Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was driving my parents 2013 150TDI V6 last week and started going up an incline. About half way up the car started to shudder and seemed to loose a little bit of power. Not much time later the engine started to make a distinct clatter or rattle and the power loss got worse.

I quickly pulled over the car and turned it off and called VW road side assist. It was towed to the nearest dealer and they claim that the engine oil was overfilled and that they have drained 15 Liters from the engine.

We only purchased the car about two months ago (second hand) and have travelled about 6000kms in that time. This is the first time the car has displayed any strange behaviour.

My questions are:

1. Does this sound like the result of an engine that has been overfilled with around double the amount of required oil?

2. Would something have not happened before travelling 6000kms with an overfilled engine?

Since digging deeper with the service history - it turns out the car was in the local VW workshop having the rear main seal replaced shortly before we purchased the car. They are claiming however that they would not have overfilled the oil and that we must have done it prior to purchasing the car (yeah - because my mum is going to go and purchase 7 litres of oil and pour it into the engine bay).

The fight continues over who will pay for this - but I just wanted to get any opinions you may have on if this diagnosis seems correct.

Cheers!

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That all sounds very odd [no pun intended!].

Have any of the family topped the car up with oil whilst you've had it?

I'm not suggesting you have added 7 litres in one go! But I think the oil level on those is done electronically so you may have been adding oil when it wasn't needed if there is a fault on the signalling.

The other way oil level increases on a diesel is if the diesel itself is getting past the cylinders and into the sump. In such circumstances it is then possibly for the engine to start running of its own accord and it won't stop even if you turn the engine off. Unless you can find a way to stall the engine if this happens, it usually detonates itself!

·
Registered
215 Posts
It may be that you have serious problems. You should involve the seller because there may be some seller's warranty applicable, if you bought from a car sales business.

Perhaps somebody has added the extra oil inadvertently before you bought it or perhaps after. You should enquire.

It is possible but unlikely that there has been diesel blow-by to contaminate your oil to that extent in the short time that you have had the car.

I am not aware of anybody else with a 150TDI having the problems you describe.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.