Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to buy a 2012 Touareg TDI Lux from our credit union. It's a repo with 86k miles on it, and may have a few issues. I put my OBDeleven computer on it today and found numerous faults even through the CEL was not on. Most of the faults are simple, like light bulbs burned out. However, there were several faults from the engine section that concern me:
  • Fuel Rail/System Pressure-to low
  • Turbo/Super Charger underboost
  • Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration . . .
  • SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Under Threshold.
Any idea what the likely issue or issues might be? Would a plugged DPF possibly cause all of these issues? It is overdue for a fuel filter change.

I haven't driven it yet, but plan to do that tomorrow. It does run normally.

Also, if the DPF couldn't regenerate, wouldn't there be a warning light on for that?

I am a VW enthusiast and own 2 Jettas and a Tig, but this is my first experience with a Touareg and the 3.0 TDI. I am familiar with the 1.9TDIs

Any advise or suggestions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Hard to say. Especially being a repo who knows what its service history is like. You can try to pull the VIN at the dealership or a Carfax and see what's been reported.

Typically emissions faults will throw a check engine light but not all the time. I might be because it's been sitting around for a long time too... Has it had a battery attached the whole time? Did the battery go dead?

·
Registered
09 TDi
670 Posts
Id verify that its still covered by the AEM warranty and see if the CU will let you take it to a dealer for a $150 "diagnostic". They will pull codes and tell you whats covered and whats not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. It has been maintained by a VW/Audi dealer and has had the major 10K/20K checks done on schedule with the exception of the 80K check which is now 6k overdue.

A couple people mentioned a low battery. I don't know if that happened, but several of the other codes support that idea as well (implausible signals for switches or sensors). The other thing that you mentioned that is very helpful is the extended emissions warranty. I was not aware of that. That gives me a bit more comfort in buying it as is.

I'm going to do more digging today.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
There is no emissions warranty guarantee. Look the VIN up

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did confirm that it does have the extended emission warranty. It drove great. I put a normal odbII reader on it and it only had one pending code for SCR NOx Catalyst Efficiency Under Threshold. I haven't cleared any codes yet since I don't want to lose my bargaining chip when we start negotiating.

Everything else seemed good excepted I noticed a little cupping on both drivers side tires (almost new tires). Not too bad, but enough to hear it when driving. I have had problems with that on my Tig with 18" wheels. Never figured out why it does it. Shocks, alignment are good, but started very quickly after installing new tires. Have to rotate the tires frequently and switch sides to keep it under control (tires have nondirectional tread . . .).

Do the Touareg a have problems with that? The tires are Toyo (19").

Thanks!

·
Registered
09 TDi
670 Posts
Don't clear a warrantable code ever. let Your dealer pull them so they can get repair authorization. My dealer verifies the codes then sends me home while we wait for parts :)

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Use vagcom to really check codes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. It has been rare that I have had a car that was still under warranty, so I hadn't thought about that.

·
Registered
09 TDi
670 Posts
VW techs have to follow what they call Guided Fault Finding (GFF). It leads them step by step thru whatever the diagnostic process is and if they hit a hard stop they have to fix it before they can move on. It's GFF that green lights warranty work.

when I got my T2 it had a glow plug issue but they couldn't get past the back ordered glow plug module to even diagnose the glow plugs. Once the module arrived they replaced it then found 2 bad glow plugs which they also fixed. my service dept has given me zero push back when I bring them codes and when they say they need an extra day I thank them for being thorough.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could be a hard limp mode, due to too many failed regen attempts. Happened to me a couple months ago after picking it up out of the body shop, same codes. Had to pull over clear the codes Was the dpf light or glow plug light on? With the obdeleven you can check how full the dpf actually is that will give you a chance to rule it out. Otherwise it could be a number of things, but like it's been stated if under warranty it's a dealer visit away from repairs

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No lights on, including the CEL. I didn't think about checking the DPF with my OBDeleven. I'll try that next time.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
What's vagcom say

·
Registered
995 Posts
I'm puzzled as to why the 2012 wouldn't have an emissions warranty for 10yrs and 100,000 miles. I own a 2016 and d have that warranty. It would cover all emissions equipment including HPFP and DPF.

These cars also don't like short trips and will throw a DFP light. Get the car out regularly for a good healthy drive so a regen can take place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts