Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
My utility trailer has separate amber turn indicator lights, separate from the brake and tail light unit. This trailer is wired for the European 7 round pin system.
Is there any way to make the amber indicators function independently with the standard NA trailer wiring scheme on my 2012 tdi exec?

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you need help with the pairing, let me know.

//greg//
I wanted to belatedly thank you for the offer of help. I got the trailer emulator and everything works like a charm. This thing (Prodigy RF) is genius. I keep the remote in the trailer so no matter what the brakes can be used.

V

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a long thread. Someone help me out: I have a new 2012 Touareg TDI with the factory hitch, but not the factory wiring adapter. From what I've gathered in this thread, the Pollak 11-893P connector is a direct replacement for the VW equivalent.

Do I also need the Pollak mounting bracket 12-711U?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,386 Posts
This is a long thread. Someone help me out: I have a new 2012 Touareg TDI with the factory hitch, but not the factory wiring adapter. From what I've gathered in this thread, the Pollak 11-893P connector is a direct replacement for the VW equivalent.

Thanks!
There is no VW equivalent, that is the plug they will more then likely sell you for a way over priced amount. You may not need the bracket if you have a cover near the hitch with four screws holding a plate. Remove the screws to reveal the wire harness for the plug. Plug up the connector and then use the same screws to hold it onto the vehical.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Thanks!
Nope, just the 11-893P. Should not need any othe coding either, as long as it was factory installed hitch.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
No, the mounting bracket that is just to the left of your trailer hitch receptacle is what you use. Remove the 4 #2 phillips head machine screws, remove the plastic cover, plug the 11-893 7 blade car OEM socket into the wiring harness and using the 4 screws, attach the new socket to the stock mounting bracket. Very easy!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Ok, I got the Pollak plug. It seems to fit the car's wiring perfectly.

But when I removed the factory wiring plug bracket from the frame and attempted to remove the dummy cover, 2 plastic retainer clips fell out. I've spent over an hour trying to figure out how they go back together. Yes I may be an idiot.

One clip is gray, the other black. I know how the gray clip attaches to the plug on he car. But I cannot for the life of me figure out how the black clip attaches and holds the whole thing together. Without the clips installed there's nothing holding everything together. Nothing looks broken. Yet no matter how I try to insert the black clip it falls right out.

How in the heck do the 2 clips go together to hold all the parts in place? What am I doing wrong?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Hmmm, all you normally have to do is remove the blanking cover.... Not the entire mount! Have no
Idea about the retainer clips, can you post a pic or two and I'll try to have a look at our rig tomorrow?

·
Registered
157 Posts
My Pollak socket was $20 at the dealer parts counter. I installed it and no coding was necessary.
wow, what a difference! We paid $80.- buck for it at the VW dealer!
Now I had phoned them to ask if we have warranty if we use 2 5/16" ball!!
:) we'll see because lots on Club Touareg about that and NO answers ever from VW Canada.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Pollak socket was $35. from the VW dealer parts counter in N. Van. BC.
My Curt 2" ball attachment rattles way too much.
Is there a way to shim this ill fitting setup?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Maybe need a bigger ball?

That's our problem since in the manual it tells you nothing over 2", but here everything is over 2".(Unless for a little utility trailer which we have smaller ball)
I'm waiting for an answer from our VW dealer in Waterloo,ON. But I think I can probably wait a long time! :)
What are you pulling?

·
Registered
431 Posts
see: http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/trailer-hitch-rattle-10139-2.html
Combine that ball with the QUIETRIDE ANTI-RATTLE BALL MOUNT, Softride, Inc. || Anti-Rattle Aluminum Ball Mount || Stop receiver hitch rattle and clank while towing makes towing essentially silent.
Touareg :: BallMount.jpg picture by tmann45 - Photobucket

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up a 2012 Touareg V6 Exec and I'll be back off to the dealer this morning to discuss the socket installation and break controller. The information provided on this thread is invaluable.

A couple questions: All of the above would apply to a V6 as well as TDI, correct? 2nd question, other than the Prodigy RF option, is there a break controller/harness that would EASILY attach to the Touareg wiring (i.e. plug n'play).

It was that simple in my Expedition with the original Prodigy. etrailer seems to indicate all kinds of additional wiring for the new Prodigy. Hoping there is an alternative brake controller and harness I can purchase for plug n'play (plus any necessary coding by the dealer).

Any guidance greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yes, all the same. Engine doesn't matter. As far as brake controllers being plug and play, they all really are. You just need to make the cable that has the vw plug on one end and the brake controller plug on the other.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Any guidance greatly appreciated!
The Expedition is built on the F150 chassis. Pickup-based vehicles since 1996 have had brake controller receptacles as standard equipment. The Touareg is not a pickup, hence no receptacle. So the answer is no, there's no easy brake controller installation other than wireless.

The Tekonsha Prodigy RF is truly wireless. There are two (sometimes 3) components; (a) the brake controller itself, (b) the remote unit, (c) optionally an emulator. The controller is a fairly large weatherproof box that mounts on the trailer itself. It's got a cable coming out of each end, both equipped with 7-blade connectors. One connects to the trailer plug, the other to the receptacle on the Touareg tow bar. This assumes that the Touareg is already equipped with the 7-blade receptacle AND that the car is programmed to understand it's there. The remote unit goes inside the car. My Touareg has a 12v receptacle inside the console storage, and the remote lives there permanently. The remote contains the sensors that tell the controller how much braking to apply to the trailer. Wirelessly.

You need only pair them once, and - for me - that's where the emulator came in handy. When plugged into the Touareg 7-blade receptacle, it simulates an electrical load. That fools the Touareg computer into thinking there's a trailer plugged in. The emulator is needed only for the first half of the pairing process. About half-way through, I unplugged the emulator and plugged in the controller. Job done, took about 5 minutes start to finish. That includes time spent fastening the controller to the trailer (I used heavy duty cable ties).

If you want to pull the trailer with a different vehicle, just move the remote to vehicle #2. If you want to tow a different trailer with your Touareg, just move the controller to trailer #2. If you want to tow a different trailer with a different vehicle, move both the remote and the controller to vehicle/trailer #3. Once paired, the Prodigy RF doesn't care where it works.

//greg//

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks guys, great info. The dealer included the install in the sale so I'll be headed up the wired path first (Prodigy P2). After talking with the Service Manager earlier today he seemed to know exactly what needed to be done (harness and coding) so I'll be relying on his expertise to get set-up for a Memorial Day camping trip in just a few weeks.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks guys, great info. The dealer included the install in the sale so I'll be headed up the wired path first (Prodigy P2). After talking with the Service Manager earlier today he seemed to know exactly what needed to be done (harness and coding) so I'll be relying on his expertise to get set-up for a Memorial Day camping trip in just a few weeks.
Wow! Your Service Manager is a genius! for sure!
We asked a dealer (closest to where we live, but not where we bought the Touareg) and he said he had NEVER heard of it!! :)
Thank goodness we found it ourselves.
Happy Camping!!
(We are picking up out TT on Saturday and planning for a trip to the North West Territories,Canada)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hennink... based on the Service Manager experiences on this thread, I was pleasantly surprised and I'm hoping for a painless experience! We've been camping for many years and I'd hate to miss this trip. Take care

41 - 60 of 92 Posts