Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Keep in mind the "Service Technicians" are often paid on commissions. If they can sell you a $400 cleaning they will put money in their pockets, not just the dealers pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ToolmanJohn: I registerd after seraching the web and coming upon this thread. I have a 2013 Q7 TDI, and it is currently at the Audi dealership getting the EGR cooler replaced ***UNDER WARRANTY*** because it was fiddled with during the Diesel Modification.
I figure this would be of interest to you, I would assume the warrranties would be the same for the same engine... I could be wrong.

Additionally; The original reason for their replacment is because they beleive that the EGR Cooler is leaking oil, but I also informed them of the same issue you have, the smell of antifreeze, loss of antifreeze, yet no drips. I'm hoping that 2 birds get killed with obne stone.

My Diesel Modification took place in December of 2017.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I also had the emissions modification performed in mid Dec 2017. That's when my issues started soon after. Coincidence? Maybe..

Concerning the coolant loss, I finally got my Touareg back after it was at the dealership for 10 service days (15 days total). The delay was for gaskets and seals necessary to complete the repair of the EGR cooler assembly. There is also an oil cooler jammed in there somewhere, that was replaced as well. It's on the parts list. They also performed an oil change because coolant went down some engine oil passages when the intake manifold was removed to replace the EGR assembly. I guess nearly everything in between the V must be removed to access the EGR. A lot of labor. I picked it up during my lunch break, drove it back to work, checked the coolant level in the parking lot, it was right to the bottom of the filler neck of the coolant reservoir. Not right, about an inch over the high coolant limit.

It also stunk like oil and coolant. I am hoping the smell eventually cooks off from engine heat. I fixed the level of coolant in the reservoir at home that night. When opening the reservoir tank, it gurgled a LOT. There seems to have been trapped air in the coolant system. The coolant level remained very high, and I removed some with a "garage only" turkey baster. I also removed the engine plastic cover, took a look underneath and the components seemed very neatly put back together. No loose dangling wires of hoses. Oil level was correct on the in dash indicator gauge.

Throttle response is MARKEDLY better. I was noticing since the emissions repair that the off idle response was sluggish when cold. It doesn't seem to be in the two days I've had it back. A noticeable difference. Maybe the EGR cooler was gunked up, I don't know. Maybe they cleaned the carbon soot in the pipes, I don't know that either. The entire repair was under the VW powertrain warranty. Still have about 15K miles left on it (one year perhaps).

Although I really don't want to pollute, but it's easy to see why a lot of guys justify getting an EGR delete, and removal of the AdBlue, DPF systems, to improve reliability, engine power, and fuel economy. I am starting to become concerned about long term ownership (I was planning for a 10 year stretch) and the cost of repairs for failed systems outside warranty. When these systems fail, and they likely will, it would be outrageous out of pocket.

I can say I really do enjoy driving my Touareg. Best performing SUV/vehicle I have ever owned, and it tows great, except for my experiences with systemic failures:

Random radio snapping noise
AdBlue tank level sensor (warranty -flashed ECU)
AdBlue tank heater (not covered by VW warranty, charged for repair under Platinum warranty, then reimbursed by VW)
Emissions Cheating repair
Water pump replacement
Oil seal replacement
and now, EGR cooler assembly, Oil cooler.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I cannot believe that. The first item on removing the EGR on ALL the engine variants is "Drain coolant"
The service department (adviser) said it. It was the stated reason they also had to do an oil change (no charge). I wasn't due for another oil change for 6000 miles.

So either the tech started removing things before draining, or had a lot of stuff off the valley and got coolant in there somehow. I wasn't present during the repair process, it took (2 weeks) but it definitely stunk the first week after I got it back. All better now though, the smell is not in the garage after getting home in the garage. It must have burned off from engine heat.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So... looks like I've got the same issue on a fixed vehicle.... dun dun dun.....
If that's the case, you must be insistent. The coolant can only disappear in a few ways externally, and if you park in the same place each day, you would see it if it's fast enough.

Active leak
Radiator leak
Water pump leak
Hose Leak

So the only other way coolant can leave is through an internal leak, and out the tailpipe. They will do a pressure test first of course, as they did to mine (early 2018), but it came back OK, so they didn't look further. I think my leak had a lot to do with the cold winter weather causing the EGR seal surface to allow leaking when very cold, and seal up when hot. It went almost a year (2018) with no indication of leaking until he following winter. Maybe my water pump was just unhappy coincidence and bad timing and threw them off the trail of the internal leak. By the time they replaced the water pump, it was spring 2018.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
If that's the case, you must be insistent. The coolant can only disappear in a few ways externally, and if you park in the same place each day, you would see it if it's fast enough.

