Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2008 T2 V6 3.0 TDI RHD
147 Posts
If you are one of the lucky ones with alloy Y piece, then you could burn it clean:
it took years to build up so cleaning will take some time. When i replaced egr cooler, i decided to do some preventative maintenance. I tried oven cleaner on the plastic swirl flap manifold. It took ages, was very messy and gave up after 4 sprays, brushes and rinses. I could still scrape bits off with a screw driver but was worried something might dislodge into cylinder so I left it as is. It was no where near totally blocked to begin with though. i I did not try burning alloy intake as that looked ok apart from egr hole for which I scraped clean with a screw driver. How can this be better for environment unless the theory is to bin those caked up parts. Egr delete might be on the cards soon me thinks.
BTW - Plastic = more parts sales for vw

· Registered
2008 T2 V6 3.0 TDI RHD
147 Posts
I suppose you need to eliminate one or the other but wouldn't it be better to get rid of soot from egr? Maybe you lose lubrication properties to turbo,swirl flaps and cylinder valves by installing a Catch Can?

· Registered
2008 T2 V6 3.0 TDI RHD
147 Posts
Hi Mark, can you throw up some photos to help describe where and what you are doing? Is it at the end of egr system? I imagine all this work at the beginning of egr system would be very labour intensive.

· Registered
2008 T2 V6 3.0 TDI RHD
147 Posts
Will do. Wife left this morning for a 2hr one way shopping trip. She reported she made it about 100kms before CEL. Gaining approx 40km per drill size now. Who knows, it might just be a temp thing or maybe it will work long term. Best thing is nothing gets damaged or modified. Can simply put back to stock if this doesn’t work :)
did the CEL come on at high speeds/revs?

Id be curious to know what the resistance is of the egr sensor at cold, normal operating and after some time at 100km/h without any mods. Then take same readings with mods installed. Might be a simple resistor fix by bypassing egr temp/flow sensor? My guess is with the mods, the sensor does not detect egr flow gasses as being hot enough ie, insufficient flow CEL. Assuming this is your error code?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts