Club Touareg Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
ah a temp sensor would be pretty easy to proviision.. Sweet, I think I figured out how to modify one of those ford CP4.2 bypass plates onto the HPFP but the EGR is almost certainly in the way.. as far as I can tell theres next to no room between the HPFP's input barb and the EGR.. and the plate moves the input barb even closer to the EGR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got fixed coolant leak and it is leaking again :mad: I will replace again all gaskets. To be sure, I am considering also glue which is used for oil pan. Probably it is leaking under plastic part on right side. For now, I have to wait for next oil change to prevent mixing coolant with oil.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My advise would be to replace the gaskets above and below the aluminium intermediate plate, the gasket and o-ring of the black plastic pipe on the right, and the thermostatic valve.
Also, with a power tool and a brass brush clean all the mating surfaces of the engine block. In addition to that, make sure that the inner surface of the egr cooler flange that connects with the black plastic pipe is free of dirt, otherwise the o-ring will not sit properly.
Check the condition of the slots of the aluminium plate where the gaskets fit. Mine had some corroded spots and had to file them to bring them back to shape.
I hope it helps.

Gabriel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Getting ready to start tackling this job, As I imagine the fuel line that goes across the valley needs to be removed and eventually replaced, is there anything special to bleed the fuel lines after reinstall? Or is it as simple as just cranking. Also do the glow plug wires just "pull" off?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yeap, you have to remove it.
I did not bleed it at all. It took a few extra secs but started with no issues whatsoever.
In order to remove the intake manifold easily, remove the glow plug connectors first. Yes, they just pull off. You can use regular pliers to pull them.
Good luck!

·
Registered
Touareg 3.0TDI Exclusive (2013)
19 Posts
Getting ready to start tackling this job, As I imagine the fuel line that goes across the valley needs to be removed and eventually replaced, is there anything special to bleed the fuel lines after reinstall? Or is it as simple as just cranking. Also do the glow plug wires just "pull" off?
Bleeding is not necessary. Just start it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also clarification on the coolant draining prior to attempting. I believe in this thread, removing the water pump is mentioned. Looked yesterday at procedure for remove/replace oil cooler within ELSAWIN, from memory they suggested removing a lower coolant hose I believe. Any thoughts on method, seems maybe easier to remove coolant hose if it is a viable method?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I did not remove the lower hose. I just pumped out as much coolant as I could from the expansion tank. That way you will not remove all the coolant from the engine, unfortunately a noticeable ammount of coolant will flow out as soon as you start removing parts within the engine V.
As an alternative, you could try unplugging the heater core hoses that run by the left front wheel. I would imagine that, as they are smaller, there is less chance to make a mess...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Assuming I plan on changing oil after accomplishing this job, should I drop the oil without running engine after putting it all back together, or run it a bit to circulate some of the contaminated oil (and to warm oil), and then drop? Also is engine oil in coolant something I need to be concerned with (opposite contamination)? Thanks guys, got it torn down today, what a mess!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Prior to assembling the new parts, I tried to suck out as much coolant and oil from the passages and voids within the engine V and cooler assembly as I could.
After refitting all the bits and bobs I refilled the cooling circuit with diluted G13, and added engine oil up to the correct level. Then cranked the engine up and let it idle until it was warm in order to check for leaks and to purge trapped air in the cooling circuit.
At that point no oil showed up at the expansion tank and has not done since. The following day I changed the engine oil and did not notice any coolant traces either.
So IMO I would say that you have to be aware that there migth be some fluid contamination but not to a large extend.

Gabriel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thinking out loud here. Was thinking of doing an EGR delete while Im in there as with that in the way it is terribly hard to monitor this area of the engine (V), for leaks. The coolant flow does of course run through the EGR, does anyone have intimate knowledge of the coolant flow on this engine. If one were to "block off the points" of entry exit to EGR, instead of engineering a replacement tube/pipe. Would this keep flow to rest of engine in tact? The part in question is that which seems vital in this. Top hole is that which feeds the EGR, and of course other point is 3/4 hose near water pump for entry/exit to EGR. Additionally, also to consider there is a coolant temp sensor that is ingrained in the EGR, that I believe needs to be there, or at least detecting coolant temp. The sensor must be used elsewhere in the vw world, as I have found one (and have it in my possession) that "screws" into a T plastic fitting (part 059919523A). The only troubling thing is that the barbs on this part are for 3/8 hose, which makes the flow through the "pipe" very small, wondering if this will cause any issues if flow through this bypass pipe is small. I imagine the T is originally for use with a fuel line/temp sensor, but it happends to be the same sensor as used for coolant through the EGR.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
so is the egr valve leaking in the exhaust a thing ? I dont seem to see any liquid or even a smell of coolant even if I had to add 2 liter in less that 4000km trip ( 1800 miles) .
I'm out of the diesel gate warranty but my egr valve is still on the warranty... Is there a easy way to see if there is a pool ? even my mechanic couldnt find anything
thank you !

·
Registered
82 Posts
so is the egr valve leaking in the exhaust a thing ? I dont seem to see any liquid or even a smell of coolant even if I had to add 2 liter in less that 4000km trip ( 1800 miles) .
I'm out of the diesel gate warranty but my egr valve is still on the warranty... Is there a easy way to see if there is a pool ? even my mechanic couldnt find anything
thank you !
So my treg is at the dealer and the erg valve is all good, even if they found a major pool , what can I tell them to make sure they repair it ?

221 - 233 of 233 Posts