Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Yep, that’s a mess. I’m working on a simple $0 fix for that mess, that anyone can do in their driveway for $0 with regular hand tools. Not sure if it will work on a 2013+ but I’m experimenting on our 2009 3.0L TDI & have gone a few days so far without a CEL.

· Registered
47 Posts
Interesting that the 13+ changed the egr/intake system. Is this typical for that much build up with only 100,000 miles ?

At 175,000kms our 09 only had a light film....a bit less than 1/16”. One thing I have noticed is the egt’s at immediate stopping, engine still running is the highest I have ever seen on any diesel engine. Always well over 400 deg’s & sometimes over 500. And this is the factory get probe sensors after the turbo, so it is much hotter before the turbo, which is the proper place to measure egt’s. I don’t like shutting down my diesel engines until 300 degs pre-turbo. This would take 10 mins idling with the 3.0L TDI. Crazy. So, I started looking at the egr & intake system of the Touareg.

There is a simple throttle valve motor attached to charge air pipe before the intake plenum on a Gen 1. I have pulled the close off disc completely out of throttle motor which motor still turns the shaft but it can’t block off any charge air when egr requests disc to close & at least that part won’t throw a CEL because it thinks it’s still working. My understanding is the throttle motor closes approx 3/4 of the way when egr requests. This allows the egr flow to pick up by slowing down the charge air & egr provides the rest of flow to engine, until egr no longer requests.
On the Dodge Cummins ( most of my experience ), we simply pull the electrical plug off throttle motor for customers that don’t want to do a delete programmer....it stops motor from working & allowing egr flow into intake...it throws a CEL but gains the customer 2 mpg. With delete programmer, a egr/cooler delete & dpf delete the 6.7L Cummins gains 5mpg.

So I also cut a small piece of tin to make a blocking plate & drilled I believe a 3/16" hole in middle & inserted it in egr runner pipe to intake, where it hooks up before the “Y” of the intake plenum. 1st cold morning 11kms down CEL. Drove back home & noticed just under 350 degs for egt’s in park & dropping fast. That’s an approvement on egt's. So I drilled a slightly bigger hole & afternoon same drive ( we have to drive our daughter to catch school bus 11kms one way & also trying to have a constant for testing/experimenting ), no CEL....Getting somewhere !!!

Next morning another CEL. Tells me the colder mornings, the egr requests more than afternoon warmer drive. So for the heck of it, I took the blocking plate with hole completely out of equation....so back to stock/open from egr to intake plenum.....not ideal but needed to prove a point to myself. Afternoon drive, no CEL. Next morning, no CEL. Ok, that’s progress. 2 days later & drives longer than 50kms, no CEL.

So, I drilled a larger hole & re-inserted block off plate again. Next morning, CEL. so, I’m going to enlarge hole size until morning drive no longer throws a CEL.
I’m eventually going to do the ECM egr/dpf/scr delete but not until I find out what is going to happen with the 3.0L Gen 1 dieselgate mess. Here in Canada, VW is dragging their feet & nobody knows what will happen. Until then, I’m going to experiment.

Mark

· Registered
47 Posts
I don’t mean to hijack your thread Bloc....just hoping if I can figure this out, maybe we all can learn from it & maybe something similar will work for the 13+ engines. Only takes a few mins to do, so easy pezy.
With a slightly bigger hole in block off plate, my wife drove approx 35kms this morning before CEL came on. So that is an improvement from 11kms the earlier cold mornings. Just finished drilling hole 2 bit sizes up, so I’ll see what happens tomorrow morning.

· Registered
47 Posts
Will do. Wife left this morning for a 2hr one way shopping trip. She reported she made it about 100kms before CEL. Gaining approx 40km per drill size now. Who knows, it might just be a temp thing or maybe it will work long term. Best thing is nothing gets damaged or modified. Can simply put back to stock if this doesn’t work :)

· Registered
47 Posts
did the CEL come on at high speeds/revs?

Id be curious to know what the resistance is of the egr sensor at cold, normal operating and after some time at 100km/h without any mods. Then take same readings with mods installed. Might be a simple resistor fix by bypassing egr temp/flow sensor? My guess is with the mods, the sensor does not detect egr flow gasses as being hot enough ie, insufficient flow CEL. Assuming this is your error code?
Personally I won’t start cutting & splicing into the wires. Just playing/testing in a non damage way. I will be doing full delete tune & all exhaust changed out down the road anyways. Yesterday morning after approx 100kms of hwy driving, then slow through small town, then up a hill at hwy speed is when CEL came on. The CEL code is for lack of EGR air flow each time. All I know is I have been gaining on distance travelled before CEL comes on. As mentioned, with no blocker plate we went 2 days without CEL. With size of hole in blocker plate now 100km. Will enlarge hole this morning.

Bloc, you might be right on system. Can’t hurt to keep trying at this point. All I know is I personally won’t ever own a 13+ without a egr/dpf delete tune after seeing what the 2 posted pic’s of your guys intakes. Our Gen 1 has never been touched & at 175k kms it had less than 1/10 of the amount of snot in intake. More of a light film than anything.

· Registered
47 Posts
Well it has been many days & many miles & no CEL even at -18c. Haven’t noticed any slower engine warm ups either. I’m at 13/32” hole size right now in block off plate. Not going to say it’s a done deal, as CEL’s can show up at any time for a multitude for reasons. I had done a forced regen prior to starting this test. EGT’s pre-turbo are much lower while diving & always right at 400 degs when stopping & placing trans in park :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts