Club Touareg Forum banner

81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Ok, I don't recommend getting a hitch installed this way.
1. Get rear-ended -->Click here
2. order hitch from etrailer, and wiring from wv.parts.com

Body repair shop doesn't know where the electrical hook up goes. (It wasn't a vw hitch)
I can't find anything on vw.parts

Buy this bracket.

Mounting Bracket for Pollak 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Vehicle End Pollak Accessories and Parts PK12711U

I fabricated mine out of some Simpson Tie strapping material in the hardware section at Home Depot to this bracket. And some self tapping teck screws and a makita drill gun. mounted the two brackets together, then used a 3" SS band clamp from the plumbing section at Home Depot. Get creative. Don't expect the auto body shop to solve a problem you created by getting them to do your dirty work. It's time for you to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.

Mounting Bracket for Pollak 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Vehicle End Pollak Accessories and Parts PK12711U

·
Registered
84 Posts
It's time for you to roll up your sleeves and get dirty.
Thanks for the part information!
I ordered the part, and if I lived in Southern California I would roll up my sleeves and get dirty. But that's not going to work for me where I live until April.:-({|=

·
Registered
1 Posts
Once you have installed the female plug in your car, then purchase from UHAUL item # 39008 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for trailers with LED Lights and #57003 7-pin to 7-pin for all others. Unfortunately you need one or the other because they have the electrical conversion from European lighting to US.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Once you have installed the female plug in your car, then purchase from UHAUL item # 39008 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for trailers with LED Lights and #57003 7-pin to 7-pin for all others. Unfortunately you need one or the other because they have the electrical conversion from European lighting to US.
Not always necessary on 2011 and later Tregs pulling trailer with LED lights. I have two adapters, a 7 to 5 and a 7 to 4, neither has the resistors and work fine on my LED light trailers.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks, this preparing to tow with a touareg requires special education. So many twists, compared to my old truck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
After reading all the way through this thread I'm still confused about one thing, is there wiring at the front of Treg ( in the cab, under dash, ect. ) ?
There seems to be conflicting info here

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
After reading all the way through this thread I'm still confused about one thing, is there wiring at the front of Treg ( in the cab, under dash, ect. ) ?
There seems to be conflicting info here
Wiring should be there as long as your Treg came with the factory towing package on it. If no package, then no wiring. I've never looked for mine since I will never tow anything requiring a brake controller.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just out of interest, I found the factory wiring under dash, and plugged a prodigy P2 controller in and tested with trailer to find everything working correctly. not sure why others have had problems with brake controllers not working properly but very happy mine was "plug and play" basically :)

. ( 2006 V10 Tdi badged as My07 With factory hitch )

·
Registered
487 Posts
The "factory wiring under dash" is there - whether the car has the factory towing package installed or not. You clearly did. Those who did not - are the ones with a lot more work to do before finishing the job. Those are the folks who make up the other 8 pages of this thread.

//greg//

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a 2009 VR6 as a tow vehicle, purchased a used trailer and found I could test the wiring as the adapters seemed incompatible. Nice surprise.

For those with a tow kit but no wiring adapter, I just purchased one on Amazon for $14 to my door. Tested and worked perfectly.

Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket by POLLAK

Pollak 11-893P 7-Way Sealed RV OEM Socket : Amazon.com : Automotive

Most of the rreviews were from VW based SUVs so this seems to be way too common for such pricey trucks.

To install just unscrew the 4 screws on the cover plate to the left of the hitch, unplug the cover plate from the universal wiring adapter, plug in this 7 pin Pollack adapter, replace screws, enjoy.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts