Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Hey all, mine is 2014 with 174k km it all started with limp mode error turbo actuator stuck then injector fault balance and misfire... tracked down to clogged DPF and error codes related to pdf... funny thing is turbo and pdf was replaced by the pervious owner in warranty... now I'm stuck with lots of issues today i cleaned all the intake and throttle...

here is a picture of my intake and throttle

Attachments

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey all, mine is 2014 with 174k km it all started with limp mode error turbo actuator stuck then injector fault balance and misfire... tracked down to clogged DPF and error codes related to pdf... funny thing is turbo and pdf was replaced by the pervious owner in warranty... now I'm stuck with lots of issues today i cleaned all the intake and throttle...

here is a picture of my intake and throttle
The buildup on mine actually looks like a little less than yours.. but I have no codes or errors.

· Registered
2008 T2 V6 3.0 TDI RHD
147 Posts
Will do. Wife left this morning for a 2hr one way shopping trip. She reported she made it about 100kms before CEL. Gaining approx 40km per drill size now. Who knows, it might just be a temp thing or maybe it will work long term. Best thing is nothing gets damaged or modified. Can simply put back to stock if this doesn’t work :)
did the CEL come on at high speeds/revs?

Id be curious to know what the resistance is of the egr sensor at cold, normal operating and after some time at 100km/h without any mods. Then take same readings with mods installed. Might be a simple resistor fix by bypassing egr temp/flow sensor? My guess is with the mods, the sensor does not detect egr flow gasses as being hot enough ie, insufficient flow CEL. Assuming this is your error code?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Id be curious to know what the resistance is of the egr sensor at cold, normal operating and after some time at 100km/h without any mods. Then take same readings with mods installed. Might be a simple resistor fix by bypassing egr temp/flow sensor? My guess is with the mods, the sensor does not detect egr flow gasses as being hot enough ie, insufficient flow CEL. Assuming this is your error code?
I'm guessing these systems are more complex than simply looking at EGR temp. Between the throttle plate, EGR valve, and MAF sensor they have a built-in way to look for feedback in the form of a drop in intake airflow, from which EGR flow can be calculated.

· Registered
47 Posts
did the CEL come on at high speeds/revs?

Personally I won’t start cutting & splicing into the wires. Just playing/testing in a non damage way. I will be doing full delete tune & all exhaust changed out down the road anyways. Yesterday morning after approx 100kms of hwy driving, then slow through small town, then up a hill at hwy speed is when CEL came on. The CEL code is for lack of EGR air flow each time. All I know is I have been gaining on distance travelled before CEL comes on. As mentioned, with no blocker plate we went 2 days without CEL. With size of hole in blocker plate now 100km. Will enlarge hole this morning.

Bloc, you might be right on system. Can’t hurt to keep trying at this point. All I know is I personally won’t ever own a 13+ without a egr/dpf delete tune after seeing what the 2 posted pic’s of your guys intakes. Our Gen 1 has never been touched & at 175k kms it had less than 1/10 of the amount of snot in intake. More of a light film than anything.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Bloc, you might be right on system. Can’t hurt to keep trying at this point. All I know is I personally won’t ever own a 13+ without a egr/dpf delete tune after seeing what the 2 posted pic’s of your guys intakes. Our Gen 1 has never been touched & at 175k kms it had less than 1/10 of the amount of snot in intake. More of a light film than anything.
I'd reserve judgement until I get a manifold to clean and post how to clean the ports in the head. I've spent a bit of time staring at the engine compartment and see a manifold swap as not being too terribly difficult. Will know more about the intake ports when I get the manifold off.. I'm curious how deep they are.

But the trade-off with the newer engine is that significantly bigger turbo. I'm sure you are aware of the differences in power levels when tuned..

· Registered
13 Posts
Try adapting the DPF with VCDS to trick the ecu as if there is a new DPF. I did this recently and all of my egr, and boost request codes went away. Then I forced a regen on the DPF several times until the level was down below the max threshold of auto regen.

My fault. I got Malone stage 2 tune, and didn't complete deletes. Malone resent me a stage 2 tune with out deletes. My vehicle has taken care of its self since the above issues. Running stage 2 with Ad Blue, DPF, EGR all intact.

· Registered
47 Posts
Well it has been many days & many miles & no CEL even at -18c. Haven’t noticed any slower engine warm ups either. I’m at 13/32” hole size right now in block off plate. Not going to say it’s a done deal, as CEL’s can show up at any time for a multitude for reasons. I had done a forced regen prior to starting this test. EGT’s pre-turbo are much lower while diving & always right at 400 degs when stopping & placing trans in park :)

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Plot twist: the German manifold, while used, has VERY little coating inside. I’ll get some pics when I can and need to try and figure out how many miles it has, but if it’s anything other than nearly new there is something very different about the EGR or PCV systems in European 3.0 TDIs

Will update when I can

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

This thing is off a Q5 which is lighter than a touareg or Q7 but still.. VERY little clogging. It's actually clean enough that I might just clean the ports in the head and install it.. then deal with figuring out how to clean my old manifold as a spare later.

Still trying to figure out how many miles it had.

· Registered
22 Posts
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Bumper Rim

Does anyone know how much work it is to remove the intake manifold to clean it? My EGR was pretty sooty. My throttle lags and I’m wondering if the IM might be clogged?

· Registered
11 Posts
Cleaned this while everything was off to re seal the oil cooler. Used 4 cans of liquimoly diesel intake cleaner, and hot water through a pressure washer for the plastic parts. The cleaning itself didn’t take too long,but would be worth buying a clean manifold to swap out as that’s the hardest to clean. The intake manifold can be a pain to remove, plan for a couple hours.
CNRB 211k km, EGR disabled since 170k km. Driving is noticeably smoother, see about 0.5 l/100km savings in the couple days since.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Bicycle part Engineering

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Automotive lighting Eyewear Gas

Headgear Eyewear Personal protective equipment Wrist Motor vehicle

after
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Motorcycle

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Audio equipment Motor vehicle Rim

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,953 Posts
Ok, well, that won't show up on your buildup. I'm not sure I'll get around to taking mine apart before winter, but if I do, we shall see if the additive makes any difference as I've been using it for the last 60k if not longer.... I'll keep you posted.

· Registered
11 Posts
I’d been planning to do mine for a while, but a slow oil leak in the cooler prompted me.. it’s worth pulling the EGR to inspect the valley for leaks when the intake is off.. the intake is the hardest part of the job.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Auto part Nut Font

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electric blue Automotive wheel system Auto part

· Registered
74 Posts
I’d been planning to do mine for a while, but a slow oil leak in the cooler prompted me.. it’s worth pulling the EGR to inspect the valley for leaks when the intake is off.. the intake is the hardest part of the job. View attachment 254139
View attachment 254140
Nice post, think I have this issue - looks like it's common for oil leaks and coolant leaks due to oil cooler gaskets and the thermostat -I am losing coolant, see some wetness in V of engine down under oil cooler, so need to go in soon myself - to replace the gaskets and the thermostat around the oil cooler - I am at 145k miles, did you just replace gaskets or also the oil cooler itself?

· Registered
11 Posts
Nice post, think I have this issue - looks like it's common for oil leaks and coolant leaks due to oil cooler gaskets and the thermostat -I am losing coolant, see some wetness in V of engine down under oil cooler, so need to go in soon myself - to replace the gaskets and the thermostat around the oil cooler - I am at 145k miles, did you just replace gaskets or also the oil cooler itself?
Just gaskets and plastics fittings that broke on disassembly. Thoroughly cleaned the cooler though

21 - 40 of 40 Posts