Active leak
Radiator leak
Water pump leak
Hose Leak

So the only other way coolant can leave is through an internal leak, and out the tailpipe. They will do a pressure test first of course, as they did to mine (early 2018), but it came back OK, so they didn't look further. I think my leak had a lot to do with the cold winter weather causing the EGR seal surface to allow leaking when very cold, and seal up when hot. It went almost a year (2018) with no indication of leaking until he following winter. Maybe my water pump was just unhappy coincidence and bad timing and threw them off the trail of the internal leak. By the time they replaced the water pump, it was spring 2018.

If the coolant leak is into the valley the tendency is for the coolant to evaporate from heat before it leaks on the ground.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
415 Posts
had a lot of stuff off the valley
I had a leak in the seal between the cooler and the valve (Flap?).
A leak test did not reveal and problem yet the coolant would go down and the valley fill with coolant. Any rapid stops would have the coolant run forward over the belts and spray everywhere.

I would hose the valley out to try to find the exact source of the leak. I never did.

I believe that one can buy the gasket between the cooler and the valve. But VW apparently do not know that!!. They replaced both the cooler and valve.

There is a mod you can do to the bracket for exhaust gas recirculation cooler so that the next time the cooler and valve can be removed from the bracket without having to remove the bracket and the connections in the block.

No need to speak Russian to get the gist of the mod.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
For anyone who reads this thread and has the same coolant leak filling the valley of the engine and also running down the front of the engine beside the coolant pump don't look at the EGR cooler as the issue!!

It is the vacuum controlled coolant valve leaking that is mounted under the EGR valve behind the oil cooler under the HP pump.

I know that sound somewhat confusing but having repaired 3 of these in the last month (2 x Q7's and 1 x Touareg) i am sure i have figured it out.

VW even updated the coolant valve as the old unit leaks from the shaft that turns the internal valve.

I have photos if any interest and part numbers.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
For anyone who reads this thread and has the same coolant leak filling the valley of the engine and also running down the front of the engine beside the coolant pump don't look at the EGR cooler as the issue!!

It is the vacuum controlled coolant valve leaking that is mounted under the EGR valve behind the oil cooler under the HP pump.

I know that sound somewhat confusing but having repaired 3 of these in the last month (2 x Q7's and 1 x Touareg) i am sure i have figured it out.

VW even updated the coolant valve as the old unit leaks from the shaft that turns the internal valve.

regards
Drag
What model years? All of them?

·
Registered
2,579 Posts

regards
Drag
What model years? All of them?
Touareg's and Q7's from about 2011 on.
T3 models in the 3.0L Tdi as we know them.

Photos show the result and repair of the leak with photo 838 showing the leaking valve mounted to the alloy plate under the HP pump

Regards
Drag

Attachments

·
Registered
669 Posts
Drag,

Could we get the part numbers? Perhaps this is where my leak is, I have some in the valley, but the techs claimed they removed the EGR cooler and it wasn't leaking. (I highly doubt they removed it).

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Drag,

Could we get the part numbers? Perhaps this is where my leak is, I have some in the valley, but the techs claimed they removed the EGR cooler and it wasn't leaking. (I highly doubt they removed it).

The general level of the dealer fault finding skill amazes me.
Here i am just a one man independent that can find the issue. sure it took me time but i looked till i found it.
I am absolutely sure this is a common problem in the earlier T3 V6 Tdi engines.

More photos and the parts list to repair the leak (leaking valve is underlined on pdf)

Regards
Drag

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The general level of the dealer fault finding skill amazes me.
Here i am just a one man independent that can find the issue. sure it took me time but i looked till i found it.
I am absolutely sure this is a common problem in the earlier T3 V6 Tdi engines.

More photos and the parts list to repair the leak (leaking valve is underlined on pdf)

Regards
Drag
Great work !

We have a coolant leak on our 3.0 Tdi, the water pump was replaced a few months ago but the low coolant warning light came on the other day. On topping up I noticed the lower part of the engine is wet. Do you have to remove everything above the valve in order to check that its leaking ?

Regards,

Andy

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Great work !

We have a coolant leak on our 3.0 Tdi, the water pump was replaced a few months ago but the low coolant warning light came on the other day. On topping up I noticed the lower part of the engine is wet. Do you have to remove everything above the valve in order to check that its leaking ?

Regards,

Andy

Andy
Yes every thing from the inlet manifold to all the items in the valley.

regards
Drag

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It would be awesome to do a write up with pictures for this. I have an electronic copy of the ELSWIN manual, but because it is so unbelievably subdivided into a million sections, it is hard to to use as one continuous work procedure for anything that requires multiple steps to get to an actual problem area.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts
About this Discussion
52 Replies
17 Participants
79westy
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing