Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did this whole thing a couple of months ago. Mine came with everything but the adaptor. If you are looking at the back, the VW installed female plug is under a small plastic cover to the left of the receiver.

Unfortunately I did not research ahead of time and ended up running around in circles the day I went to pick up my new camper. I wound up having to buy the dealer part. It actually says Pollak on the part in VW packaging (for 5x the price ... ouch). On the first trip, they didn't have a clue and tried to send me 2 hours away to a different dealer for the wrong part. I was able to figure it out after a little time on this site. Get the adaptor from a trailer or auto parts shop (or order it online). You will need to know the specific part number, because they will look at you like you are from the moon when you tell them you are looking for a VW wiring adaptor. I'll try to post some pictures, but there are plenty around on this site. Here are the different parts.

Vw Parts:
Old = 7LO-055-305-UA. Seems to be obsolete.
New = 7LO-055-305-N
Pollak 11-893 is the same thing.

There is also a ZVw-808-004 (which the dealer tried to direct me to), but this seems to be an adaptor for LED lights.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Vw Parts:
Old = 7LO-055-305-UA. Seems to be obsolete.
New = 7LO-055-305-N
Pollak 11-893 is the same thing.
[/QUOTE]

I couldn't find the Pollak 11-893 locally in San Diego but another brand that plugs right in perfectly is Curt 55415. I got it at San Diego Trailer Supply for $29 and they knew exactly what I needed for a VW.

Scott

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Are all of these cars, even without the trailer hitch option, pre wired for the pollack 11-893 P or Curt 55415 7 pin adaptors? I will probably go with a Tekonsha Prodigy RF for my brake controller, and add a Curt hitch if need be, but I am concerned about wiring for the 7 way adaptor on a 19 foot electric braked trailer, and power to the trailer battery also while driving for recharging the trailer battery.

What are my options if I have to wire the lights and 7 way adaptor myself?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are all of these cars, even without the trailer hitch option, pre wired for the pollack 11-893 P or Curt 55415 7 pin adaptors? I will probably go with a Tekonsha Prodigy RF for my brake controller, and add a Curt hitch if need be, but I am concerned about wiring for the 7 way adaptor on a 19 foot electric braked trailer, and power to the trailer battery also while driving for recharging the trailer battery.

If you didn't buy a Touareg yet I would order one with factory hitch.Then it will be all wired for you.
Then all you have to do is install your brake controller and hook it up under the dash.(Which is totally talked about in the forums with pics and all)And just buy the 7 way adaptor, either from VW or other stores. They all have them.
IF you don't want to attach your electric brake controller under your dash (like screw) there is also a remote control one. Also mentioned on Club Touareg. A 5 min. set up as some one said.

·
Registered
860 Posts

I'm assuming that you're in the market for a new one. My advice to you, if you want to pull something is: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT HAVE THE FACTORY HITCH INSTALLED. PERIOD. While the Curt is a great hitch in my opinion (others may disagree, but that's fine), the issue is INSTALLING the hitch, and not so much the hitch itself.

While it IS possible to install the hitch, and the wiring, I personally think that it's not a job that should be taken lightly. It's a fairly involved process. All-in-all, it took me somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 hours to put mine in, and get the coding done. I had issues with my wiring as well, because the two harnesses that I needed for the module were literally buried in the vehicle, and I had to dig them out.

That included about an hour that I spent "fixing" the trim parts that broke when I took them off. I did NOT horse on the pieces either. I was going very gingerly with them, and it wasn't until I had two of the tabs broke off that I actually realized that they were broke. After that, I still broke TWO more going very very slowly. The only way that I found to get them out was to push the clips out from the back, but that wasn't easy either.

Good luck...

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
If you didn't buy a Touareg yet I would order one with factory hitch.Then it will be all wired for you.
Then all you have to do is install your brake controller and hook it up under the dash.(Which is totally talked about in the forums with pics and all)And just buy the 7 way adaptor, either from VW or other stores. They all have them.
IF you don't want to attach your electric brake controller under your dash (like screw) there is also a remote control one. Also mentioned on Club Touareg. A 5 min. set up as some one said.

You have no idea how hard it is to pick up a new 2012 touareg in white, with just a trailer hitch, for a great price... I will be flying to get what I want... in a Sport without Nav.... everything left is Lux or sport with Nav. My T'rag will be a tow vehicle, the less I spend on the tow vehicle, the more I have left to spend on the travel trailer...

·
Registered
157 Posts
You have no idea how hard it is to pick up a new 2012 touareg in white, with just a trailer hitch, for a great price... I will be flying to get what I want... in a Sport without Nav.... everything left is Lux or sport with Nav. My T'rag will be a tow vehicle, the less I spend on the tow vehicle, the more I have left to spend on the travel trailer...
As you read responds #65 get the factory hitch...so either find one in stock "somewhere" or order one with exactly what you want and "wait" patiently!
We did. We ordered ours October 2011 and got it Febr.2012..worth the wait.
Oh and it is white:D

·
Registered
860 Posts
As you read responds #65 get the factory hitch...so either find one in stock "somewhere" or order one with exactly what you want and "wait" patiently!
We did. We ordered ours October 2011 and got it Febr.2012..worth the wait.
Oh and it is white:D
I do not consider myself an expert on this install, and I'm just really one guy on an island, with one opinion, so take what as you will.

My point more than anything was, I don't want someone to look at the job and think that it's a pretty easy thing. It very well may be for some, but it sure wasn't for me, and I'm just relaying my experience. It's definitely not something that you get in a hurry with. That WILL result in something broken, you or the car, or more like both!...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I do not consider myself an expert on this install, and I'm just really one guy on an island, with one opinion, so take what as you will.

My point more than anything was, I don't want someone to look at the job and think that it's a pretty easy thing. It very well may be for some, but it sure wasn't for me, and I'm just relaying my experience. It's definitely not something that you get in a hurry with. That WILL result in something broken, you or the car, or more like both!...
Agreed CADman,
The only reason I said what I said was because from what I understand Niner does not have a Touareg yet. So for me (not an expert at all) the easy thing would be order it with the hitch.

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
If you have the factory hitch, you have the wiring. Take a phillips head and remove the four screws holding the plastic plate in place, where the Pollack socket belongs. Once it is free, everything should be obvious.

If it is not obvious, well, i will continue. The factory wiring is attached to the back of the plastic plate. Undo the connection, very simple, and plug in the Pollack adapter (keeping in mind that the time it has taken to type this message is twice as long as you will need to complete everything I have just described). Once the adapter is plugged in, use the four screws in your hand to secure the Pollack adapter to the car. Total installation time, 126 seconds, or if you prefer, one-half of a beer.

I completed this process roughly a month ago. My 2011 needed no additional programming to properly and FULLY operate my enclosed car hauler, including trailer brakes (please remember that a trailer brake controller is needed to operate the trailer brakes). As I noted above in one of your comments, your trailer does not have brakes. As such, you need not worry about this, assuming of course that the total load is less than 2000lbs, trailer weight included.

Good luck, but I promise you my dead grandmother, rest her soul, could accomplish this. There is no reason for concern, just order the adapter from E-trailer and everything else will work itself out.
I paid $140 for a 7 pin adapter plug. What I have is a 7 blade male socket with no cover sitting at a 45* angle to the ground with no cover over the end of the male parts to protect the electrical from grime, dirt and corrosion. I also found out they did NOT include my MDI IPOD cable that's also on the list.

Pretty pissed off about how they go through these cars and prep them. Seems like expensive stuff ends up missing. :mad:

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I paid $140 for a 7 pin adapter plug. What I have is a 7 blade male socket with no cover sitting at a 45* angle to the ground with no cover over the end of the male parts to protect the electrical from grime, dirt and corrosion. I also found out they did NOT include my MDI IPOD cable that's also on the list.

Pretty pissed off about how they go through these cars and prep them. Seems like expensive stuff ends up missing. :mad:
What a ripoff...I can't even remember seeing a 7 pin connector without a spring loaded waterproof cover. They cost all of $10 at most auto parts stores.

VW is ridiculous in saying they can't predict the end users need for a specific plug type, North America uses a 7 blade hookup for everything, and everyone sells 7 ot 4, 7 to 5 or 7 to 6 as required to hook up various trailers.

I suppose they can make good money selling $10 adapters for $140 bucks.

All 4 of my Tregs came like this and I got pissed off all 4 times.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Niner, niner!
Everybody has a 7 blade socket.
we paid $20.- at our dealer before we found out they we $10.-.. so $140.- really??????
Everybody is towing and I never heard anybody complain about the grime!
Started driving and enjoy your Treg!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes. Brakes, aux power, and backup lights. Thanks for the amplification

//greg//

Looking for some help here. Have a 2012 TDI with OEM hitch and wired for plug but had no plug, just a cap. My trailer place put the plug in to use with a Prodigy RF controller. The 7 way is getting lights but no charge or brake controller at the connector. Prodigy handheld flashes NC. VW dealer is telling me that they need to install a vehicle control module for a hardwired brake controller, which I told them does not make sense. I just need the charge line to work. Any ideas? I am trying to pull a 23' Airstream. Hitch works great but this is preventing me from using the trailer- no brakes. What do they need to do? The dealer does not know what to do. Don't they just need to enable the charge line through Ecu?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Are you the first owner? If yes, was the factory tow package on the car when you took delivery?

//greg//

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you the first owner? If yes, was the factory tow package on the car when you took delivery? //greg//
Hi Greg, yes and yes.

OEM tow package. The car sat at the dealer today and they advised that they needed to order a part (under warranty) that will supposedly enable the hot lead or charge line to the 7 way plug. I was also told that even once it's installed, no guarantees that it will fix the problem. I am seriously in awe that VW would put a hitch on a tow capable vehicle where really the only use would be a bike rack or towing a small trailer with no brakes. I will find out next week I suppose and hopefully at that time it will get fixed, rf can be paired and life can go on. If you have any other ideas, I am open for suggestions. Thank you!

·
Registered
487 Posts
In that case, I suspect they'll be replacing a partially failed towing module. This module is not to be confused with a brake controller. The towing module is an OE device that senses the electrical load when a trailer plug receptacle is plugged into your 7-way receptacle. In response, the module makes switchable voltage to the appropriate blades - including the one connecting to your trailer brakes. If not the module itself, it may be a damaged/defective inline box connector (input/output).

Trailer braking requirements vary by location, and Porsche is a global product. As a general rule, US- and Euro-spec Cayennes can tow up to 1650 pounds (trailer+load) before trailer brakes are stipulated. But due to global variances, there's really no such thing as a "global brake controller". Hence, the owner responsibility to conform to towing/braking regs (and equipment) within his own geographical area

//greg//

·
Banned
3,336 Posts
Hi Greg, yes and yes.

OEM tow package. The car sat at the dealer today and they advised that they needed to order a part (under warranty) that will supposedly enable the hot lead or charge line to the 7 way plug. I was also told that even once it's installed, no guarantees that it will fix the problem. I am seriously in awe that VW would put a hitch on a tow capable vehicle where really the only use would be a bike rack or towing a small trailer with no brakes. I will find out next week I suppose and hopefully at that time it will get fixed, rf can be paired and life can go on. If you have any other ideas, I am open for suggestions. Thank you!
Is your Prodigy "paired" yet? The battery on a travel trailer, if fully charged, can cause difficulty in getting the Prodigy RF to work properly.

My procedure is this:

1. Turn on some incandescent lights on your travel trailer. You need to create a load on the battery for the Prodigy RF to see, especially if you keep the trailer battery topped off with a full charge from a solar panel.

Unplug everything Tekonsha, and trailer from black box.

2. Start the motor on the Touareg.
3. Plug in the brake controller unit in your power outlet in the dash.
4. Plug in the black box.
5. Plug in the travel trailer to the connection on the back of the black box, with the incandescent lights turned on, to create a load.

It will take 5 to 10 seconds for the black box to orient itself, but if your Prodigy RF is properly paired, it should show the c. on the brake controller in the cab.

If it does not, try disconnecting the battery on the travel trailer, just the ground wire, and repeat the process.

I have to go through this process every single time with my 2012 sport tdi, Prodigy RF and travel trailer. I now pull the solar panel connection to my travel trailer battery at day break before a trailering day, to get the TT battery down a bit on charge so that it makes it easier for the Prodigy RF to see the load back there. The charge state of the travel trailer battery has to be lower than the charge state of the car battery, so turn all accessories, fans, lights, everything off on the touareg at idle when connecting the prodigy.

Good luck, and get back to us and let us know if the procedure above works for you. Keep in mind, the prodigy system has to be "paired" first between controller up front and the black box, with the "tester" that comes with the Prodigy RF in the box.

Do a search here, about having to put tape on the 5th blade, or blade at the 5 oclock position to get your Prodigy RF to "pair' properly with the "tester" that came with your Prodigy, which will create an electrical load if plugged in to the black box. Also test at the electrical bumper connection with lights, and turn indicator and brakes stepped on and turned on.

Sometimes LED brake lights and running lights don't draw enough current to get things to pair up, in that case, you need to plug in an adaptor of some sort for LED lights.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, I don't recommend getting a hitch installed this way.
1. Get rear-ended -->Click here
2. order hitch from etrailer, and wiring from wv.parts.com

Body repair shop doesn't know where the electrical hook up goes. (It wasn't a vw hitch)
I can't find anything on vw.parts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Ok, I don't recommend getting a hitch installed this way.
1. Get rear-ended -->Click here
2. order hitch from etrailer, and wiring from wv.parts.com

Body repair shop doesn't know where the electrical hook up goes. (It wasn't a vw hitch)
I can't find anything on vw.parts
The electrical hook up doesn't go anywhere in that hitch. They'll have to weld a plate for it, another reason why you should go OEM.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts