo that you need to know how to test for this leak. Can you elaborate? Additionally, what should my pressure test pressure be? There's no marking on my cap and the print on my tank is long gone.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
17 Participants
79westy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing